Hifiman TWS600 - First Impression
May 13, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #226 of 240
Well, I think HIFIMAN is back on track this year, with the Deva. It beats the Sundara, which Iremember all of you guys liked a lot

On TWS600 - I tried my best to give some thought about it. Took me some time to understand why it was released and for whom. Has issues, mentioned the hiss in the background, mentioned that it lacks bass quantity, that they need EQ.

It ain't for anyone looking for V-Shaped or Balanced sound, I recommended Tevi and MOW07, and recommended RHA True Connect for a smoother, warmer type of sound.

May 13, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #227 of 240
Well, I think HIFIMAN is back on track this year, with the Deva. It beats the Sundara, which Iremember all of you guys liked a lot

On TWS600 - I tried my best to give some thought about it. Took me some time to understand why it was released and for whom. Has issues, mentioned the hiss in the background, mentioned that it lacks bass quantity, that they need EQ.

It ain't for anyone looking for V-Shaped or Balanced sound, I recommended Tevi and MOW07, and recommended RHA True Connect for a smoother, warmer type of sound.
George I know you like a lot of treble and love to EQ. Tweaking with EQ is one thing, but to even make these something worthy of a brief listen, EQ is a must. These are a major loss

May 13, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #228 of 240
The point is George. Read your review. Then imagine the innocent audiophile who reads it and buys them based on your recommendation, and the regret they'll have afterwards. If you can't see that ...... what's the point?

A review is not for the company who provided it. It should be your opinion of the truth of the product. Companies produce duds from time to time. If reviewers gloss over the bad points, then companies don't grow and don't improve.

I've said often - a reviewer is only as good as the trust he/she creates by giving an honest viewpoint. We all have bias and preference. But if we always take the manufacturers side - then the truth is lost in the process. And if the truth is lost, so is the trust of your readers. I'd rather lose a manufacturer than break the trust in the process/trust of the reader.

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #229 of 240
The point is George. Read your review. Then imagine the innocent audiophile who reads it and buys them based on your recommendation, and the regret they'll have afterwards. If you can't see that ...... what's the point?

A review is not for the company who provided it. It should be your opinion of the truth of the product. Companies produce duds from time to time. If reviewers gloss over the bad points, then companies don't grow and don't improve.

I've said often - a reviewer is only as good as the trust he/she creates by giving an honest viewpoint. We all have bias and preference. But if we always take the manufacturers side - then the truth is lost in the process. And if the truth is lost, so is the trust.
I have companies that won't work with me anymore, whom I won't mention. My directness on Head-Fi and life in general does not always make me a crowd favorite, but I am so okay with that. The reason I have my own space to write is for that reason. My tastes have grown expensive during my travel down the audio rabbit hole, and fortunately as a rule none of the TOTL items suck. That said, the pen is mightier than the sword. The TWS600 sucks if that means I receive no acknowledgement from Hifiman I am okay with that.

May 13, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #230 of 240
I was hoping to offer some food for thought on the purpose of a review but it has been well said here already, thanks for your opinions :)

As Brooko says, it should paint an accurate picture. That goes both ways in terms of positive and negative, rarely is anything purely one of the other, it is a disservice to paint a black and white picture. You are most welcome to read my TWS600 review, I have coloured it with my own preferences to the least extent.

And George, I'm sorry, but you literally stated in your previous post that the TWS600 was "nicely balanced", though you've edited the post in retrospect to suit what we've said, well done...

Luckily, I put your descriptors in my post "neutral, balanced, sparkly, engaging or well-extended". All things, this earphone is objectively not. You are not winning any brownie points.

Ironically, Hifiman has actually been excellent regarding feedback for the TWS600. Wouldn't buy it myself, nor would I recommend it to the majority and that is clear in my review. Nonetheless, the company received my review well and remains happy to work with me which is really great!

As Brooko pointed out, it ultimately helps both the company and the customer, that is the reason why is it so important to stay honest when reviewing, or rather, ensure you have a strong reference to back up your honesty.

May 13, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #231 of 240

FWIW, regarding EQ.

I suspect there are MANY music lovers, like me, who either loath to EQ, don't take the time to EQ or find it tedious (like me).

I have dabbled in it from time to time, but trying to suss it out is more work and time I would ever care to invest with numerous different profiles with many different cans/IEM's/buds with numerous different sources, genres, moods, etc, ad nauseum.

So I, among many others, would much rather find a can/IEM/Bud that is better balanced and matches my signature preference, than go through the trouble setting up and keeping a gazillion different EQ profiles.

I would just like to plug it in and "Enjoy the Music"

#NeverEQ

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #232 of 240
FWIW, regarding EQ.

I suspect there are MANY music lovers, like me, who either loath to EQ, don't take the time to EQ or find it tedious (like me).

I have dabbled in it from time to time, but trying to suss it out is more work and time I would ever care to institute with numerous cans/IEM's/buds with numerous different sources, genres, moods, etc, ad nauseum.

So I, among many others, would much rather find a can/IEM/Bud that is better balanced and matches my signature preference, than go through the trouble setting up and keeping a gazillion different EQ profiles.

I would just like to plug it in and "Enjoy the Music"

#NeverEQ

Well, then there are many good options out there as well!

I want to avoid using EQ, unless necessary. Heh, Meze 99C was the first headphone I ever reviewed officially on my website, and it needed a TON of EQ to sound good

I was hoping to offer some food for thought on the purpose of a review but it has been well said here already, thanks for your opinions :)

As Brooko says, it should paint an accurate picture. That goes both ways in terms of positive and negative, rarely is anything purely one of the other, it is a disservice to paint a black and white picture. You are most welcome to read my TWS600 review, I have coloured it with my own preferences to the least extent.

And George, I'm sorry, but you literally stated in your previous post that the TWS600 was "nicely balanced", though you've edited the post in retrospect to suit what we've said, well done...

Luckily, I put your descriptors in my post "neutral, balanced, sparkly, engaging or well-extended". All things, this earphone is objectively not. You are not winning any brownie points.

Ironically, Hifiman has actually been excellent regarding feedback for the TWS600. Wouldn't buy it myself, nor would I recommend it to the majority and that is clear in my review. Nonetheless, the company received my review well and remains happy to work with me which is really great!

As Brooko pointed out, it ultimately helps both the company and the customer, that is the reason why is it so important to stay honest when reviewing, or rather, ensure you have a strong reference to back up your honesty.

Well, will do my best to improve my works the more I write articles.

I edited my article to better relfect my personal thoughts, I understand how my choice of words may have been a bit too light, and that I needed to place more emphasis on how forward and bright the sound is, than on their other characteristics.

May 14, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #233 of 240

I want to avoid using EQ, unless necessary. Heh, Meze 99C was the first headphone I ever reviewed officially on my website, and it needed a TON of EQ to sound good

Your's must have been an early tuning or something as other than a bit of roll-off at the low end, notes on the 99 have largely been positive. It wasn't my favorite tuning, but to say a TON sounds like it had bigger problems than that on the one you got.

May 14, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #234 of 240
Your's must have been an early tuning or something as other than a bit of roll-off at the low end, notes on the 99 have largely been positive. It wasn't my favorite tuning, but to say a TON sounds like it had bigger problems than that on the one you got.
Yes I never found the 99 to need any tweaks. Great out the box. Of course that is my subjective opinion but the headphone was so well received and I never saw anyone mention the need for EQ.

May 14, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #235 of 240

Yes, they were the first release AFAIK, still had one of the first generation of pads.

Sounded different from the 99Neo I tested when they were released, which had the new pads.

May 14, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #236 of 240

Well, will do my best to improve my works the more I write articles.

I edited my article to better relfect my personal thoughts, I understand how my choice of words may have been a bit too light, and that I needed to place more emphasis on how forward and bright the sound is, than on their other characteristics.

I've seen some really brutally honest reviews from you George, it seems like you're doing a good job but perhaps don't have a standardised reference. I personally find it helpful to listen to something I am very familiar with that is ballpark "balanced" in between reviews, and that becomes my reference - At present that tends to be the Fibae 7. That means when I switch to a new set like the TWS600, I am able to accurately pinpoint what's going on with the sound. Unfortunately, our brains adjust to different sound signatures and normalise it so the longer you listen, the more balanced it seems. Hope that helps.

May 14, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #237 of 240
I've seen some really brutally honest reviews from you George, it seems like you're doing a good job but perhaps don't have a standardised reference. I personally find it helpful to listen to something I am very familiar with that is ballpark "balanced" in between reviews, and that becomes my reference - At present that tends to be the Fibae 7. That means when I switch to a new set like the TWS600, I am able to accurately pinpoint what's going on with the sound. Unfortunately, our brains adjust to different sound signatures and normalise it so the longer you listen, the more balanced it seems. Hope that helps.

Thank you for the kind advice!

Indeed, it is very useful to have something to reset to, I should try to define one and always come back to it. Sundara is not the best choice, given it is a touch cold and bright, compared to what most would find natural / balanced.

Will look into hearing Fibae 7 as well in the future (?)

May 15, 2020 at 5:21 AM Post #238 of 240
Plus one on the reference tool / IEM. And secret is to go with an IEM when comparing IEMs. Mine is the Alclair Curve. Its very balanced, very flat. If anything I like to add a little amount of sub-bass to the Curve (for the slight drop-off)

curve.png

Compare the very benign slight rise of the Curve at 2kHz with the TWS600's ~20 dB peak. Add the very flat base profile from the Hifiman, and you can see why many people find them problematic

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back