Hifiman Megamini 1st Impression
Jan 3, 2018 at 6:50 AM Post #46 of 60
The Megamini is underrated in my opinion. As an alternative to a Mojo/Phone combo this makes sense at the size. HiFiman are now selling it at 99 dollars new. I can run the dap in the dark, the buttons are laid out well and are easy to work out. I had some problems with my SD cards to start with, but I now have a 256gb that plays everything faultlessly. The shuffle function is great. Most importantly, the sound quality of this dap is superb. It plays everything up to my HD800's - the senns sound strained at 31 from the maximum volume of 32. I can run with this in my key pocket of my running trousers. It'll fit anywhere and doesn't suddenly pause etc or fall over like many with side touch buttons. The problem that HiFiMan have in the popularity stakes with this is how cheap it looks. It is finished with sharp edges , in a bland colour , with a very basic looking GUI which rarely shows up the album art. They should be producing a high quality leather case for it. It deserves to be looked after. I've been using it for weeks now. I wish I could've been there at the start of it all. But I'm enjoying music with a new lease of life. No frills just lots of music played through great iems and full sized cans. That'll do for me

Jan 3, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #47 of 60
I wish Hifiman will implement some kind of gain control for Megamini in the future firmware. With some of my IEMs, it's hard to adjust the volume to my liking. It's one of the most portable DAP with Small form factor , light weight, physical buttons and importantly with fantastic sq. I find it slightly difficult to operate it blindly(track skipping), when in my jacket's pocket as the track skipping buttons are placed in the middle between 'Menu' and 'Back' buttons, and lack of any space between these four buttons. So I have sticked one of those tiny adhesive rubber feet on one of the track skipping buttons to locate it easily. Another thing that bothers me is that the screen has to be turned on to adjust volume and skip tracks, and there is a noticeable delay

Jan 3, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #48 of 60
I'd never even dream of track skipping when I'm out and about , well certainly not blindly. Admire your ingenuity in solving that problem. I can get the volume changed while I'm running. And I'm glad there's another in agreement about the sq. Surely that's the most important thing of all?

Feb 7, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #50 of 60
My review is here, as promised!

I have taken a love for Megamini actually, I keep my position, this is one of the best minimalistic DAPs there are. I quite like its sound, and really at its 100$ price point, it is a champ! I can't really find many downsides to it, I mean, I am not sensitive to lag or anything like that, and besides that, and the fact that it might hiss with some IEMs, this is a golden DAP. I can't hear hiss with my listening levels anyways, so this is quite amazing for me :darthsmile:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/hifiman-megamini.21855/reviews#review-19844

https://audiophile-heaven.blogspot.ro/2018/02/hifiman-megamini-super-mini-power.html

HIFIMAN-Megamini-Review-Photo-14.jpg

Apr 24, 2018 at 6:13 AM Post #51 of 60
If you just need something simple to listen with that will fit in a shirt pocket easily, this player is pretty nice.

May 3, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #53 of 60
this tiny dap and re600s took me by surprise, it made me wonder then how good would hm901s sound if the megamini sounds so good

May 4, 2018 at 5:32 AM Post #54 of 60
I'm a previous owner of AK Jr (Sold after using for a year. Battery life too short. Too 'warm' sounding, not as resolving as I would have preferred) and Fiio X3ii (Sold after using for 6 months. Jack of all trade but too digital uninvolving sounding for me).
Now considering getting this for the very attractive USD$99 (I won't be considering Supermini though, if not, for similar pricing, will consider Aune M1s instead)
Will Megamini be more resolving sounding if compare to AK Jr?
Is Megamini's real usage battery life at above 8hrs~10hrs (if playback using flac as reference) or shorter?
Hoping to hear opinion from users.
Thanks.

May 4, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #55 of 60
They advertise 15 hours - but real; playback (continuous) is a little over 9 hours.

May 4, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #56 of 60
They advertise 15 hours - but real; playback (continuous) is a little over 9 hours.

If in real usage battery life of slightly over 9 hrs, this would have allowed me to listen to about 8 albums (4 per day?). I think I'll be fine with it.

May 5, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #57 of 60
ok now that is it, how is this tiny dap driving my hifiman he xv2 with such authority, this dam tiny thing sounds freaking dam amazing. it even gives punch to my he xv2 which is very surprising

guys I am totally surprised by this dap how on earth is this possible

are all hifiman daps like this punchy and big sounding

this took me so much by surprise, and I really would like to dig more into hifiman daps as this is simply unbelievable this tiny dap is doing all this

the cascade sounds fantastic on it as well

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #58 of 60
After 2 months of waiting for my Megamini, its finally here! For $99 I couldn´t resist.
Glad I bought it, first impressions - I like my HD580 powered by Megamini more than my desktop dac (Hifimediy 9018)! Much better treble, more open space, less muddy bass.
I need to doublecheck with other headphones when I have time, maybe it is just some "synergy" thing...

Any suggestions how to protect the Megamini from scratches? case, screen protector??

Jul 2, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #59 of 60

Users who are viewing this thread

Back