HiFiMan Susvara
May 6, 2024 at 1:43 AM Post #25,606 of 25,885
It's now about three years I own a Susvara and FWIW here are the things I learned: It was a giant effort to get them sound great to my ears but I'm glad that I didn't give up. When I got them, I was a bit underwhelmed: while super detailed I found them too light in bass, occasionally too shouty in the upper mids and sometimes sounding a bit compressed overall. I experimented with different amps and although this improved things a little bit, it never sound quite right to me. In the last months I switched to fiber-based network and suddenly it sounded right! Now it sounds punchy, holographic and so big without being shouty anymore! Bass quantity just improved slightly but it seems for the first time that the timing is right. This improved the bass quality and tactility so much that the bass is wonderful now.
The Susvara is really reveals the properties and faults of the whole system and now I can hear about every change I make to my chain. In my case fixing the source was the biggest step I made. Now different amps are just more of a flavour in comparison.
My advice for all people who struggle with the Susvara and have the feeling that something does not sound right: Don't focus only on amps to fix the sound. Maybe you have a source issue that other headphones won't reveal. In my case fixing this was much more important.
what amp dac ?

May 6, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #25,608 of 25,885
Do you guys like susvara for space ambient or is a bit too smoothed over on the edges of the detail?

I compared sus 2.5 mm to 1266 TC and found sus a lot more polished/smooth sounding but maybe a bit too much whereas 1266 tc had more deep textural information.

Roll DACs and amps and even interconnects and power cables. The Sus can sound to whatever component synergy you put in there :)

May 6, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #25,609 of 25,885
DAC: Holo Spring 3 KTE
Amps: Accuphase E-380 (from Speaker Taps) and sometimes Ferrum Oor + Hypsos.

Use HQPlayer with the best filter that gives the aggression that you want with the Sus. However, HQPlayer can go only as far as your amp goes. Actually, if you switch to the Zhal HM1, you get the sound that you wanted out of the Sus

May 6, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #25,611 of 25,885
DAC: Holo Spring 3 KTE
Amps: Accuphase E-380 (from Speaker Taps) and sometimes Ferrum Oor + Hypsos.
You might get the sound you want with the Holo Bliss. I see the Zahl was mentioned and I loved it whenever I was able to audition it. But the Bliss can save you allot of money 💰. Either are fabulous with the Susvara with the Zahl being better but at a cost.

May 6, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #25,612 of 25,885
I compared sus 2.5 mm to 1266 TC and found sus a lot more polished/smooth sounding but maybe a bit too much whereas 1266 tc had more deep textural information.
I'm on record not liking the TC, so take my view with a big pinch of salt, but I do own one because I've never gotten around to listing it for sale.
The TC presents with what I consider a lot of false texture and detail. To me regardless of the source, it sounds like the treble is compressed (in the musical production sense) that results in what I describe as a sort of crystaline presentation that shoves high frequency detail in your face.
It sounds very impressive when you first hear it, but the timbre, and the decay are off on things like high hats and it irritates me quickly.

Lots of people just don't interpret it the same way I do, and there is nothing wrong with that, but I think you'll find the Susvara always sounds smoother.

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #25,613 of 25,885
I'm on record not liking the TC, so take my view with a big pinch of salt, but I do own one because I've never gotten around to listing it for sale.
The TC presents with what I consider a lot of false texture and detail. To me regardless of the source, it sounds like the treble is compressed (in the musical production sense) that results in what I describe as a sort of crystaline presentation that shoves high frequency detail in your face.
It sounds very impressive when you first hear it, but the timbre, and the decay are off on things like high hats and it irritates me quickly.

Lots of people just interpret it the same way I do, and there is nothing wrong with that, but I think you'll find the Susvara always sounds smoother.
https://den-fi.com/abyss-1266-tc-review/ Not sure have you seen this review :p

May 6, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #25,614 of 25,885
May 6, 2024 at 6:18 PM Post #25,616 of 25,885
While I agree with some of his observations, I don't think I'd go that far there is a lot to like about the 1266, and if Electronic Music were your music of choice it would be hard to match.
Cough.... Caldera. Cough.... :wink:

May 6, 2024 at 7:18 PM Post #25,617 of 25,885
While I agree with some of his observations, I don't think I'd go that far there is a lot to like about the 1266, and if Electronic Music were your music of choice it would be hard to match.
I also feel much different about AB 1266 overall. I think it is a great can, flawed but still a real treat to listen to IMO

May 6, 2024 at 9:53 PM Post #25,618 of 25,885
You might get the sound you want with the Holo Bliss. I see the Zahl was mentioned and I loved it whenever I was able to audition it. But the Bliss can save you allot of money 💰. Either are fabulous with the Susvara with the Zahl being better but at a cost.
Bliss is not the way to go if you don’t want the smoothed out upper and lower sound. Zahl and WA33 offer more dynamics, more clarity, and you get the extension in both ends. The DAC is also really important for this. Not sure what @smodtactical is using but Holo DAC, Bliss, and Susvara are all tuned similarly with that clean but smoothed out sound.

May 6, 2024 at 10:08 PM Post #25,619 of 25,885
I must say reviews like this to me are comical...I own both the susvara and 1266 and love them both..the 1266 is a great HP,one of a kind IMHO and there tons of reviewers and people who love it...a review like this is so extreme as to render is useless IMHO..if he said he liked a different sound signature or didnt like the comfort etc good for him but his view is so far from true that it is silly...I do not say everyone should like any product or that people arent entitled to say they like the susvara more than the 1266 etc but to utterly trash it ridiculous

May 6, 2024 at 10:26 PM Post #25,620 of 25,885
Everyone has a different taste but most people still take the Susvara as top 3 if not top #1 of headphones right now. 1266 is also ranked up there by most. I’m still deciding between getting a 1266 vs a Caldera Open as my next HP. Ugg choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back