Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Mar 21, 2015 at 5:50 AM Post #2,507 of 14,740
  Well that's one of the benefits of the HE-1000 that people have been stating when comparing it against the Stax.  It doesn't NEED any special amping so you can most likely use what you already have.

Anyone tried the HE-1000 with a Chord Hugo if it doesn't need special amps?

Mar 21, 2015 at 5:50 AM Post #2,508 of 14,740
Using this resource, I ran some calculations to illustrate how easy to drive the HE-1000 is.

Firstly, take a look at this loudness chart for reference.

Now examine the specs of the HE-1000.

For simplicity's sake, let's just say its impedance is 35 ohms and its sensitivity is 90 dB/mW.

(I'm assuming it's 90 dB/mW. If it's 90 dB @ 1 volt RMS, we've got that covered too.)

Finally, here is the computed data:

Look at that. It takes almost nothing to drive the HE-1000 to levels that would damage your hearing, and even less power for normal listening levels.

In terms of sheer output power, the HE-1000 can be driven to its full potential by pretty much any amp.

(Edit: With the exception of if you're worried about 120 dB dynamic peaks and the like.)

Disclaimer: I may have made mistakes in this analysis. If so, please correct me -- but do so mathematically! ^_^

Mar 21, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #2,509 of 14,740
Wow, cool, thanks for posting that Music Alchemist. So this truly shouldn't require any special amplification it looks like

Mar 21, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #2,510 of 14,740
Quote:Music Alchemist
Disclaimer: I may have made mistakes in this analysis. If so, please correct me -- but do so mathematically! ^_^ 

You forgot to divide by zero and then multiply the result by infinity.
wink_face.gif

Mar 21, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #2,512 of 14,740
  This discussion went on about the HE-560, which has similar specs to the HE-1000, and proved to be not so easy to drive.

I always like to refer to this post when trying to work out power needs.. https://audeze.zendesk.com/entries/20866002-Selecting-an-amp-

120 dB peaks, eh? Well then...

Wouldn't that be just so occasional dynamic peaks are handled better, though? For most normal listening, I doubt this would be necessary. And there is certainly no doubt that sufficient SPL levels (not counting crazy peaks in the music and what have you) can be attained with trivially little power.

Mar 21, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #2,513 of 14,740
  120 dB peaks, eh? Well then...

Wouldn't that be just so occasional dynamic peaks are handled better, though? For most normal listening, I doubt this would be necessary. And there is certainly no doubt that sufficient SPL levels (not counting crazy peaks in the music and what have you) can be attained with trivially little power.

120dB is probably on the high side, but if you are buying a new amp, its better to play it safe and have a bit extra. Also those occasional crazy peaks you mention, you have to be able to handle those too, or it will clip/distort, can't just ignore them. 

Mar 21, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #2,515 of 14,740
Gonna laugh if the Stax fanboys like this better than the 009.  Oh my, will I chortle...

Judging by what I've read up to now you're not gonna .. not this time.

And it's quite a stretch to say that someone who likes the best HP ever is a fanboy. Never heard of anyone who did not like the 009... or thought that some other can did sound better. Even people who enjoy diff colorations (e.g. bassheads) do appreciate it.

Mar 21, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #2,517 of 14,740
Judging by what I've read up to now you're not gonna .. not this time.

And it's quite a stretch to say that someone who likes the best HP ever is a fanboy. Never heard of anyone who did not like the 009... or thought that some other can did sound better. Even people who enjoy diff colorations (e.g. bassheads) do appreciate it.

Headphones I think sound better than the SR-009:
SR-Omega, SR-007mk1, HE-90 Orpheus, Abyss, modified Jades.

So now you've heard of someone.
There are others who feel this way, too. I could introduce you. :)

The SR-009 is no doubt an impressive headphone. In some ways it's nearly unrivaled (like transparency).
However it's not "the best." There is no single best headphone.

Mar 21, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #2,518 of 14,740
Headphones I think sound better than the SR-009:
SR-Omega, SR-007mk1, HE-90 Orpheus, Abyss, modified Jades.

So now you've heard of someone.
There are others who feel this way, too. I could introduce you. :)

The SR-009 is no doubt an impressive headphone. In some ways it's nearly unrivaled (like transparency).
However it's not "the best." There is no single best headphone.

Ok I might have overstepped a bit. The air is very rarefied at that level and a lot comes down to preference. I'm a fan of clean, transparent, lifelike sound so it's 009 for me. It's the closest I heard to a live acoustic music performance. Everything else you listed (never heard a Jade) has more coloration...and as much as I like some of those, it's still artificial sound. And that's why I called 009 'the best' .. which is not the same as 'the most enjoyable for everyone'. That of course does not exist ... and never will.

Mar 21, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #2,519 of 14,740
I must admit to being taken back a bit by the price tag for Hifiman's latest model. Mostly because they have a reputation for producing great headphones that almost outperform their price points. Fang must be very confident that the HE1000 can compete with the best. But in addition to R and D, for Hifiman to price them this way, perhaps the value is in they sound good virtually independent of upstream gear. Because if TOTL source and amplification is necessary to bring out the potential of the HE1000's, then this latest model seems a departure from the business practices they helped to build their fan base upon.

Mar 21, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #2,520 of 14,740
. . .  if TOTL source and amplification is necessary to bring out the potential of the HE1000's, then this latest model seems a departure from the business practices they helped to build their fan base upon.

Ummm.  Have you ever heard of the Hifiman HE-6?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back