Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Dec 9, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #8,626 of 14,743

​As the second owner of my HE-1000, I did not get the chance to upgrade to V2. Now it seems that I cannot even get the V2 pads! I am really upset about this unbelievable cut-throat business policy. I will never buy anything from Hifiman again, in this case!

Make sure you let them know in their sponsor forum!

Dec 9, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #8,627 of 14,743
  Why not open a business selling V2 pad clones at insanely cheap prices? You could stand to make a lot of HE1000 V1 owners very happy!

Last night I was already dreaming of exactly this scenario. I'm a bit skeptical if it will become reality, the market/demand is possibly not large enough for a profitable business. Also, the question would be if it will happen in the foreseeable future. But I certainly wish someone would do it!

Dec 9, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #8,629 of 14,743

Make sure you let them know in their sponsor forum!

​Thanks, I will do that. But I still cannot believe and will wait for the answer from the Hifiman distributor.

From Hifiman's side this probably makes perfect sense, especially if the pads make a marked improvement to the V1. If it brings it close to the V2 sound signature, why would you sell it for something like $100 (just for instance) when you might be able to get the audio fanatic to  spend $650... or maybe $3000 to upgrade. It certainly is not making me very happy, but from their perspective it makes perfect sense. I can see a situation where they would sell the V2 pads after the sales for the new model flatten out. Maybe at a point where the V2 has been out long enough that those owners need to buy them rather than getting warranty replacements.

My expectation is that we will not see the new pads for sale for quite some time. How long I can't guess. But until it makes financial sense from their perspective is an answer that is pretty much guaranteed...IMO.

If someone forced me to give my best guess, I would say next year around this time. I suppose that we will see.  I did this analysis so that I could set my own expectation level. I don't get much out of agonizing over things that I can't control...
much less unrealized expectations.

Dec 9, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #8,630 of 14,743

From Hifiman's side this probably makes perfect sense, especially if the pads make a marked improvement to the V1. If it brings it close to the V2 sound signature, why would you sell it for something like $100 (just for instance) when you might be able to get the audio fanatic to  spend $650... or maybe $3000 to upgrade. It certainly is not making me very happy, but from their perspective it makes perfect sense. I can see a situation where they would sell the V2 pads after the sales for the new model flatten out. Maybe at a point where the V2 has been out long enough that those owners need to buy them rather than getting warranty replacements.

My expectation is that we will not see the new pads for sale for quite some time. How long I can't guess. But until it makes financial sense from their perspective is an answer that is pretty much guaranteed...IMO.

If someone forced me to give my best guess, I would say next year around this time. I suppose that we will see.  I did this analysis so that I could set my own expectation level. I don't get much out of agonizing over things that I can't control...

From strategic perspective it only makes sense if the opposing side (customers) don't detect the behaviour. I suspect the transparency of their strategy and the displeasement it has caused will prove to be a lot worse for them than if they had just sold the pads. I would not have taken the same course as they did from a business standpoint.

Dec 9, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #8,631 of 14,743
They do give you 3 new cables with the upgrade (+ the pads). Most aftermarket cable guys would easily charge that much for custom cables.
(And the subject of cable-makers prices is a totally different subject, but the point is that it's a price easily expected.)

So I consider the $650 well spent since the V2 sounds much better to me
(more vibrant, defined, and cohesive, as mentioned earlier; an engaging sound and a top-of-the-heap flagship performance overall IMO with exquisite comfort).
It's a lot easier and cheaper than selling the V1 and re-buying the V2.

Ironically, I'm not using the new cables, LOL. (Using my nice old Silver Dragon instead).

Dec 10, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #8,632 of 14,743

Let's make the sales flatten now!!!

Dec 10, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #8,633 of 14,743

How about making them take a big giant dip if that's what it takes for them to start selling the replacement V2 earpads 

Dec 10, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #8,636 of 14,743

I do agree. Don't think from what I said that I support the decision. I am not at all happy with it.
The only other question I would have that may explain what they are doing is, do they simply not yet have enough of the pads to cover the new production and to sell them individually ??

In any case, I think that alienating the people that are willing to buy your $3K flagship headphones is not a real good move.

Dec 10, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #8,637 of 14,743
  OK, that peaked my interest, so why is that? (By the way, I'm a fan of your neighbor over in Calgary, Ed Meitner, and I've used various EMM boxes for 12 years now for their unique insightful sound.) :)

I've listened to Stax 007's and 009's. What I found amazing about them was how "fast" they were. Transient response is incredible. The clarity of these phones is outstanding. With the Utopias, I get it too. I also get great bass with the Utopias, which is something that I found lacking with the Stax.

My parents/brother live in Calgary, so I'm there quite often. It's only a couple of hours drive down the highway from Edmonton. Funny though, even though I've heard great things about Meitner boxes, I haven't heard any. To be honest, they are a little out of my league, $$-wise.

Dec 10, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #8,638 of 14,743

I've listened to Stax 007's and 009's. What I found amazing about them was how "fast" they were. Transient response is incredible. The clarity of these phones is outstanding. With the Utopias, I get it too. I also get great bass with the Utopias, which is something that I found lacking with the Stax.

My parents/brother live in Calgary, so I'm there quite often. It's only a couple of hours drive down the highway from Edmonton. Funny though, even though I've heard great things about Meitner boxes, I haven't heard any. To be honest, they are a little out of my league, $$-wise.

What was driving the 009s and 007s? It needs a non Stax amp to sing TBH. The Carbon or BHSE drives the HPs so well, I don't hear them lacking in bass at all TBH.

Dec 10, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #8,639 of 14,743

What was driving the 009s and 007s? It needs a non Stax amp to sing TBH. The Carbon or BHSE drives the HPs so well, I don't hear them lacking in bass at all TBH.

If I recall correctly, it was a Stax amp.

Dec 10, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #8,640 of 14,743
Also the Swiss distributor has confirmed that HifFiMan refuses to sell V2 pads separately (save for warranty exchange). That's not a nice policy and certainly bad self-promotion. Early HE1000 buyers were really passed the buck, and no mercy upon further notice.

If you ask for the pads in the Head-Direct sponsor forum you get no response.

That said, with modification and equalized my V1 still sounds fabulous. Maybe it doesn't even get better...

They need to sell or replace all V1 pads for V2 for any owners as V1 pads must be discontinued by now...
And I'm guessing the new pads will get you 1/3 way there to V2 sound,
But if you recall the prototype V1 sounded different as well, so sonic changes can be made without any apparent observable change.
My guess from now owning V2, is that it is much more than pad change.

These cables look good to me.

We are about to release a couple of new top tier silver occ litz cables for full size headphone.

One is the new Silvergarde S2 and the other is the Silver Draug, both are a large 20awg occ litz
in differing design types. Please see below for specs. on the new Silvergarde S2 for right now. A completely unique design
to us and sort of the perfect headphone cable that just does everything one would want in a replacement cable. It has a pure textile based design, something no other
top silver cables have, allowing for some of the best comfort possible as well. Our goal is first to create the cable with the ultimate sound, but to also tweak other factors that
make it the best cable period in every single detail possible.

Silvergarde S2
1) 4 x 20 awg highest purity silver occ litz (large gauge)
2) Pure cotton multicore design ( each silver litz strand bundle has a pure cotton core, 11 total cotton cores) - industry first cotton multicore for silver
3) Center core is a stable carbon infused polymer, allows a strong yet flexible center core and further allows for the beneficial tubular shape (strand bundles precisely wrapped around the core)
4) First layer wrapped around strand bundles is a pure cotton fiber based material - industry first
5) Second layer is a thin teflon wrap layer (does not add practically any rigidity, only durability and stability)
6) Final layers are textile based, so there is no polymer dielectric and allows for side bonus of fantastic flexibility / comfort (also having a lack of mechanical noise) - industry first for silver
7) Has exclusive sleeve options of: [Silver/Grey herring bone] [Black/Dark Brown herring bone] [Dark Grey with real metallic silver thread tracers] [Brown with metallic copper single tracer]
8) Available with any selection of top of the line Eidolic connectors. Recommend for 4-pin XLR The Eidolic with rhodium plated Tellurium Copper pins
9) braid choice: traditional 4-wire braid (4 conductors sleeved separately) or quad all in one design (single sleeve)
10) Any of our splitter choices are available for this cable (Exotic wood to metal triangle splitters)

I heard the Silvergarde...
Not sure if it was Silvergarde S2.
This is a seriously good cable..
It is not BS and no joke when I say it was immediately a very sonically noticeable cable.

I compared it on an Ether Flow with stock upgraded cable,
and the difference was immediate and extremely noticeable of a more opened top end...

Not brighter, but more open sound.

Extremely impressive increase in ambience that I had no idea.

Although stated it is different than silverDraug, it did remind me very much of my Draug2, in terms of the type of upper end openness of soundstage ambiance.

Those are truly end game cables.

​As the second owner of my HE-1000, I did not get the chance to upgrade to V2. Now it seems that I cannot even get the V2 pads! I am really upset about this unbelievable cut-throat business policy. I will never buy anything from Hifiman again, in this case!

If you really want to upgrade I don't see why they can't extend you the courtesy of upgrade because they making a sale.
Try emailing customer service..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back