HiFace, sensitive information
Aug 4, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #92 of 425
Good point ninjikiran, but I still need to find time to do the SoX tests and draw some preleminary conclusions before editing my first post. Unfortunaltely, I don't know of other ways to find out wether you have small oscillators or not in your unit, unless you decide to open the device.

Aug 4, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #93 of 425

Well I mean a comparison screenshot between old and new oscillators.  Or any numbering on it we can check.  Regardless I just rejected a deal from one purchased in april... just based on the fact that I am paying over $100 for a device that might not be worth as much as it once was.

When paying that much money I rather be sure I am getting exactly what I am paying for.

Keeping an eye on the Audio-G DI as well
Quote:
Good point ninjikiran, but I still need to find time to do the SoX tests and draw some preleminary conclusions before editing my first post. Unfortunaltely, I don't know of other ways to find out wether you have small oscillators or not in your unit, unless you decide to open the device.

Aug 6, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #94 of 425
I would like to see slim.a do a side-by-side review of these two units...

Aug 6, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #96 of 425

Quote:
I am also a happy owner of a (modded) hiface but I hope that m2tech can solve the problem (free of charge) for those who are stuck with such units.

This issue might explain why there were so many disagreements about the sound of the hiface. People were just describing (almost) 2 different devices.

Quote:

Then read the thread,  there are three.

regal.  My man...  This is the only post in this thread by slim.a, and as you can see, there is no side by side comparison. 

I sincerely appreciate your contribution to this forum and I really mean it.  No one can deny the knowledge and help you have been providing to those of us who are technologically impaired, but seriously, sometimes you can be a pain... 

It's all good though, no hard feelings
beerchug.gif

I am still interested in a review of both these units by slim.a...

Peace.

Aug 7, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #98 of 425

Oh I miss understood,  you want SlimA's expert ears and eloquent wordsmanship.  I can appreciate that,  his reviews/comparisons definately are top notch.

Quote:

regal.  My man...  This is the only post in this thread by slim.a, and as you can see, there is no side by side comparison. 

I sincerely appreciate your contribution to this forum and I really mean it.  No one can deny the knowledge and help you have been providing to those of us who are technologically impaired, but seriously, sometimes you can be a pain... 

It's all good though, no hard feelings
beerchug.gif

I am still interested in a review of both these units by slim.a...

Peace.

Aug 14, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #100 of 425
Just wanted to add some data points here. I opened up my jkeny modded HiFace and it had the 2 large MEC clocks, so I got one from the good batch. I ordered my RCA HiFace directly from jkeny on June 30th.

Aug 14, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #101 of 425
Can anyone with known bad unit verify that?

Quote:
Have any of you tried using the application included with the latest hiFace driver called 'display.exe'? It is supposed to show bit depth and sample rate, but it does not work with my hiFace. I wonder if this would mean I have the wrong clocks? I told Marco about this some time ago and he said he would let his programmer know. I havent heard anything since and still no driver update.

Quote:

Mine never worked.

Would it be incorrect to think that if you can realize significant improvements by feeding a below par oscillator (clock) battery power, you will obtain even greater improvements doing the same thing with a good oscillator?

USG

Aug 18, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #102 of 425
Update on mine:  following shahrose's example (Thanks!), I opened up my unit to see what the I have - big or small?  To my surprise, I have one big and one small.  I've heard of people having either/or, but not both...  I am attaching some pics for everyone to see.

I ran some more tests and my modded hiface definitely sounds better than what I had before, which was bit perfect out of my realtek sound card.  With foobar and sox resampler, I also like the original sample rate being it 44, 48, 88 or 96 over the resampled version.  So all my 44khz original sound better than their 48khz resampled versions.  Any thoughts on this??

jkeny is sending me someone else's unit that he just finished (has the correct clocks) - with that gentleman's permission, of course - to run some tests and put this issue to rest once and for all.  The unit in on its way to me now.  I've got two xp machines, my dac has 2 bnc inputs, it's going to be the perfect test environment.  John, thanks again for helping me!!  

I don't know exactly when my unit was purchased, I had John order it directly from m2Tech.  Shahrose had a good point, it would be great if we could establish a time-line as to when exactly these units were manufactured and sold.

Regards,
Danny

Aug 18, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #103 of 425

Quote:
Update on mine:  following shahrose's example (Thanks!), I opened up my unit to see what the I have - big or small?  To my surprise, I have one big and one small one.  I've heard of people having either/or, but not both...  I am attaching some pics for everyone to see.

Thanks for the pics.

USG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back