Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Mar 26, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #2,192 of 3,507
For those of you who use these on a daily basis, are these ok to be put in your pocket and brought around for rough use?

I just got them but I don't know how delicate tehy are or how to take care of them.

it wil broke down very fast. I never put it in poket but they still broke after 1 month used and my local shop said there are no warranty for jack and cable real bad ....

Mar 27, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #2,194 of 3,507
For those of you who use these on a daily basis, are these ok to be put in your pocket and brought around for rough use?

I just got them but I don't know how delicate tehy are or how to take care of them.

You're definitely going to want a travel case of some sort (the clameshell case they come with works prefect) for when they're not in use.  You may be able to find a lower profile case online from Meelectronics or Amazon.  They'll put up with some abuse when wearing them, but I wouldn't want my pair rubbing around in my pockets for risk of scratching the aluminum or putting too much pressure on the strain reliefs.

Mar 27, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #2,195 of 3,507

In short no, u shouldnt even wrap the around ur device after use. U have to religiously unplug it and , slowly coil it (for me around 3 fingers and store into the included clamshell case)

The overall build is quite dissapointing. I baby mines likeno tomorrow, and so just that. If the sound wasnt this good, i wouldnt recommend it.

Ill need to find someone else other than vesperaudio to recable it down the road (in case they refuse to recable it like brian at btgaudio--> cited high failure rate, so he doesnt bother anymore)

Mar 27, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #2,196 of 3,507

No, they are not very rugged. I've always used the accompanying small carrying case throughout the few years I've owned the UE400's, but the jacket surrounding the wire in the cable still stripped from the jack. The monitors still function, but they're very delicate. Be gentle with them.

Mar 27, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #2,197 of 3,507

No, they are not very rugged. I've always used the accompanying small carrying case throughout the few years I've owned the UE400's, but the jacket surrounding the wire in the cable still stripped from the jack. The monitors still function, but they're very delicate. Be gentle with them.

I dun know when will they leave me....
I love their sound but this build ruin everything. 

Mar 27, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #2,198 of 3,507
  I dun know when will they leave me....
I love their sound but this build ruin everything. 

Wupps, I've just realised I'm in the wrong thread. I thought I was in the Ultimate Ears thread and mixed the UE700's with the RE-400's. Here is the comment anyway. Just bear in mind that I've not tried the 400's yet, though they are the next IEMs I will probably buy, for which I'll outline the reasons below.

What I loved the most about the UE700's was their size. I listen to a lot of music in bed and wanted something that was as flush with the head as possible. Other IEMs protrude quite inelegantly from my ears, but the UE700's, they are tiny and allow me to more comfortably, though still not perfectly, lie on my side and rest easy while listening to ASMR sound bites or my favourite music.

I think the only other IEMs I know of that has such a miniature form factor, at around the same price and with the same high quality, neutral sound, are the RE-400's.

Sorry for the confusion. I guess both the HiFiMan's and the Ultimate Ears face the same quality issues. Ha! ^_^

May 9, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #2,203 of 3,507
I just got a pair of RE-400s after 6 years with my trusty Sennheiser cx-500s. I've owned a low end pair of Shures (broke) and even some Monoprice 8320 (just don't fit me) but I always came back to the cx-500s.

After getting my RE--400s I must say I am disappointed. All the reviews were great but maybe I am doing something wrong?

So far they have had 10 hours of pink noise burn-in. I spent a long time trying all the tips but ended up using the silicone tips from the sennheisers. I don't find the RE-400s nearly as comfortable and they move around a lot in my ear and I am constantly adjusting them.

Some tracks sound great and others terrible. I listen mostly to electronica, drum'n'bass and techno and sometimes the bass is good and other times it seems to be totally lacking. They don't seem to have much sound-stage and I find them harder to drive than the cx-500s.

Does anyone have any advice? Do they need more burn-in time? Should I try different tips again?

May 9, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #2,204 of 3,507
I just got a pair of RE-400s after 6 years with my trusty Sennheiser cx-500s. I've owned a low end pair of Shures (broke) and even some Monoprice 8320 (just don't fit me) but I always came back to the cx-500s.

After getting my RE--400s I must say I am disappointed. All the reviews were great but maybe I am doing something wrong?

So far they have had 10 hours of pink noise burn-in. I spent a long time trying all the tips but ended up using the silicone tips from the sennheisers. I don't find the RE-400s nearly as comfortable and they move around a lot in my ear and I am constantly adjusting them.

Some tracks sound great and others terrible. I listen mostly to electronica, drum'n'bass and techno and sometimes the bass is good and other times it seems to be totally lacking. They don't seem to have much sound-stage and I find them harder to drive than the cx-500s.

Does anyone have any advice? Do they need more burn-in time? Should I try different tips again?

The RE-400 would not be my first suggestion for electronic music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back