Holo Cyan 2 - A super brief review
Jan 25, 2024 at 6:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

henry9731

Member of the Trade: Astral Acoustics
WhatsApp Image 2024-01-25 at 7.21.16 PM.jpeg

So. The Cyan 2. (Excuse the mess, I have been messing around the PC area lately, and will be using the Cyan 2 in a vertical position for the time being)

Headphone: Sony Mv1
Earphones: Apple Earpods (no really, even the earpods can tell the difference)
Amp: Holo Bliss KTE
DAC: Holo Cyan 2 vs Musician Pegasus

It’s been 3 days since plugging in the Cyan 2, and I believe the initial fluctuations are starting to settle down, thus writing this impression.

Man, the position of the instruments, separation, and overall presentation of things are incredible.

For example, how clearly can I listen to the lyrics of a metal song?
How detailed are the ghost notes of a snare drum?
What is the timbre of the brass, and is it too abrasive?
Can I easily pick out SATB out from a choir group?

The answer is simply yes.

In the bigger picture, the Cyan sounds so much fuller while incredibly delicate compared to the Musician Pegasus. The vocals are super sweet, and the reproduction of sibilance is just right. And I love way the Cyan layers the bass, it is not in your face tho it is still incredibly punchy, but it is more about creating the atmosphere instead of just “yea heres bass.”

Also, the way the cyan can pinpoint every cymbal is insane. Listen to bands like Dream Theater and Sleeptoken, where the drummers use a lot of cymbals; you can literally hear the placement on the hit instead of just “yea, its on the left/centre/right”

The Cyan 2 is just simply amazing.

With only 20w of power, it’s not hot at all, unlike the spring 2 that I'm using in the speaker system…
The only complaint is the lack of input switching, and THE LED LIGHTS ARE TOO BRIGHT!!!!

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-25 at 7.21.18 PM.jpeg

Jan 25, 2024 at 5:10 PM Post #2 of 6
Great review. I am considering the purchase of this DAC as it seem tot tick all the boxes. How is the automatic switching of inputs? I would like to connect met I²S streamer and my TV (optical). Doest it detect it when a signal is send through optical and switch over automatically?

Jan 26, 2024 at 1:38 AM Post #3 of 6
Great review. I am considering the purchase of this DAC as it seem tot tick all the boxes. How is the automatic switching of inputs? I would like to connect met I²S streamer and my TV (optical). Doest it detect it when a signal is send through optical and switch over automatically?
It only pairs with the first plugged-in port. Signal switching has to be done manually.

Jan 26, 2024 at 11:40 PM Post #5 of 6
WhatsApp Image 2024-01-25 at 7.21.16 PM.jpeg

So. The Cyan 2. (Excuse the mess, I have been messing around the PC area lately, and will be using the Cyan 2 in a vertical position for the time being)

Headphone: Sony Mv1
Earphones: Apple Earpods (no really, even the earpods can tell the difference)
Amp: Holo Bliss KTE
DAC: Holo Cyan 2 vs Musician Pegasus

It’s been 3 days since plugging in the Cyan 2, and I believe the initial fluctuations are starting to settle down, thus writing this impression.

Man, the position of the instruments, separation, and overall presentation of things are incredible.

For example, how clearly can I listen to the lyrics of a metal song?
How detailed are the ghost notes of a snare drum?
What is the timbre of the brass, and is it too abrasive?
Can I easily pick out SATB out from a choir group?

The answer is simply yes.

In the bigger picture, the Cyan sounds so much fuller while incredibly delicate compared to the Musician Pegasus. The vocals are super sweet, and the reproduction of sibilance is just right. And I love way the Cyan layers the bass, it is not in your face tho it is still incredibly punchy, but it is more about creating the atmosphere instead of just “yea heres bass.”

Also, the way the cyan can pinpoint every cymbal is insane. Listen to bands like Dream Theater and Sleeptoken, where the drummers use a lot of cymbals; you can literally hear the placement on the hit instead of just “yea, its on the left/centre/right”

The Cyan 2 is just simply amazing.

With only 20w of power, it’s not hot at all, unlike the spring 2 that I'm using in the speaker system…
The only complaint is the lack of input switching, and THE LED LIGHTS ARE TOO BRIGHT!!!!

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-25 at 7.21.18 PM.jpeg
Thx. Can you share thoughts of Cyan2 vs Spring2 ?

Very close/similar, despite big price diff ?

Apr 16, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #6 of 6
How is rhythmic behaviour? Does it make you tap your feet?

Can it bring you into that dreamy state, where you just lean back and forget about everything else? This is very difficult to describe, but I think it has to do with the ability of a device to let tones, sounds appear with a strong identity. Whenever I hear this it's like the tones tell me: "Yo, lean back. Forget about everything else. Here, take my hand and let me lead you!" And it pulls me into the flow...

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back