Holo Audio Bliss
Feb 6, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #3,166 of 3,297
The S17 can do 16V output and MJ3 can do 17V. But that's a difference of 0.5dB so any differences there are likely just going to be down to which of the two amps you prefer the sound of.

Remember, for tungsten, the 32 Ohm power spec is completely irrelevant. That gives an indication of current capability but the limitation with Tungsten is voltage. You need to look at the 300 Ohm spec. (0.9W on S17 and 1.0W on MJ3)
Yep, fortunately Aune has a 150 ohm spec for the amp and that's what I used to calculate voltage and I came around the same number as you.

So I'm missing 4v in order to reach the recommended and "magical" 20v number to run Tungsten SS, in theory with my amp I could drive tungsten SS up to 109dB(not planning to listen that high tho lol!), do you think that would be enough in order to get he most out of tungsten or I'm gonna be missing a lot?

Feb 6, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #3,167 of 3,297
Yep, fortunately Aune has a 150 ohm spec for the amp and that's what I used to calculate voltage and I came around the same number as you.

So I'm missing 4v in order to reach the recommended and "magical" 20v number to run Tungsten SS, in theory with my amp I could drive tungsten SS up to 109dB(not planning to listen that high tho lol!), do you think that would be enough in order to get he most out of tungsten or I'm gonna be missing a lot?
The 20V figure isn't a particular target, it's just that due to the components and rail voltages used in many designs, it's very very common for headphone amps to end up with a max output voltage of ~10V or ~20V.

The 10V amps will be fine if you don't listen all that loud. (I use a 10V amp for example). The 20V amps will be fine for the majority of people.

If you listen loud and need more than 20V, firstly you should work on listening quieter as you are listening at unsafe levels, but secondly you'll usually just need to look at speaker amps at that point.

The key thing to remember though is that voltage requirement scales logarithmically. 30V won't get you 50% more than 20V, it'll just get you ~3.5dB more.
People may not be aware of this and so sometimes people seem to be worrying about a small voltage difference when in reality it's going to affect the driving potential by maybe a dB if that.

But also due to this and the fact that Tungsten sensitivity happens to land it right in that 10-30V region, it's simply not a case of 'can X amp drive Tungsten?' and instead almost entirely about how loud you listen

Feb 6, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #3,168 of 3,297
The 20V figure isn't a particular target, it's just that due to the components and rail voltages used in many designs, it's very very common for headphone amps to end up with a max output voltage of ~10V or ~20V.

The 10V amps will be fine if you don't listen all that loud. (I use a 10V amp for example). The 20V amps will be fine for the majority of people.

If you listen loud and need more than 20V, firstly you should work on listening quieter as you are listening at unsafe levels, but secondly you'll usually just need to look at speaker amps at that point.

The key thing to remember though is that voltage requirement scales logarithmically. 30V won't get you 50% more than 20V, it'll just get you ~3.5dB more.
People may not be aware of this and so sometimes people seem to be worrying about a small voltage difference when in reality it's going to affect the driving potential by maybe a dB if that.

But also due to this and the fact that Tungsten sensitivity happens to land it right in that 10-30V region, it's simply not a case of 'can X amp drive Tungsten?' and instead almost entirely about how loud you listen
Thanks Golden, this was very helpful, I do plan to get tungsten SS version, need to save a little bit of cash and more importantly, be able to get to order one because right now it's kind of impossible to do so, last sales drop it sold out in less than a minute, so right now it's kind of a game of chairs but in turbo mode.

Feb 6, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #3,169 of 3,297

Good info thanks. Personally not even thinking about Tungston.

Waiting on the Caldera Closed and buying a Serene next month for my speaker room I am setting up.

Are you going to New York CanJam. Would be interested in your thoughts on the Caldera Closed if Zach has a demo unit set up.

Feb 6, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #3,170 of 3,297
Good info thanks. Personally not even thinking about Tungston.

Waiting on the Caldera Closed and buying a Serene next month for my speaker room I am setting up.

Are you going to New York CanJam. Would be interested in your thoughts on the Caldera Closed if Zach has a demo unit set up.
I'll be at NYC yep!

Feb 7, 2024 at 5:45 AM Post #3,171 of 3,297
Pic Jos from magna-hifi sent me recently

Curious what you think about the sound change, considering getting the fuse soon too.
I installed the purple fuse, first thing you will notice more refined details, blacker background, better extension on bass and highs

However you will feel the vocals became a bit less present but in a good way, the midrange now mashes better with the rest of the frequency range

Having utopia 2022, is my tool to test any changes I make in a system than any other headphone i own

For me i turn on both amp and dac and definitely after 30 minutes things sound better than listening right after you turn on the amp

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 6:31 PM Post #3,172 of 3,297
I just want to give a shout out to everyone that has posted info on Holo Audio products here. I've only had my Spring 3 KTE and Bliss KTE wired in for a week. And as I was writing this my Red arrived! It will soon receive a Purple fuse I bought for it and I'm awaiting a Tubulus Concentus to be delivered in the next week or two. Normally I like to audition audio components before purchasing, but the measurements and commentary by fellow enthusiasts checked all the boxes for what I was looking for. I know I still have a couple more weeks before everything settles in but at this point I couldn't be happier at this point. Of course this also means that I need to remaster my 42TB of 24bit PGGB files into 19 to 21 bit files (although initial listening leaves me to believe that 21 bit sounds better). And I'm awaiting Purple fuses for the Sping and Bliss. Again, THANK YOU!

Feb 7, 2024 at 7:56 PM Post #3,173 of 3,297
I just want to give a shout out to everyone that has posted info on Holo Audio products here. I've only had my Spring 3 KTE and Bliss KTE wired in for a week. And as I was writing this my Red arrived! It will soon receive a Purple fuse I bought for it and I'm awaiting a Tubulus Concentus to be delivered in the next week or two. Normally I like to audition audio components before purchasing, but the measurements and commentary by fellow enthusiasts checked all the boxes for what I was looking for. I know I still have a couple more weeks before everything settles in but at this point I couldn't be happier at this point. Of course this also means that I need to remaster my 42TB of 24bit PGGB files into 19 to 21 bit files (although initial listening leaves me to believe that 21 bit sounds better). And I'm awaiting Purple fuses for the Sping and Bliss. Again, THANK YOU!
Thats more than an entire ZFS storage pool for most folks. As Darth Vader would say......Impressive. Not a cheap piece of software either.

I don't think I could give up that much storage space though. Personally, I would sacrifice the information and smoothness and go HQ Player.

I hope you got at least RaidZ2 or some other kind of parity set up. That's a lot of data to lose.

Feb 8, 2024 at 12:44 AM Post #3,174 of 3,297
The S17 can do 16V output and MJ3 can do 17V. But that's a difference of 0.5dB so any differences there are likely just going to be down to which of the two amps you prefer the sound of.

Remember, for tungsten, the 32 Ohm power spec is completely irrelevant. That gives an indication of current capability but the limitation with Tungsten is voltage. You need to look at the 300 Ohm spec. (0.9W on S17 and 1.0W on MJ3)
So should we be using the Hi-Z mode with the Bliss + Tungsten? Sorry if this was already addressed.

Feb 8, 2024 at 7:11 AM Post #3,175 of 3,297
So should we be using the Hi-Z mode with the Bliss + Tungsten? Sorry if this was already addressed.
Use Lo-Z for tungsten.
The Hi-Z is intended for dynamic driver headphones and will slightly change their frequency response.

With tungsten the impedance curve is flat so there's no change in FR when using Hi-Z mode but in Hi-Z mode the rated power threshold is lower and so you're better sticking to Lo-Z

Feb 10, 2024 at 3:49 AM Post #3,176 of 3,297
Pic Jos from magna-hifi sent me recently

1705061604113.png

Curious what you think about the sound change, considering getting the fuse soon too.
Just a heads up, my purple fuse is flipped. Guess this picture was for the EU Holo Bliss, to have it installed this direction. I have the 110V Bliss, I installed this direction, it wasn't as clear. Installing it the opposite direction thats when all the clarity came in. S at bottom R at top.

Don't want everyone to get confused on direction of fuse.

Feb 10, 2024 at 3:58 AM Post #3,177 of 3,297
It’s an EU bliss, yep, it uses different fuses than US.

Feb 10, 2024 at 6:45 AM Post #3,178 of 3,297
Use Lo-Z for tungsten.
The Hi-Z is intended for dynamic driver headphones and will slightly change their frequency response.

With tungsten the impedance curve is flat so there's no change in FR when using Hi-Z mode but in Hi-Z mode the rated power threshold is lower and so you're better sticking to Lo-Z
This confirms my suspicion. I've tried A/Bing Lo-Z versus Hi-Z but I found that while it sounds the same, my brain is telling me that Hi-Z sounds wrong over time, so I leave it at Lo-Z, and that discomfort goes away.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Ahti
Back