HIFIMAN Shangri-La: The New Electrostatic Headphones From HIFIMAN
Feb 20, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #301 of 1,057

Yeah, I did a little more digging.  The combo will be between $40000 - $60000.  

I think apart from the special launch price of $9,999 for the headphones mentioned a few posts ago, there hasn't been any official announcement yet on the full system price.  Just's fang's original twitter (or whatever) comment in chinese.  

At the moment I'm thinking if the headphone is 10k that the system will likely not be $40k-$60k because that would put the amp at $30k-$50k and I'm pretty sure nobody would buy one if that was the case if they can just run it off their blue hawaii...

Feb 21, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #302 of 1,057
Headphones are listed at $9999.00. Can't remember which site it was, but I believe they were taking preorders

mmm......that would be  New York's Stereo Exchange. The U.S. launch date (March 17) and price (special launch day price of USD 9,999.00 for the headphones alone) for the Shangri-la are in their website.  Shipping is Spring 2016.

Feb 22, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #303 of 1,057

my guess is they price them the same as the HE1000, but also release a HFM amp for them that gets you for another $1500 or so.

I think you're way low, on all accounts. I expect the headphone will be over $5000, and at least another $6000 for the amp.

Here's why: They will want a price higher than the Abyss for the headphone. It's going to be the benchmark headphone for anything under the Sennheiser.

The amp has 4 300B tubes. Average price on the tube alone is between $1000 - $2000-- These are custom built 300Bs, and there are 4 of them.

I think $15000 for the headphone and amp combo. My guess.

Welcome to the new age.

ha, lol, yeah.  I mean I posted that the first day that word dropped that this was in development, and it was still basically just a rumor, the only thing we knew was that they were electrostats at that point.  At that point nobody even knew for sure that there was an amp, and for sure nobody had any idea that the tubes were potentially 300B tubes (though that now seems to not be certain any more).  

Feb 23, 2016 at 5:20 AM Post #304 of 1,057
The designer of HFM is making a ApogeeCaliper-like speaker (ortho speaker), if these speakers release, I guess they will be 50000.

color]

color]

color]

color]

color]

color]
color]
color]
color]
color]

color]

color]

color]

color]
color]

color]

color]

color]

Feb 24, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #305 of 1,057
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

someone tell that engineer about toe in and room treatment.

Mar 18, 2016 at 6:10 AM Post #306 of 1,057
Jumped on my boosted board after work and ended up in Shangri-La via Stereo Exchange for real...

The Fangster has got more tricks up his sleeve... This is definitely a prototype... Fang showed me the
Finished version on his personal cell and all I can say is Hot Damn... Sennheiser better step it up...
Then Fang broke out a nice little A&K killer DAP!!!! Damn thing was smaller than my friends iPhone 5.
Had 2 jacks Balanced & unbalanced - ohh yeah and DSD capable as well... That too was a prototype...

Sorry for no pics of the phones... They were on my head!

Peace...:)

Mar 18, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #311 of 1,057
  Any comments on the sound?

I really can't 'cause it was "Meet" conditions... everything was a prototype as well...
I didn't ask Fang about the source so I don't know if the files were HiRes or not but
in the pics you can see the tablet that was feeding the Amp... I found some Led Zep
files and listened to Robert Plant's Plagarized Vocals for a while...
wink_face.gif

That would be Stereo Exchange in which city, NYC ?

Yes Sir...

We can clearly see a Stax SR-5 cloth cable plugged on the amp...what is this thing ? 
confused.gif

Ali

It's the counter part Amp to the Shangri-La headphones...

The same one that was @ CES but the finished product looks 
COMPLETELY DIFFERENT... Sennheiser's Orpheus 2 Amp
looks like it lacks imagination compared to the Finished Shangri-La Amp...

Hint: Fang said Aircraft Carrier and all I could do was agree with him... It looks 1st Class...

Peace...
L3000.gif

Mar 18, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #312 of 1,057

It's the counter part Amp to the Shangri-La headphones...

The same one that was @ CES but the finished product looks 
COMPLETELY DIFFERENT... Sennheiser's Orpheus 2 Amp
looks like it lacks imagination compared to the Finished Shangri-La Amp...

Hint: Fang said Aircraft Carrier and all I could do was agree with him... It looks 1st Class...

Peace...
L3000.gif

The thing in the red circle is an old-school Stax cloth chord we used to see on SR-5. So what is this thing ?

Ali

Mar 18, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #313 of 1,057

The thing in the red circle is an old-school Stax cloth chord we used to see on SR-5. So what is this thing ?

Ali

There were 2 Shangri-Las plugged into the Amp...
blink.gif

Hope that helps clear things up...
atsmile.gif

Peace...
L3000.gif

Mar 20, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #315 of 1,057
Some news that I found about when talking to Dr. Fang Bian at SoCal CanJam 2016 -

It sounds like the release date for these may be pushed a bit back? Not too sure on this, though I do know that HFM wants to make the Shangri-La look and feel better after some criticism on those aspects.

Secondly, based on a picture (or maybe a concept drawing) that Dr. Bian showed me, the complementary amp is going to look way different than the prototype in these pictures. To me, it seems to look a lot better in terms of build quality, though I won't comment on the actual design itself. because it's really different than what's being shown right now, to say the least. Like with the Shangri-La, the re-design seem to be partly because of criticism of the current prototype design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back