HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Mar 2, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #12,766 of 20,386
Well, I think I may have found the end-game amplifier for both my LCD-2 and the HE-500 in the Fosgate Signature. It's the defenition of perfection, and it's going to be hard writing a review without sounding heavily biased.

Even against amplifiers like the Cavalli Audio Liquid Glass and other end-game amplifiers I've heard with the HE-500, it has the most seductive midrange ever, and it does bass like no other. 

With the bass switch turned on, it reminds me of a D7000, but tighter, better PRaT, more extension down low, and superb decay times. Simply unparalled.

Mar 2, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #12,767 of 20,386
  Thanks for the reply.  Will the Asgard 2 be able to power HE-500s and HD 800s well? I think I might get HD 800s sometime in the future.

I have an Asgard 2 and it definitely powers the HE-500's louder than you can take with plenty of headroom. It should be able to take HD800's to over 120 dB SPL, ouch loud. It's a very clean amp with a great FR.

Mar 2, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #12,768 of 20,386
  Save some money and go for O2+ODAC. Also, try to find one of those modified pieces that are actually wireless. No wires = best sound. Amirite guys? I usually see them floating on the used forums from time to time.

You must be joking, that's not saving money, it's throwing it away.  Please note that as I'm typing this, I'm actually using the UK version of the O2/ODAC on a HE-500.  They're good for the price but not excellent with the HE-500 which is relatively low sensitivity and a planar design.  It might work if you listen to music recorded at higher volume and with low dynamic range such as most modern pop.  I listen to classical, which is just the reverse.  On standard it will work reasonably ok.  If you activate gain it'll drive the cans into clipping at anything higher than 9'o clock.  The UK version also has standard lower gain than the JDS one which is 6.5 iirc so that'll exacerbate the problem.

Nothing against the O2 amp and certainly nothing against the DAC but for the HE-500 they're not ideal.  I'm keeping it because it's for use on my office desk (yes, I'm sitting there on a sunday) and a hell of a lot easier to move than my other gear.

Mar 2, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #12,771 of 20,386
Happy with the Lyr for now, though wondering what's a great SS Amp (not balanced) for the HE500 for $1000 or less. Thanks for any insights.

WA6 is pretty well regarded, I heard one with an he5le and it sounded really good, it had the rectifier tube with the little wires coming out, whichever one that is.

Mar 2, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #12,774 of 20,386
  Well, I think I may have found the end-game amplifier for both my LCD-2 and the HE-500 in the Fosgate Signature. It's the defenition of perfection, and it's going to be hard writing a review without sounding heavily biased.

Amen. It is an amazing sounding amp. The very best I have heard/owned as of yet.

It brings out the best in my HE-500/LCD-2 and just is wonderful with the HD800, not many amps are good with all three.  The Fosgate is a masterpiece.

Mar 2, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #12,775 of 20,386
Is the HE-500 a particularly hard phone to amp, or are you just talking about optimal amping. I was considering getting some of these while they are still available and on sale but I can't afford a new amp AND new phones.

Mar 2, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #12,776 of 20,386
  Is the HE-500 a particularly hard phone to amp, or are you just talking about optimal amping. I was considering getting some of these while they are still available and on sale but I can't afford a new amp AND new phones.

It's not particularly hard in the sense that it's not finicky in pairing like the HD-800, but it does require a reasonably powerful amplifier (not only the raw output counts, it's also a question of being able to swing sufficient voltage in a short time) due to its no so high sensitivity despite its 38 Ohm impedance. In my opinion, if you spend more than 300 USD on a headphone it would be silly not to drive them to what they're capable of.  What amp are you using now?

Mar 2, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #12,777 of 20,386
Enough juice to drive the HE-500's dynamically with classical?  Some of the reviews seem to suggest otherwise, like the one on InnerFidelity.

Quote:

Even against amplifiers like the Cavalli Audio Liquid Glass and other end-game amplifiers I've heard with the HE-500, it has the most seductive midrange ever, and it does bass like no other. 

With the bass switch turned on, it reminds me of a D7000, but tighter, better PRaT, more extension down low, and superb decay times. Simply unparalled.

Amen. It is an amazing sounding amp. The very best I have heard/owned as of yet.

It brings out the best in my HE-500/LCD-2 and just is wonderful with the HD800, not many amps are good with all three.  The Fosgate is a masterpiece.

Mar 2, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #12,779 of 20,386
  I bought it to pair with the HD800 (amazing together) and was pleasantly surprised at how well it does with the HE-500. It is a phenomenal amp with some fun features. 

Stop. Right now! 
biggrin.gif

Was to a meet today.. Lots of good stuff, especially Stax. Enjoyed an hour with sr-009 and totl stax amps to match. Danm, I wantzz... Wasn't even disappointed despite the steep price, they'd be worth it all if I could afford.. But for now, I am on the lookout for a Stax lambda normal bias. Not that it really concerns you.

Mar 2, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #12,780 of 20,386
I have a question for y'all. If you look at the following picture, you will see at the bottom left on top of the inside magnet strip a fine white dust/powder. It's been there as long as I remember, but could this be a possible sign of overdriving the driver? Maybe some particles coming off of it? Or is it just something to not be concerned about? jerg, any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back