HiFiMan Susvara
Jul 15, 2022 at 5:38 AM Post #16,666 of 26,029
It's always interesting to find we all hear differently (well, accurately speaking, I sometimes hear drastically different from most others). I do agree and can confirm that Ferrum OOR is very solid and got a good impression -- but not necessarily with Hypsos.. I personally preferred that amp wo hypsos.

But when ABed I found myself favoring AHB2 better in all the very exact criteria. Later I found LA90 met my requirements albeit sounded differently and I'm fully content with how the amp drives my Susvara. I'd also comment my taste and flavor can be unusual -- for example, I really liked how Akitika gt-102 sounded with Susvara. I couldn't find anyone else who agreed with me to date haha.

I think my weirdo-ish preference and expected financial gain (cost saving) biased me a lot. I don't seem to necessarily agree with general opinions toward typical recommendations when I actually heard (didn't hear a few super uber ones such as ef-1000 but that's out of my budget + I want to avoid high-heat amps anyway), either. @ZzZzZzZ should take a grain of salt in seeing my claims. There are less disputable options you'd like to check out.
I also share your experience that a full speaker amp is better than the Ferrum (which I still really love every time I test with the Susvara). I personally use a Moon 330A speaker amp and find it works best for me with the Susvara (marginally better even to my beloved Auris Nirvana)

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #16,667 of 26,029
I also share your experience that a full speaker amp is better than the Ferrum (which I still really love every time I test with the Susvara). I personally use a Moon 330A speaker amp and find it works best for me with the Susvara (marginally better even to my beloved Auris Nirvana)
I like to listen to music at lower volumes than most headphone aficionados. With my Keces S300 amp/Susvara combination, the sound is more defined and articulate at lower volumes than with my Pathos headphone amp powering the headphones. The Pathos can run the Susvara just fine, but I have to crank up the volume to get to the same level of definition.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #16,668 of 26,029
I like to listen to music at lower volumes than most headphone aficionados. With my Keces S300 amp/Susvara combination, the sound is more defined and articulate at lower volumes than with my Pathos headphone amp powering the headphones. The Pathos can run the Susvara just fine, but I have to crank up the volume to get to the same level of definition.
I’m same way, tend to listen at lower volume

I also find a speaker amp has the overhead to lets you get that bass texture and soundstage at at my comfort listening levels

Jul 15, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #16,669 of 26,029
Jul 15, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #16,671 of 26,029
Jul 15, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #16,672 of 26,029
I’m same way, tend to listen at lower volume

I also find a speaker amp has the overhead to lets you get that bass texture and soundstage at at my comfort listening levels

Agree here, and general fullness. This is probably the biggest plus that doesn't really get mentioned with the speaker/Susvara combo.

Jul 16, 2022 at 3:34 AM Post #16,673 of 26,029
Here's a question I have for everyone : What is the best review you have read (or watched) of the Susvara from the viewpoint of its sound attributes? I know about the importance of subjective preferences, and how they can skew things, but I also think there are some reviewers who are good at transcending their own skewed biases in order to give an appraisal of an hp's sonic performance attributes with which most owners can agree, even if those owners do not necessarily share the same exact sonic preferences. I wonder whether there is some consensus about what the best review out there of what the Susvara's sonic performance attributes are...

Jul 17, 2022 at 6:07 AM Post #16,674 of 26,029
It's always interesting to find we all hear differently (well, accurately speaking, I sometimes hear drastically different from most others). I do agree and can confirm that Ferrum OOR is very solid and got a good impression -- but not necessarily with Hypsos.. I personally preferred that amp wo hypsos.

But when ABed I found myself favoring AHB2 better in all the very exact criteria. Later I found LA90 met my requirements albeit sounded differently and I'm fully content with how the amp drives my Susvara. I'd also comment my taste and flavor can be unusual -- for example, I really liked how Akitika gt-102 sounded with Susvara. I couldn't find anyone else who agreed with me to date haha.

I think my weirdo-ish preference and expected financial gain (cost saving) biased me a lot. I don't seem to necessarily agree with general opinions toward typical recommendations when I actually heard (didn't hear a few super uber ones such as ef-1000 but that's out of my budget + I want to avoid high-heat amps anyway), either. @ZzZzZzZ should take a grain of salt in seeing my claims. There are less disputable options you'd like to check out.

I have not compared with other amplifiers but I am running the susvaras on an EF6 and am very pleased, it should meet most budgets.
It is high heat amp though.

Jul 17, 2022 at 6:59 AM Post #16,675 of 26,029
hi everyone, i just sold all my totl portable gears and got apair of susvara. now the next step is to get an amp. while i am pretty close to a decision for a benchmark ahb2 , i am still thinking other integrated amp especially the luxman l590A. Anyone had expereice with speaker integrated amp? thanks!

Jul 17, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #16,676 of 26,029
hi everyone, i just sold all my totl portable gears and got apair of susvara. now the next step is to get an amp. while i am pretty close to a decision for a benchmark ahb2 , i am still thinking other integrated amp especially the luxman l590A. Anyone had expereice with speaker integrated amp? thanks!
Using Soul note A2 integrated speaker amp. Works perfectly fine. Lots of current for Susvara. Very wide stage with the best seperation of instruments compared to headphone amps.

Jul 18, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #16,677 of 26,029
Using Soul note A2 integrated speaker amp. Works perfectly fine. Lots of current for Susvara. Very wide stage with the best seperation of instruments compared to headphone amps.

I suspect that this amp is also very capable on tone and density, isn't it?

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 18, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #16,678 of 26,029
I suspect that this amp is also very capable on tone and density, isn't it?

The amp is ultimately very refined. Handles the Susvara perfectly.

Jul 19, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #16,680 of 26,029
has anyone had crackling come from their cable connector when using the Susvara? I got the Lazuli Nirvana and the left connector crackles when I move around in my chair or swivel the connector in its socket. It doesn't do the same thing with my Arya. However, the base cables for the Susvara work just fine. I'm very confused.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back