Holo Audio Cyan 2 DAC
May 1, 2024 at 7:12 AM Post #796 of 801
I think USB input takes priority,
In my unit it's not working like that. If I2S is used, turning on USB doesn't switch it to USB until I2S is off.
If you ask me personally the Excalibur improved clarity a little bit in my system when I bought it a few years ago, but I have no intention opening a debate with my post.
No debate is necessary as it's easy just to try. I got Ricable Dedalus 0,5m. At this point I can't say which input may be best for me: I2S from Gustard U18 or USB directly from Daphile.
I2S in this config sound is more airy (like it's brighter), it feels there's more resolution because of it.
USB has more "meat".
Choice between generic USB cable and I2S was simple favoring the second, so to my ears premium-ish USB cable does something better.

Concluding,
this forum made doubt in any common sense opinion I had on things that should not make any difference to sound from any device, like fuse. Boy, how disappointed I was after putting SR Purple fuse to Pegasus DAC, cause common sense failed.
Now USB cable..

May 1, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #797 of 801
I’ve been considering the Cyan2 to replace my Ares II (pretty much all reviewers agree that it’s a clear upgrade) and am also looking forward to be able to connect both RCA and XLR outs (not recommended on Denafrips DACs). My streamer is the Auralic Aries Mini and it plays DSD over USB to the Ares without any issues (even DAD512). However the specs of the Cyan2 indicate that for Linux it has only DSD DoP. Will I have any problems with playing DSD from my Auralic to the Cyan2? Maybe someone has experience with this DAC and a similar streamer?

May 1, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #798 of 801
I’ve been considering the Cyan2 to replace my Ares II (pretty much all reviewers agree that it’s a clear upgrade) and am also looking forward to be able to connect both RCA and XLR outs (not recommended on Denafrips DACs). My streamer is the Auralic Aries Mini and it plays DSD over USB to the Ares without any issues (even DAD512). However the specs of the Cyan2 indicate that for Linux it has only DSD DoP. Will I have any problems with playing DSD from my Auralic to the Cyan2? Maybe someone has experience with this DAC and a similar streamer?
I connect my raspberry pi 4 as a NAA to the cyan 2, it supports native dsd upto 1024 not dop

May 1, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #799 of 801
I connect my raspberry pi 4 as a NAA to the cyan 2, it supports native dsd upto 1024 not dop
Thanks, that’s great news and hopefully solves my issue. Seems that the product description on Audiophonics.fr is incorrect:

“Holo Audio's CYAN 2 DAC is one of the first to support native DSD via its R2R ladder architecture. The CYAN 2 module has been specially optimized for this application, and runs on MAC (DOP), Linux (DOP), and Windows/PC (Direct Native and DOP).”

May 1, 2024 at 5:12 PM Post #800 of 801
Thanks, that’s great news and hopefully solves my issue. Seems that the product description on Audiophonics.fr is incorrect:

“Holo Audio's CYAN 2 DAC is one of the first to support native DSD via its R2R ladder architecture. The CYAN 2 module has been specially optimized for this application, and runs on MAC (DOP), Linux (DOP), and Windows/PC (Direct Native and DOP).”
No drivers needed with Linux

Users who are viewing this thread

Back