Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Jul 3, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #2,251 of 3,507

Rant: Not quite, Angrygoldfish, as one artist once wrote (on a poster he gave me), "We should be angrier than we are". It is absolutely not OK for any equipment to suffer from what is either some poor construction or planned obsolescence. And especially not for a 100€ IEMs pair (if it were merely a 10-15€ IEMs pair I would not complain much, but 100€ is not just peanuts, even though some 'audiophiles' who pay 10x more for IEMs might snob such considerations.) These things should be aiming to last several years!

Customer experience: My RE-400 got the same issue as several other people, after about 7 months and a half of light/moderate (once or twice a week only on average) and careful use,  i.e. the left ear went nearly silent all of a sudden while listening to them, a couple weeks ago. Good thing though, is the guarantee: The customer service from HifiMan has been perfect, very courteous and very fast feedback, same thing from the local representative in Germany Sieveking Sound (I shipped the defective unit back to the German company), very fast and very courteous, whose replacement RE-400s I just received (the less positive aspect however being that they sent me a pair with a dirty cable at one place - some kind of big dirt was on it (looked sort of like earwax, some dark yellow thing), it got wiped off easily but was weird ; and a few very small indentations on the plastic section of the cables ; and the backs of the aluminium cases look partly scratched which imo is not exactly what Sieveking Sound claimed to be a 'neuwertig' (i.e. "like new") unit, i.e. the replacement unit looks somehow older than the defective one I returned). Am just burning them in a bit now (even though I suspect they already have gotten some usage), so I will be checking in a day or two that they sound as they should - but at least I can already hear that both sides work, on this replacement unit.

Prospective: However, I now hope, and expect, that the replacement unit will be of a better quality/durability, and will last more than just one year. Or else I will have to forget Hifiman (and IEMs) and switch to something like Sennheiser full cans instead... So am crossing my fingers for the better, hoping I can enjoy these IEMs for a longer while and thus keep a high opinion of their manufacturer.

By the way: Regarding the sound quality: Am not a big expert. All I can say is I like them even with my iBasso DX50 (even though some more knowledgeable Headfiers say these 2 don't fit). And they definitely sound better than the Bose QC15 cans I more recently acquired. But the QC15 are unbeatable for peace of mind while in a plane, train or other machine-noise environment (e.g. even while driving), in which cases the IEMs are not offering enough sound isolation at all for me (whatever tips I use), so in such special cases the QC15 is still the better option.
However,neither of these nice and practical headphones (and the DAP) can compete with coming home and listening to the good old Nautilus 804 speakers in my living room, even though I use them 'only' with an AVR (Marantz SR7007) instead of a proper stereo-amp (but I did not expect it to be otherwise, i.e. HeadFi is just not as nice as real HiFi).

So, in summary:
- @ fellow users: be extra careful with your RE-400s, they are indeed ultra-fragile (at least for the units sold back in 2013) ; but do use the warranty, Hifiman is giving great customer support.
- @ HifiMan reps: Thanks for the great customer support, thumbs up, but do hear the warnings about potentially disappointing customers over build quality/durability 
confused.gif
 - I hope it was just the first production batch that was of lower quality (as I read a few weeks earlier) and that the RE-400s you currently ship out to people (like hopefully the more-or-less-newish replacement unit I just received) are sturdier and made to last.

The Extra Question: Would the RE-400 benefit from a small-priced destkop tube amp (like the Bravo Audio Ocean) connected to my iBasso-DX50? Am curious about maybe getting such a nice-looking and tube-equipped little device either for the bedroom or the office...

If the product breaks within a year, HiFiMan lose out. HiFiMan do not benefit from being forced to fix a broken pair of earphones and sending out a replacement. After the year is up, yes, a non-functioning pair of IEMs would be a pain in the ass, but I still stand by my point that €100 for an excellent sounding pair of earphones every year is not a big deal. I've paid €300 for earphones that broke within two years as well, which equates to €150 per year, and there are people who have paid €1000 for a pair of monitors that broke within five years, which equates to €200 per year. These things happen. Is it right? No. Do I want it to change? Yes. Do I care enough to not buy the product? No. Why? Because they sound good and are in no way guaranteed to fail as soon as my warranty is up.

In general IEMs do not last very long. They are by their nature fragile and delicate. They are commonly thrown around and are often forced into tight pockets and pouches. Is this abuse? Absolutely not. It is simply regular usage. And even if you're like me and try to baby them as much as possible, they are still not guaranteed to work after a year of heavy use. Again, this is not good, but it's not a deal breaker either considering the little amount of money they cost. No other IEM I've tried comes as well equipped or sounds as good as the RE-400's at €100. Sacrifices were probably made in order to make this price point. They are not marketed as everlasting earphones so why should you expect that?

As a side note, "We should be angrier than we are" is an arrogant statement. Who are you to tell me what I should be angry about? Anger is a perspective, a conceptual emotion that is relevant to you and your circumstances. To compare, one person's €100 'value' IEMs is another's waste of money. If I bought these headphones for my friend, he would have scoffed at me and told me to send them back with the words "We should be more sensible with our money than we are". And I would have replied, "who are you to tell me what is valuable and what isn't?" Who is this artist to tell me what I need to be angry about? Why is anger so valuable to me? I do happen to agree with that statement, but not on a bloody Internet forum talking about earphones ***. Ironically, that statement has angered me. I'm not attacking you—at least I am not trying to—but please respect that I do not  agree with you. If my RE400's break within the next few months, I'd be pissed off. Sending products back for a repair is a ball ache and I hate doing it, but as you said, HiFiMan customer service is excellent and I'd have to accept that this is the nature of the beast. Should it be the nature of this kind of product? No, but it is and I am willing to concede because I live in hope that I will be happy with these earphones for many years to come.

Jul 3, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #2,252 of 3,507
   Ironically, that statement has angered me.

Yes, a bit of arrogance + a pinch of irony make good conversation-starters.
(Of course, the quote I mentioned is meant slightly ironically in the first place. Otherwise it wouldn't be an artist quote, but instead one of these Einstein quotes that plague countless well-intended texts.)

Back to the RE-400 - before my replacement units collapse too... I just ordered a Bravo Audio V2, to pair with both my re-400 and maybe also my qc15 (someone wrote that the v2 helped improve the not-so-nice qc15 sound - though well, a desktop amp for a qc15 is not the most practical thing) and eventually for future other (more sturdy) cans, with iBasso DX50 as source. I hope it won't sound too bad - the price is very nice... Does anyone use that combo already and care to share impressions?

BTW: It's refreshing and relaxing to follow a thread with less than the nearly thousand pages of the iBasso DX50 thread... This thread almost feels cute and tiny like my re-400.

Jul 5, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #2,253 of 3,507
Hello all RE-400 owners,

I've got a question about those little replacement filters. How should I replace it? I got like 10 or so but have no idea how to use them. Considering mine have a bit of earwax on them because I don't regularly clean them, I figured it might be time to replace it.

How often do you guys replace yours? 

Jul 7, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #2,254 of 3,507
  Hello all RE-400 owners,

I've got a question about those little replacement filters. How should I replace it? I got like 10 or so but have no idea how to use them. Considering mine have a bit of earwax on them because I don't regularly clean them, I figured it might be time to replace it.

How often do you guys replace yours? 

How often - depends on how much earwax is produced by one's ears. I havent replaced filters for 3.5 month, and everything is fine for now. 
Once I accidentally broke a filter while changing eartips - so i just took it off with my nails, then scrubbed off the sticky parts from the inner surface (they didnt just come off with the filter, sennheiser cleaning tool was useful here for me - but something like a needle will work) . After that you should just put the new filter on, sticky side down. Oh, and dont loose the piece of foam that is under the filter - it has some purpose probably.

Jul 12, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #2,255 of 3,507
My review of the RE-600S here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/hifiman-re-600/reviews/11286

Jul 14, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #2,259 of 3,507

Re400's. How do they compare to your amperiors?

oh my both are marvelous! the amperiors are more fun sounding the treble is a brighter compare the re400 which i find is more even and laid back. to be honest i think its a bit more articulate in the treble too just a shade

the amperiors if find have a bit of dips here and there in the treble but its so tastefully done

in terms of bass i find the amperiors to have a tighter slam than the more fuller sounding re400s (their not full bodied in the bass but just more so than the amperiors)

i think the re400s actually reach lower in the bass and is more natural, less aggressive. not as fast sounding(so if your listening to dubstep, you wont get the bass response many crave, along with the nimble bass needed for the basslines) but i think its really a more of an all rounder (for all genres)

in terms of the mids the re400s have dryness in the mids that seems to get lost in the forward mids of the amperiors. and i actually find that because the mids are more natural sounding that nothing sticks out, the vocals are in perfect balence with the atmosphere and the instruments that is portrayed. its more midcentric than the amperiors for sure.

i think the re400s would be a fantastic compliment to your hd25s. its really a different take of the same music. (some say boring, i say clean, and effortless)

Aug 3, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #2,260 of 3,507
I've recently purchased the RE-600 and I must say that i'm extremely impressed with them so far. I've been a long time user of the Etymotic ER-4P/S for many years and more recently the Westone W40.

To my ears, the RE-600 are able to match the treble and resolution of the ER4 but with a much wider soundstage and fuller/impactful bass, yet are much less prone to sibilance. Isolation still leaves a lot to be desired, but comparing against the ER4 probably isn’t a fair game lol.

The W40 has more impactful bass and great layering, but sounds confined. Treble is a tiny bit less forward vs the ER4 and RE-600. As though there was a fine veil over it. But honestly, it might just be me since I much prefer an analytical sound. Perhaps if I had never listened to the ER4 I might fall in love with the W40 lol

Later on, I got the HM-901 DAP and listened to the RE-600 in balanced output. I was blown away! The soundstage was opened up even more! In certain tracks, I felt as though I was an audience at the stage. It was very rare to experience such a soundstage on an IEM. Vocals weren’t so ‘in your face’ and sounded more smooth and laid-back. I don’t see how one would dislike this pair of IEMs. To fully realize the potential of the RE-600 I highly recommend running it in balanced mode! 

Aug 3, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #2,261 of 3,507
RE-600S + Calyx M = fantastic match! I am very happy with them. 
etysmile.gif

Aug 11, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #2,262 of 3,507
I just received my second RE-400 unit in the last couple of weeks. The reason for two: amazon screwed up and shipped me a previously opened unit with missing tips and scuffs on the housings. Kraft Audio made it right, offering a $20 refund if I reordered my pair through them. 

Something interesting that I'm sure has already been covered, my iem's are different. 

The original package had a hard strain relief on the 3.5mm jack. The new unit has a very flexible soft strain relief. Here's to hoping the upgrade goes further to increase durability on these. I love the sound, but I'm sick of paying $$ on iems that don't last. Fingers crossed, HIFIMAN. 

Aug 12, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #2,263 of 3,507
  I just received my second RE-400 unit in the last couple of weeks. The reason for two: amazon screwed up and shipped me a previously opened unit with missing tips and scuffs on the housings. Kraft Audio made it right, offering a $20 refund if I reordered my pair through them. 

Something interesting that I'm sure has already been covered, my iem's are different. 

The original package had a hard strain relief on the 3.5mm jack. The new unit has a very flexible soft strain relief. Here's to hoping the upgrade goes further to increase durability on these. I love the sound, but I'm sick of paying $$ on iems that don't last. Fingers crossed, HIFIMAN. 

any pictures??? 

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #2,265 of 3,507
Unfortunately I already packaged up the stiff strain relief version. I could snap a pic of my new pair with the very flexible relief.

What version do you guys have?

yup if you can that would be great!

i have the older stiff one i believe! 

what about the strain relief to the actual earphones? did you find the new ones being more flexible?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back