= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
May 8, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #2,101 of 21,176

Thanx. 
20 years ago i often attended symphony concerts. When you do that i think you train your cognitive system to interprete soundstage better and have a solid reference. I dont have the same ability today so my description compared to depth of 560 soundstage might be totally off. Add i very seldom hear classical music.

I cant take hiss and crackle at the expense of details and clarity. I used to tolerate that better.

In my ears the 560 is totally deprived of that distortion but at the same time presenting many details and resolution. It still puzzle me how they got this hp to be so resolving and at the same time to sound relatively good on basicly all recordings i have thrown at it. My asumption is they have used a lot of time hearing to the hp vs focusing on measuring and engineering. It gives what i perciewe as a sweet, inviting and intimate sound. I have heard a lot hifi where its wasnt so. With this HP you start your Spotify list, and dont think of changing - its good business for Spotify and the Artists :)

This 'distortion' as you call it isn't supposed to be there and shouldn't be there with 'stats assumming you experienced the same I did. It's likely because of dust or moisture in the driver, also happens when not playing music. It bugs me a lot, cuz it's my best sounding headphone and I am very fund of them, but unfortunately I can't repair them, have tried..
Generally, I hear no distortion with the LS except the problems I am experiencing, which hasn't always been there.

I don't remember who of the new 560 owners who owned the 202 and hd800, but some words comparing them would be appreciated 
wink.gif

May 8, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #2,102 of 21,176
These cans certainly look nice - loving the wood, and reviews I've read have all been positive.

So these cans are positioned as the LCD-X's are to Audeze's range - not flagship but tucking in behind their top tier model (going off pricing)?

Audeze release the LCD-X's with metal finishing to ear cups, a different approach from their prior models, and HIFIMAN appear to have done the same, only in reverse, from a materials used point.

I'm a HIFMAN HE-6 owner and absolutely love them, they never fail to impress and would be interested in any comparative reviews between the HE-6 and HE-560 for sure 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 8, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #2,103 of 21,176

So these cans are positioned as the LCD-X's are to Audeze's range - not flagship but tucking in behind their top tier model (going off pricing)?

I'm a HIFMAN HE-6 owner and absolutely love them, they never fail to impress and would be interested in any comparative reviews between the HE-6 and HE-560 for sure 
smily_headphones1.gif

The impressions I am reading are bringing me to the conclusion that the criteria for 'flagship' may be changing.  These descriptions certainly seem to fit the bill of a TOTL headphone.
Direct comparisons to the HE-6 could prove to be interesting.

May 8, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #2,104 of 21,176
I also get the sense that its an "end-game" headphone and belongs in the same class as the HD800, LCD2, etc for ~60% of the price. On the plus side its pretty good when it comes to amping requirements. 

May 8, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #2,105 of 21,176
  The impressions I am reading are bringing me to the conclusion that the criteria for 'flagship' may be changing.  These descriptions certainly seem to fit the bill of a TOTL headphone.
Direct comparisons to the HE-6 could prove to be interesting.

Fang himself actually likes the HE560 more than HE6 in sound quality, he thinks HE560 (and 400i) are a generational change for his brand of planars.

I haven't heard a HE6 in a looong time so I can't make any comments; but I'm sure others who have HE6 can. The consensus from a few such impressions so far seems to be that a well-driven HE6 is still faster and more resolving, but HE560's tone is better (especially in the treble area).

May 8, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #2,107 of 21,176
Probably blown out of proportion, considering not many people even have these...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen one person who owns these complain about the pads. Someone measured, and the shenanigans started. Probably a waste of HFM resources for something that may not even be an issue.

If it continues like this, I expect people to bitch about every little thing, and HFM having to cater to EVERYONE meaning potential revision after revision.

Well, I am complaining (mildly). It's not so much the opening size, which seems to reduce as it compresses, but the thickness of the pads. They are soft enough that my "trouble ear" (right side) pinna rubs the driver grill. I will be responding to the HiFiMAN email regarding replacement pads.

I guess I'll have to "bitch" about the left side head strap coming out of its retainer while adjusting the size, too.

May 8, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #2,108 of 21,176

vs. the HE-6?

Don't worry, the HE-6 still is a notch or two above the 560, IMO.

It is obviously too soon to conclude but from the first listening session, while of the detailed type, the HE-560 does not resolve ambiance and texture (which is part of tone, IMO) as well as the HE-6.
The test-track I usually play for that is JJ Cale - Call me the Breeze. The guitar on the left seems to play on its own stage and acoustics with the HE-6. The HE-560 does not show that.

In terms of tonality, they are the closest I can think of at this point.

May 8, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #2,110 of 21,176
I also get the sense that its an "end-game" headphone and belongs in the same class as the HD800, LCD2, etc for ~60% of the price. On the plus side its pretty good when it comes to amping requirements. 

Being pretty good for amping is certainly a step in the right direction from the HE-6's.

I use the EF-6 which was made for the HE-6's of course, but I bought it in tandem with the HE-6's knowing they were a difficult to drive can.

Whilst the EF-6 and HE-6 combo is a near perfect match, I guess it could polarise potential HE-6 buyers from pulling the trigger if their current owned amp wouldn't suffice, and the HE-560 seem well placed to cover this possible deal breaker scenario by being easier to drive, opening up top tier HIFIMAN cans to a broader spectrum of buyers.

May 8, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #2,111 of 21,176
  Maybe you could play around with rotating the two earpads so that the angling fits your head better. For me the best fit is when the thinnest part of the earpads are angled between my cheekbones and jaws.

Thanks for this tip Jorge Jerg.  They fit so much more comfortable this way XD  Like @smellyfungus, my pads do hit the yolks as well, even in this position, but they fit much with the thin part between the cheekbones and jaws. 

May 8, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #2,112 of 21,176

Well, I am complaining (mildly). It's not so much the opening size, which seems to reduce as it compresses, but the thickness of the pads. They are soft enough that my "trouble ear" (right side) pinna rubs the driver grill. I will be responding to the HiFiMAN email regarding replacement pads.

I guess I'll have to "bitch" about the left side head strap coming out of its retainer while adjusting the size, too.

Try placing the pads (or rotating them) the way Jerg describes...  This might make them fit a little better. 

Maybe you could play around with rotating the two earpads so that the angling fits your head better. For me the best fit is when the thinnest part of the earpads are angled between my cheekbones and jaws.

May 8, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #2,113 of 21,176
Keep in mind there's still most likely an HE-6 successor in the works too.  

Yeah, more than likely, I wonder if they are going with the new wood look?

One thing I can't envisage from a new HIFIMAN flagship model to supersede the HE-6 - it couldn't possibly be any harder to drive surely :confused:

If it does prove harder to drive and something like a nuclear core EF-7 is required - count me out :mad:

May 8, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #2,114 of 21,176
I also can't help thinking it must be possible to get a better sound at the expense of sensitivity.

May 8, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #2,115 of 21,176

Funnily enough it is my right ear that's causing me trouble too. Both my ears are big [6.6 cm x 3.5 cm] but that's not the issue, they compress well enough in most pads [some sweating at worst with pleather], but a pad's depth is where the trouble is with 90% of my headphones. My right ear protrudes significantly more than my left year [1,5 vs 2 cm] and if that part touch something, it causes irritation... So I need the pads to retain at least that 2 cm after decompression [putting them on], which is not easy... Angled pads help with this a lot in most cases. still the pad must either be just deep enough and not decompress much [HFM pleathers w/ foam rings and old HFM velours] or the more comfy variant - soft but deep enough to retain the required space [AKG K7XX angled pads, Philips X1 velour and hopefully the new HFMs as well]... That part of ear touching any surface = broken long term comfort...

A pic to illustrate the part of the right ear that is most protrusive:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back