How bad is sound leakage of Grados?
Jun 22, 2007 at 2:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

flargosa

500+ Head-Fier
I want to get a SR225 for work use, but I'm worried it will leak too much sound and bother everybody in the other cubicles. Anyway, how far away can you hear the music of someone using Grado's at medium to low volumes? And how is sound leakage compared to Senn 580/600.

Thanks.

Jun 22, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #2 of 30
That's easy...it's not a problem. The noise pollution thing is blown way out of proportion to reality.

When I listen at a perfectly sane level approximating what I hear through my speakers for watching action flicks, I can set my MS-1 or MS2i down on my desk in front of me and only hear the very slightest sound. My HD600 are just slightly less. Somebody five feet away with no obstructions between them and the phones would have to really strain to hear anything at all.

If you listen at a level allowing you to hear at all what's going on around you, you won't be bothering anybody else, especially if you're in a cubicle situation. No problem at all.

Jun 22, 2007 at 2:41 PM Post #4 of 30
They leak live a sieve.

If you listen at safe/healthy/reasonable volumes (85dbs or less), you most likely will not annoy people around you in the office.

If you listen to them at a volume like the average teen aged iPOD/iBUD user does (IE ear shattering volumes that will make you go deaf within a year or so, ~125+ DBs), then you will annoy the hell out of everyone within 40 or 50 feet of you.

Jun 22, 2007 at 2:41 PM Post #5 of 30
Very much depends on what you perceive as 'medium to low' volume, compared to the person next to you. Everyone perceives volume and hear differently.

That said, I think Grados leak sound big-time and you can almost practically turn them into phone speakers for the whole office (assuming you turn it loud enough and the background is quiet enough).

Cheers

Jun 22, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #6 of 30
They don't leak that much at normal listening levels. The HD650/600/580 leak more than Grado headphones. While others won't be able to hear exactly what you're listening to, they may be disturbed by the noise. How quiet is your working environment? At loud volumes, they could certainly double as personal speakers
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2007 at 3:03 PM Post #7 of 30
My definition of medium low listening level is when the music still allows me to hear and converse with other coworkers.

The environmental noise at my workplace is moderate to low, I work in finance so yeah lots of occasional conversations going around, printers printing , ringing phones, clicking keyboards, boss walking around talking to everybody, I guess the regular stuff.

Jun 22, 2007 at 3:10 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They leak live a sieve.

If you listen at safe/healthy/reasonable volumes (85dbs or less), you most likely will not annoy people around you in the office.

If you listen to them at a volume like the average teen aged iPOD/iBUD user does (IE ear shattering volumes that will make you go deaf within a year or so, ~125+ DBs), then you will annoy the hell out of everyone within 40 or 50 feet of you.

I agree with this statement 100%. Unfortunately they really do leak like a sieve, and anyone with bat like hearing will most likely start complaining. My wife has bat hearing , it was one of her God given abilities
mad.gif
so I speak from experience.
Keep in mind that with background noise around you there will be the tendancy to turn them up a notch or two to compensate. Hmmm tough one, maybe closed?. Or just say screw it, I love the Grado sound and Im willing to live with any inconveniences that may tag along with it.
icon10.gif

Jun 22, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by flargosa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My definition of medium low listening level is when the music still allows me to hear and converse with other coworkers.

The environmental noise at my workplace is moderate to low, I work in finance so yeah lots of occasional conversations going around, printers printing , ringing phones, clicking keyboards, boss walking around talking to everybody, I guess the regular stuff.

If your finance office is anything like mine (which goes by the same description by the way), a Grado will definitely be audible in the office. Your colleagues may not exactly know what music or even lyrics are playing but they can definitely hear the high-frequency sound emitted. This is at medium-level volume. Some may not mind it but some do, so keep that in mind.

Cheers!

Jun 22, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

I'd say that it won't really be a problem then. The Grados DO indeed leak a lot. But when listening at low volumes this shouldn't be a problem.

Jun 22, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Great.

I would guesstimate that you are listening between 70 and 75DBs, which should be absolutely no problem whatsoever as far as sound leakage bothering your co-workers is concerned.

I work in an office, and I listen at around 80DBs with my MS-2is (basically Grado phones). I just took them off and placed them on my desk. My ears are about 6 feet from the phones on the desk. With the ambient noise in my office environment (computer fans, printers, AC unit hum, phones ringing, keyboard clatter, etc) I can hear them if I really concentrate on hearing them. They certainly aren't leaking enough that it would annoy me if I were one of the victims... err, I mean 'co-workers' in question.

If you listen at a low enough volume to still hold conversations with people, I seriously doubt the leakage will bother anyone in the office.

Now if you were in the library, it would be a bit of different story, since there isn't nearly as much ambient noise for your leaky Grado phones to compete with compared to an office environment.

I say go for it.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 22, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #12 of 30
I'm going to be buying a Grado from Headroom, and see how it works out at work. They have a 30 day return policy. I think trying it out myself is the best option, since everybody seems have different experiences with Grado headphones. Thanks for the varied opinions guys.
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

I'm going to be buying a Grado from Headroom, and see how it works out at work. They have a 30 day return policy. I think trying it out myself is the best option, since everybody seems have different experiences with Grado headphones. Thanks for the varied opinions guys.
biggrin.gif

Way to go!

Please let us know how it works out, because if it doesn't then I am sure we will all be happy to confuse you even further by suggesting about 10 different pairs of closed phones!

Jul 2, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #15 of 30
Brought my Grado at work today, not an issue at all. At least it does not seem to be audible to my neighboring cubicles (at medium low volumes), plus it also sounds great at low volumes.

Medium low volume = Tomahawk @ 9:00am at low gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back