How do cheap IEM's compare to expensive ones?
Apr 19, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #16 of 25
I'm assuming, I could be wrong, that bass is important to you as you seemed to like the Beats. If that is the case, then your first listen to the IE80s will probably convince you that you made the right decision but time will tell.

You've had all sorts of opinions thrown at you from the 14 posts so far and while many of them say look elsewhere they don't say where to look. I own a pair of the IE80s so I can speak from experience. I've also heard other iems in the price range. I listen to music that includes dubstep, trance, rock, jazz, chamber, solo piano and orchestral. Nobody has asked you what sort of music you like to listen to. This does matter with a lot of iems.

Some posters are implying that as the IE80s are no longer 'top tier' they don't sound so good. The logic of that astonishes me and who said you wanted top tier anyway? So start with what your instinct tells you - the IE80s. The IE80 is an extremely good all-rounder with a strong but detailed bass, an excellent midrange and clear treble. It also has the best soundstage of any IEM that I've heard and this is one thing that really makes them shine. One small caveat. Do yourself a favour and look past the ear tips that Sennheiser provide as they are not very good. The best I've found are Auvio hybrids which can be be picked up for about $5 for two pairs from any Radio Shack outlet or from their online store. The increased clarity they give you is unbelievable for what is a simple $2.50 upgrade.

If, at the end of the day they don't so the job for you, sell them on and try something else. This, unfortunately is the nature of the game when seeking out a really good iem.

Apr 19, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #17 of 25
Another thing to consider with the IE80's is that they are built like a tank - come with a 2 year warranty (buying from authorized dealer) and have some of the nicest detachable cables available. There is a cottage industry in replacement cables for IE80's. Certainly the IE80 isn't brought up as much as it used to be, but this is a small slice of audiodom (is that a word?) There are many, many people who have these IEM's in their collections and they are still going strong. The fact they are still mentioned at all while a parade of FOTM have come and gone is saying something. Watch out for fakes, but they are some of the most popular high end dynamic cans for a reason. They are a great deal of fun to listen to. (P.S. - I use Sony Hybrid tips on my IE8's - the ones that come with them are dookie)

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:
Top tier as in.... part of the select 10 or so that were considered the best.  Not saying its not good, because it is but how many times have you heard a recommendation for IE80 over GR07's in the past year?  Rarely.... There has been this huge surge in different IEMS from MANY companies that old top dogs (MTPC, IE80, Tripfi 10's etc etc) aren't clearly the best of the best anymore.  That's expected but to pay 200 pounds for IE80's just doesn't seem logical.  

There were a lot less companies just a few years ago.  Big players were Sennheiser, Monster, UE, Westone a few others.  Now there is Brainwavz, Fischer, Vsonic, Final Audio, and lots more.  

Trust me...I still think MTPC's are one of the best dynamic iems, but its rarely mentioned now.  

Ai8... yeah Gr07 gained its position again + now people are going after Inexpensive IEM's which is a good thing as well... And big company's like sennheiser should Consider about its price tag's. But still i didn't appreciate the Gr07's sound Sig much. Always felt like the Sound stage is too small. and about the MTPC , last time i used my MTPC's were 1 year ago so , after seeing ur post i actually took it back and gave it a listen, so far what i can say is its not as clear as The 80's .. some what clouded with bass and its not transparent at all... may be my ear's gone analytic all of a sudden 
tongue_smile.gif
 .. but here we go bro U and me are two Different creature's ...  And yeah MTPC's were one of the Best All rounder IEM's i had ( period)

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:
I'm assuming, I could be wrong, that bass is important to you as you seemed to like the Beats. If that is the case, then your first listen to the IE80s will probably convince you that you made the right decision but time will tell.

You've had all sorts of opinions thrown at you from the 14 posts so far and while many of them say look elsewhere they don't say where to look. I own a pair of the IE80s so I can speak from experience. I've also heard other iems in the price range. I listen to music that includes dubstep, trance, rock, jazz, chamber, solo piano and orchestral. Nobody has asked you what sort of music you like to listen to. This does matter with a lot of iems.

Some posters are implying that as the IE80s are no longer 'top tier' they don't sound so good. The logic of that astonishes me and who said you wanted top tier anyway? So start with what your instinct tells you - the IE80s. The IE80 is an extremely good all-rounder with a strong but detailed bass, an excellent midrange and clear treble. It also has the best soundstage of any IEM that I've heard and this is one thing that really makes them shine. One small caveat. Do yourself a favour and look past the ear tips that Sennheiser provide as they are not very good. The best I've found are Auvio hybrids which can be be picked up for about $5 for two pairs from any Radio Shack outlet or from their online store. The increased clarity they give you is unbelievable for what is a simple $2.50 upgrade.

If, at the end of the day they don't so the job for you, sell them on and try something else. This, unfortunately is the nature of the game when seeking out a really good iem.

Exactly... but people hear different. Got to respect that 
rolleyes.gif

Apr 21, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #21 of 25
I had the IE8s and while I liked their sound, the left channel failed just 2 months past the 2 year point - not so good for iems which were quite expensive.

I'm happy now with the mid-range iems in my signature and the budget Shures - they sound good enough - the IE60 sound better than the Klipsch, both sound better than the Shures, but none of them sounds bad, plus I shouldn't have to worry about not having a set of iems if one breaks.

Apr 21, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #22 of 25
You should be fine with the IE80. Yes, there is something which we call the law of diminishing returns: at some point your going to have to spend much more for say a 5% increase in sound quality (however you may perceive the latter). Having said that, for me those differences are huge. As for the IE80: they may be a little bassy if you listen to e.g. metal, but they are very good. IMO, the soundstage is still highly impressive and I dare to say that you'd have a hard time finding a more spacious soundstage than on the IE80 in similar price leagues and up. And if you were fine with the price tag at first, then don't worry too much and give them a go.. :wink:

Oh and btw, do try the double flange eartips supplied with the IE80. I still use mine on basically all IEMs I get my hands on, they're that good IMO. They also get a lot of praise on the boards, though the Sony hybrid tips (original, no fakes) are excellent to try as well. Enjoy them!

Apr 21, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #23 of 25
IE80's were once considered a top tier iem, now they are barely a blip on the rader.  But if you must have bass....IE80's are good for you.  

"good sound" is subjective.  What one considers good can be someone else's garbage.  If you want to seem like you're in the club... Beats will do just fine for you.  As long as YOU think they sound good.... everyone elses opinion dont matter.  

Someone with stock apple earbuds could be just as happy as I am with my JH13's.  

Nicely said.

Apr 21, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #24 of 25
I recently upgraded from my UE700 to IE80. I think I set my expectations too high because I was not blown away from the sound quality. Like many people before have mentioned a large part of it is the tips that you used. Comply tips gave a good seal but many people complain that it muddles the sound. There are JVC tips that people highly recommend. Or you can try out the Auvio someone else mentioned earlier.
Bottom line, just give them a chance they may grow on you.

Apr 22, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:
This.

I've heard/tried/owned many expensive IEMs and have come to the conclusion that the price differences are just not worth it (lower priced vs. "top tier" costing $200-500+). For kicks, I just bought a pair of UE500 from Amazon for $25 (sale price) and also own a pair of AKG 350CRM, which I got for $24.99. Both sound fantastic. The UE 350vi also sounds great, and also was under $25 (Amazon sale). The UEs may have durability issues according to feedback. Guess I will find out. Not sure about the AKGs. wjkli11 nailed it. The money gap and the "sound quality" gap are no way close to being in sync any more. There are way too many decent/good sounding phones available for low cost.

Also, if it sounds good to you, that's what matters. Tekerugburn is right on that one as well. No reason to pay that much for good sound any more, really.

I agree. I get great pleasure out of some crazy inexpensive IEMs like the Meelectronics RX12 ($5) and the AT ck50 ($25) even though I own and enjoy the TF10 and the Miles Davis Tribute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back