Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Oct 26, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #31 of 2,784
So, I ordered one. My last (and only) HiFiMan is the HE-500.

Oct 30, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #32 of 2,784
Nov 2, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #34 of 2,784
Hi guys.
Recently received my Edition XS.
Out of the box they definitely have its wow factor (especially after my brain being burned in to the 58x).
Accordingly to the sweep (and my ears) it relatively linear to the 1kHz, then:

1.2k..1.8k dip
2k..2.3k peak
4.8k..5.2k large peak
7.5k..9.3k large dip

5k peak sometimes noticeable, but usually it stays before the edge of sibilance.

My impressions may not be very usefull due to the lack of experience with more expensive stuff, but you can feel free to ask any questions.

Btw, they are quite large compared to the jubilee :)

Attachments

• 20211102_185001.jpg
    20211102_185001.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211102_192009.jpg
    20211102_192009.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Nov 2, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #35 of 2,784
All impressions are useful, just give us your take. Don't hesitate.

Nov 2, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #36 of 2,784
Some of the reviews call it brighter than the original Edition X, which is basically what the Ananda is tonally. We're going to need more precise comparisons to get an exact grasp on their value.
Yeah. The Ananda/XX and HEXv2 have a family similarity, but the treble of the Ananda is bright, clear, does fundamentals well, and is threadebare/almost absent with harmonics. The HEXv2 treble is very harmonic, has much more body, is slower, and not as dynamic.

I agree - I want to see the FR chart, and waterfall plots and see some reviews.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #37 of 2,784
Hi guys.
Recently received my Edition XS.
Out of the box they definitely have its wow factor (especially after my brain being burned in to the 58x).
Accordingly to the sweep (and my ears) it relatively linear to the 1kHz, then:

1.2k..1.8k dip
2k..2.3k peak
4.8k..5.2k large peak
7.5k..9.3k large dip

5k peak sometimes noticeable, but usually it stays before the edge of sibilance.

My impressions may not be very usefull due to the lack of experience with more expensive stuff, but you can feel free to ask any questions.

Btw, they are quite large compared to the jubilee :)

I would say that most HFM cans have a trough at 1800 Hz. But #2-4? Certainly not out of the HEX v2/XX/Ananda family. I suspect that the 5k dip also has ringing - so that might need to be turned down for FR then another 1.5-2,5 db for the ringing, probably in a tight Q range like 6.5 - 8.0.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #38 of 2,784
Okay, so here's my modest take.

In terms of FR they seems to be more similar with the K701 than with Ananda (at least to my ears, YMMV).
Screenshot_20211103-013708_Chrome.jpg

Comfort is acceptable. Not as good as 58x, but better than 4XX / ATH MSR7 / Momentum 3. Hot spot at the top become noticeable after the hour of listening. Cups has decent amount of swivel.

Sound quality is phenomenal. Same feelings when I first tried the 4xx. First thing that is noticeable is enhanced sence of space and staging. Instruments and vocals feels very natural (or I'd say textured), except for the small moment with the 5k peek (with some of the recordings it just a little distracting).
Bass digs deep, you can feel it starting from 10Hz. I can't say it's super fast or textured (at least I don't feel it that way) but definitely feels very natural. It nowhere near bloated or overemphasized but also not recessed (for exaple 58x bass is hardly heard before 50Hz).
Level of detail is just hard to describe - it's just has it. Closest competitor in that regard (from what i have) is probably the UM Mest.

Compared to 4xx it has a little wider and noticeably deeper stage, better instrument positioning (it's just more presice), also better rear imaging (but it highly depends on the position of the cups).

Vocals tend to form a smaller sphere while the rest of the stuff in the recording has its own places and distances.

In terms of genres they're not truly all-rounders.
Metal. For sure it can handle busy passages very well but sometimes feels soft and not enough aggressive. A lot of songs is overly congested and i guess simply not well recorded, so an extra sence of separation may not work as expected.
Lounge / Jazz. Those are the most suitable genres for the XS, IMO. Vocals and instruments are divided into the different layers of sound field. It's the case when things simply cannot be overly natural.
Electronic. I'm listening to the wide variety of its sub-genres, but mostly it covered by a Synthwave / IDM / Experimental. If song has no vocals the headphones just loses its charm. Sure it still has enhanced staging and great detail, but I feel like Momentum 3 is more suitable for the music like this - more bass, more treeble and we good to go (XS actually has more treeble).

Generally it plays well with well recorded material (not a secret). Nothing is being reproduced in a really wrong way. From what I know it's just classic Hifiman.

I'm not into the analysing of percussions / harmonics / layering, that kind of stuff, so that's might be all I can provide for now.
Still tempted to hear what whuld real reviewers say about the subj.

Nov 3, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #39 of 2,784
Hello, advise me what to take, I have a choice between (hi fi man edition xs and hi fi man ananda)
in my case I can take ananda for about 450 dollars, or edition xs for about the same price, or is there something better?

Nov 3, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #40 of 2,784
Hello, advise me what to take, I have a choice between (hi fi man edition xs and hi fi man ananda)
in my case I can take ananda for about 450 dollars, or edition xs for about the same price, or is there something better?
Didn't have a chance to try both.
But accordingly to the Pokrog from hifiguides - "These are significantly better than Anandas".
I'd say you can try your luck and ask him directly, or just wait a bit till we had more usefull info.
For me personally is hard to imagine something better around this price (I've just tried Oppo PM3, Airpods Max, Momentum 3 and all of them are a few levels below the XS, it's like to compare a 100$ iem with the 700$ one).

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #41 of 2,784
HFM HE-6sev2 is $599 at Adorama. If you have the juice (4 wpc min at 50 ohms) it walks all over the Ananda. XS sounds like a family member of the HEX v2/XX/Ananda family so yes to the 6se over the XS too.
Okay, so here's my modest take.

In terms of FR they seems to be more similar with the K701 than with Ananda (at least to my ears, YMMV).

Comfort is acceptable. Not as good as 58x, but better than 4XX / ATH MSR7 / Momentum 3. Hot spot at the top become noticeable after the hour of listening. Cups has decent amount of swivel.

Sound quality is phenomenal. Same feelings when I first tried the 4xx. First thing that is noticeable is enhanced sence of space and staging. Instruments and vocals feels very natural (or I'd say textured), except for the small moment with the 5k peek (with some of the recordings it just a little distracting).
Bass digs deep, you can feel it starting from 10Hz. I can't say it's super fast or textured (at least I don't feel it that way) but definitely feels very natural. It nowhere near bloated or overemphasized but also not recessed (for exaple 58x bass is hardly heard before 50Hz).
Level of detail is just hard to describe - it's just has it. Closest competitor in that regard (from what i have) is probably the UM Mest.

Compared to 4xx it has a little wider and noticeably deeper stage, better instrument positioning (it's just more presice), also better rear imaging (but it highly depends on the position of the cups).

Vocals tend to form a smaller sphere while the rest of the stuff in the recording has its own places and distances.

In terms of genres they're not truly all-rounders.
Metal. For sure it can handle busy passages very well but sometimes feels soft and not enough aggressive. A lot of songs is overly congested and i guess simply not well recorded, so an extra sence of separation may not work as expected.
Lounge / Jazz. Those are the most suitable genres for the XS, IMO. Vocals and instruments are divided into the different layers of sound field. It's the case when things simply cannot be overly natural.
Electronic. I'm listening to the wide variety of its sub-genres, but mostly it covered by a Synthwave / IDM / Experimental. If song has no vocals the headphones just loses its charm. Sure it still has enhanced staging and great detail, but I feel like Momentum 3 is more suitable for the music like this - more bass, more treeble and we good to go (XS actually has more treeble).

Generally it plays well with well recorded material (not a secret). Nothing is being reproduced in a really wrong way. From what I know it's just classic Hifiman.

I'm not into the analysing of percussions / harmonics / layering, that kind of stuff, so that's might be all I can provide for now.
Still tempted to hear what whuld real reviewers say about the subj.
I think this is a good job. Very much sounds like a part of the family (XX/HEX v2/Ananda).

As a side note there must be something wrong with my 4XX - because after XLR cabling, pads, damping for the bass, taking off the screens they do not make it for me - at all.

That little peak out of a broad peak at 5-6k is one reason I'd rather not hear the AKG 701. Must be sharp and/or sibilant.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #42 of 2,784
Didn't have a chance to try both.
But accordingly to the Pokrog from hifiguides - "These are significantly better than Anandas".
I'd say you can try your luck and ask him directly, or just wait a bit till we had more usefull info.
For me personally is hard to imagine something better around this price (I've just tried Oppo PM3, Airpods Max, Momentum 3 and all of them are a few levels below the XS, it's like to compare a 100$ iem with the 700$ one).
So for this price, the edition xs is the best you can get?

Nov 3, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #43 of 2,784
So for this price, the edition xs is the best you can get?
I doubt it's that simple. It's just the best I've tried yet. I'd say you can't go wrong with them if you know that neutral-bright signature is your thing and you don't mind the 5k peak.

Nov 3, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #44 of 2,784
HFM HE-6sev2 is $599 at Adorama. If you have the juice (4 wpc min at 50 ohms) it walks all over the Ananda. XS sounds like a family member of the HEX v2/XX/Ananda family so yes to the 6se over the XS too.

I think this is a good job. Very much sounds like a part of the family (XX/HEX v2/Ananda).

As a side note there must be something wrong with my 4XX - because after XLR cabling, pads, damping for the bass, taking off the screens they do not make it for me - at all.

That little peak out of a broad peak at 5-6k is one reason I'd rather not hear the AKG 701. Must be sharp and/or sibilant.
XS btw is surprisingly efficient - it takes about 1/4 of Centrance Dacport HD at high gain and have about 80db out.

My 4xx is also collecting dust. Apart of its broken headband it has a weird air pressure effect. There's also of noticeable channel imbalance (ccombo).

Nov 3, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #45 of 2,784
Hifiman Edition XS Mini Review. : 11-03-2021

Box : Typical Hifiman, has the dark lush soft packing.

Cable : Decent. Rubber. Short. Mild Jank

Headband : The Original Edition X and V2 have a superior headband. The XS headband is softly padded but singular. Just a bar, typical of the older Hifiman frames. Comfort of the headband is : 7.9

Pads and Clamp. : The clamp force is going to be moderate on medium heads and slightly firm on big heads. The Pads are ok, not quite soft at first feel, but this will change with break in time

How do they sound right out of the box?

Typical of Hifman, they have a somewhat airy treble, a very slight "V" shape, and credible bass and plenty of treble extension.
Not a warm or cold sounding headphone, but other then the Susvara, the HE1000 series is more clinical and analytical.....= And so is the XS.
Hifiman Headphones, from HE1000 - Susvara, have a slight V shape and are slightly Treble oriented in Sound.
Less so with the Susvara.
As compared to the original "Edition" series", right out of the box, and not burned it at all, I would consider the XS to sound more like the original Edition X, yet more controlled, FR balanced, and slightly more tonally smooth.

1.) Comfort: The headphones are comfortable, but not as comfy as the HE1000 series.

2.) Treble : Its slightly airy, and very typical of the HE 1000 series, but not quite as hyper extended as you find with the V2 and the HEKSE. Right out of the Box = There is PLENTY of Treble in the XS FR that manifests as extremely clean sound.

3.) Midrange : Hifiman does not design Audeze midrange into their headphones, and so, you wont find that type of "honk" inside the sound of the XS. Mids presented by the XS are very articulate, pleasant, not dry, and very slightly clinical. Vocals stand out, acoustic instruments sound truthful and cymbals are very nicely presented.
Electronic music plays well in the XS's.

4.) Bass : Bass is similar to the Edition X series in tone and layering, but its a bit more controlled in that offers enough power and extension to work well with music that requires it to provide some meat, but its not a Bass Head slamming low end, its more finessed and articulate and balanced.

5.) Soundstage : You are not totally submerged inside a huge room as you find with the V2, yet, its a nicely immersive SS. The height of the SS is good, the depth is good, and the width is not disappointing, but not so wide that you lose the sense of instruments and vocals in front of you. The SS is perceived as "accurate" vs "enhanced".

6.) Timbre : Clean and Precise.

7.) Detail Retrieval : Here is where the XS shines brightest. Its a detailed headphone sound that manages to walk the fine line between being quite detail revealing yet still very musical. This is what Hifiman does so well.. They don't give you that over-cookes lower mid situation that fights the clarity of the treble. Vocals pop in the XS's with a lot of layering. It very impressive.

8.) Instrument Separation : Its very good like all Hifiman's.

9.) Power requirements : These are not going to sound their best out of a cell phone or weak Dac/Amp. They do bloom with Tubes and they do shine sonically their soundstage best best when used with Balanced cables and a little bit of power feeding them.
If you only uses them in SE mode, then the Vocals and the center of the soundstage is more focused and in front.

Final Analysis : A good value. Fans of the Hifiman sound will find much to enjoy. The XS offers what Hifiman does best....the clarity, the details, the soundstage, the treble, and the unique overall sonic presentation that you can only get with a Hifiman Gear.
The XS is designed for listening enjoyment and offers fine detail retrieval and clarity.

-
-

DSC09850.JPG
DSC09851.JPG
DSC09852.JPG
DSC09853.JPG
DSC09854.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back