High-End DIY
Jul 29, 2008 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

dgbiker1

500+ Head-Fier
Looking at the Beta22 thread on this forum got me thinking: Which DIY/mod projects stand up to the big guns listed in this forum. I personally prefer to build my own equipment, and I'm sure many others do, so a list of high-end DIY projects seems like valuable information.

Off the top of my head, I could think of:
-Beta22
-Bottlehead sex kit
-Opus dac
-Modified Sony PS1

Jul 29, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #3 of 52
Audio Note UK supplies DIY material for your projects, including their awesome speakers & DACs.

If you want to keep it real & old school/hard-core, look into building a L'Audiophile amp designed by Jean Hiraga. For the more traditional-minded, you can do a DIY Pass amp.

If I had space & DIY-skeelz, I'd probably try to build my own monster speakers with Tannoy Red, PHY, or Altec Lansing drivers.

Probably the most well-known DIY project is the Garrard 301/401 project, making the plinth.

IMHO, any Sony PS1 mod just isn't worth it; I've had two different modded versions of PS1, but the original was clearly better. It's weird why that is, but that's how it is. The original SCPH-1001, warts and all, was much better than any modded version with fancy caps, etc.

Jul 29, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #4 of 52
Dynahi, KGBH, KGSS, some of the tube amp designs out there....

Jul 29, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #7 of 52
If you consider any other comercial portable amp as high end, the the mini3 as well.

The M3 with o11 could also be considered high end.

Yeah the bufalo from TPA should be in the high end category as well.

The millett max is an high end hibrid amp as well.

The bijou is an high end all tube amp.

The menace at least from the specs and parts used by n_maher in his build could also be in the high end.

The EZ DAC since it uses the flagship DAC fomr TI and a no nonsense aproach.

And so on and so on...

Jul 30, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #8 of 52
Nice, all kinds of kits/designs I'd never heard of on the site or forgotten about
biggrin.gif
Exactly the kind of information I was hoping would pop up.

@penger: If the opus is included, the buffalo probably should be as well since it's supposed to be a bit better right?

Jul 30, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #9 of 52
You should take a look at Michael Percy Audio, too. No kits or plans, but you can get all those wonderful exotic parts from him. If you want to spend $12 for a resistor, you can.

Aug 2, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #12 of 52
I have built a 3886 Chip Amp (Class D), that I believe competes with a ton of other stuff priced 10X as much.

Check out the kits at Audio Sector - BrianGT also has a 3886 kit that is a great sounding amp.

I was totally floored by the detail, soundstage, black quiet, and cost of such amps.

I also have an amp I build with Hypex 180ST/Power Supply modules, and that is even better than the 3886 amp I built, albeit more than 4X more expensive, too.

Aug 2, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #14 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by MeanWillieGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have built a 3886 Chip Amp (Class D), that I believe competes with a ton of other stuff priced 10X as much.

Check out the kits at Audio Sector - BrianGT also has a 3886 kit that is a great sounding amp.

I was totally floored by the detail, soundstage, black quiet, and cost of such amps.

I also have an amp I build with Hypex 180ST/Power Supply modules, and that is even better than the 3886 amp I built, albeit more than 4X more expensive, too.

The 3886 is TI's current out DAC chip right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back