How do older IEM'S compare to current?
Apr 27, 2024 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

sabjn

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone, I own a pair of IE 200 which I like (no mods, yes, people like me exist) but they started to bore me a little, I wanted to go for another more "spicy" or at least more promising iem to me than my current IE 200's, which I have found to be the Sony XBA-A3. I've already made a post saying "How do they compare against my ie 200's and won't I be disappointed by them?" but since noone replied I figured it might be a pretty tough question to answer, so I'm going to ask in a different form.

Will late 2014 $500 iem's be at least the same level or outperform 2023 $150 iem's? or should I just give up and keep my money :)

And how do IEM's or audio-gear age in general? I've heard about old gear being great, but not always, probably because of the competition or just losing because of the older hardware and technology used?

I mean, just on paper, the A3's are miles better at technical abilities having a huge 16mm dynamic driver along 2 BA drivers compared to one 7mm dynamic sennies driver, but does it really sound better on practice?

P.S. I've looked at countless frequency response curves, I'm okay with A3's response looking at how they "might sound"

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 9:48 PM Post #2 of 10
Ive had the IE600 and prefer the Moondrop Kato for the fun factor. Even the 7hz Zero:2 you'll probably like for $25. Prices are all over the map with IEMs. I've had the Blessing3 but they were too tame, and the Variations just weren't worth the money.
Technology has gotten better for the low priced models, but spending $500 is no guarantee you'll like them better.

Apr 28, 2024 at 6:32 AM Post #3 of 10
Ive had the IE600 and prefer the Moondrop Kato for the fun factor. Even the 7hz Zero:2 you'll probably like for $25. Prices are all over the map with IEMs. I've had the Blessing3 but they were too tame, and the Variations just weren't worth the money.
Technology has gotten better for the low priced models, but spending $500 is no guarantee you'll like them better.
Dang, I forgot to edit the post and clarify that the A3's are now available for $150-$200 :)

Still though, thanks for the reply. I'm not really into chi-fi though, I see people saying they're the best everywhere but there's just something about them I don't like.

I posted the same question on reddit and someone replied that he has the ie 600 and prefer it over Xba-a3, but my ie 200's are like the little brother of the ie 600 which is a end game iem so I'm wondering if it's worth it to get them... tough one

Apr 28, 2024 at 7:29 AM Post #4 of 10
Hey everyone, I own a pair of IE 200 which I like (no mods, yes, people like me exist) but they started to bore me a little, I wanted to go for another more "spicy" or at least more promising iem to me than my current IE 200's, which I have found to be the Sony XBA-A3. I've already made a post saying "How do they compare against my ie 200's and won't I be disappointed by them?" but since noone replied I figured it might be a pretty tough question to answer, so I'm going to ask in a different form.

Will late 2014 $500 iem's be at least the same level or outperform 2023 $150 iem's? or should I just give up and keep my money :)

And how do IEM's or audio-gear age in general? I've heard about old gear being great, but not always, probably because of the competition or just losing because of the older hardware and technology used?

I mean, just on paper, the A3's are miles better at technical abilities having a huge 16mm dynamic driver along 2 BA drivers compared to one 7mm dynamic sennies driver, but does it really sound better on practice?

P.S. I've looked at countless frequency response curves, I'm okay with A3's response looking at how they "might sound"

Like you say, sometimes they are still good, other times, no, not at all. I think it comes down to trends in tuning taste and technological innovation. Taste trends and the hype around them come and go. Sharp V's are generally not fashionable today, so those sets are obsolete...now.
Technological innovation obsoletes sets because of better components or manufacturing processes that enable different tunings at lower prices and higher resolution. This kind of innovation happens nowadays mostly in the Chi-Fi space (along with Indonesia and Singapore) you are apprehensive of. The reasons for this are many, enough for a PhD, but as a result, Western (including Sony) companies cannot compete in pace and prices, so they find other business models and markets or go out of business soon.

I haven't heard the XBA-A3s, but what I heard is almost universal praise for Sony's IER-M7, M9, Z1R sets (provided one likes the tuning) and the innovation that went into them, clearly outclassing Chi-Fi at the time of their release, which might mean that they are still competitive, especially at the reduced prices you mentioned. I'd advise you to prioritize tuning in your search of an upgrade, not tech, because it's likely you'll find that if vocals are buried (IE900), it doesn't matter that they are high-res. But tech is important too because in general, one would like to get the most value for one's money, and if you're not agnostic or more flexible regarding the origin of your next set, you might have a hard time finding one. But I don't want to change your mind because if you think Chi-Fi is not for you, then it isn't, end of story.

Apr 28, 2024 at 8:28 AM Post #5 of 10
I'm wondering the same thing lately. Over a decade ago I stopped my audio journey with a pair of the eventually one-off IEM run Phonak Audeo PFE from a popular hearing aid company. They where an incredible offering in 2011 for around 130€ performing above their price class for the time. I recently upgraded with some of the new chinese IEMs and compared the Phonak with Truthear Hexa, 7hz Timeless and Salnotes Zero 2. The Phonak are still good, but even the current $20 range match and surpass them except in design and comfort, but that also might be partly due to their age, they have been through a lot and have even survived a washing machine 🤷‍♂️.

I was interested in some older Unique Melody models, but can't find comparisons anywhere, seems I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and see for myself.

Apr 28, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #6 of 10
Like you say, sometimes they are still good, other times, no, not at all. I think it comes down to trends in tuning taste and technological innovation. Taste trends and the hype around them come and go. Sharp V's are generally not fashionable today, so those sets are obsolete...now.
Technological innovation obsoletes sets because of better components or manufacturing processes that enable different tunings at lower prices and higher resolution. This kind of innovation happens nowadays mostly in the Chi-Fi space (along with Indonesia and Singapore) you are apprehensive of. The reasons for this are many, enough for a PhD, but as a result, Western (including Sony) companies cannot compete in pace and prices, so they find other business models and markets or go out of business soon.

I haven't heard the XBA-A3s, but what I heard is almost universal praise for Sony's IER-M7, M9, Z1R sets (provided one likes the tuning) and the innovation that went into them, clearly outclassing Chi-Fi at the time of their release, which might mean that they are still competitive, especially at the reduced prices you mentioned. I'd advise you to prioritize tuning in your search of an upgrade, not tech, because it's likely you'll find that if vocals are buried (IE900), it doesn't matter that they are high-res. But tech is important too because in general, one would like to get the most value for one's money, and if you're not agnostic or more flexible regarding the origin of your next set, you might have a hard time finding one. But I don't want to change your mind because if you think Chi-Fi is not for you, then it isn't, end of story.
Hey, I have met up with a local seller and tried the A3's, I didn't buy them (185€ 😬) because both the cables we're faulty and worked only half-way through (the 3.5mm jack was totally scratched on both cables and they looked like a silver-y color more than "golden") outputing a bad sound. But when I did manage to listen to them in the right position as it should be they sounded pretty good. Of course different than my IE 200 but that's what I was going for. I liked the bass, I felt like it was pretty impactful and "full" but not too overwhelming, the vocals and midrange was kinda 50/50, female vocals sounded more bloated and muddy than my IE 200, not really the best choice for electronic "fast" or energic music. I really liked the A3's for classical music, they sounded pretty natural to me and that bass was a great addition to the overall somewhat supressed mids. Treble was a little on the more smooth side than spicy or piercing. I wouldn't I'm either disappointed nor really happy with the sound of the A3's, but somewhere deep in my heart I still really like them and I can't say why for sure :)

I have also tried the IMR R1 Acoustic which we're a very different story :D

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #7 of 10
I'm wondering the same thing lately. Over a decade ago I stopped my audio journey with a pair of the eventually one-off IEM run Phonak Audeo PFE from a popular hearing aid company. They where an incredible offering in 2011 for around 130€ performing above their price class for the time. I recently upgraded with some of the new chinese IEMs and compared the Phonak with Truthear Hexa, 7hz Timeless and Salnotes Zero 2. The Phonak are still good, but even the current $20 range match and surpass them except in design and comfort, but that also might be partly due to their age, they have been through a lot and have even survived a washing machine 🤷‍♂️.

I was interested in some older Unique Melody models, but can't find comparisons anywhere, seems I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and see for myself.
Hey, I have met up with a local seller and tried the A3's, I didn't buy them (185€ 😬) because both the cables we're faulty and worked only half-way through (the 3.5mm jack was totally scratched on both cables and they looked like a silver-y color more than "golden") outputing a bad sound. But when I did manage to listen to them in the right position as it should be they sounded pretty good. Of course different than my IE 200 but that's what I was going for. I liked the bass, I felt like it was pretty impactful and "full" but not too overwhelming, the vocals and midrange was kinda 50/50, female vocals sounded more bloated and muddy than my IE 200, not really the best choice for electronic "fast" or energic music. I really liked the A3's for classical music, they sounded pretty natural to me and that bass was a great addition to the overall somewhat supressed mids. Treble was a little on the more smooth side than spicy or piercing. I wouldn't I'm either disappointed nor really happy with the sound of the A3's, but somewhere deep in my heart I still really like them and I can't say why for sure :)

I have also tried the IMR R1 Acoustic which we're a very different story :D

Apr 28, 2024 at 6:49 PM Post #8 of 10
Something to consider even though this does not apply to iem's. Use this as a guide and not an answer.
Klipschorns are still being mfg. today. Design dates back about 80 years ago.
Certain vintage tube Marantz items bring crazy money on resale.
I just bought a new computer with a Celeron chip. I am told this chip is equal to an i5 7th generation. Plenty of power for my needs.
Latest is not necessarily the greatest!!!
Fell free to disagree.

Apr 28, 2024 at 7:07 PM Post #10 of 10
Just saw this video:

The world's best earphone... is 10 years old

Yes I saw that video too some time ago, today when I was listening to the XBA-A3 I could tell they sounded somewhat "old", but it doesn't mean they we're bad, like, at all! In fact thinking about how they sounded now I think these are a great choice for me, I wanted to go for something "different", and they just hit the spot. Almost opposite to my IE 200, and yet I love them, that warm, smooth, textured tonality is fascinating. I never thought bass could sound so good, my HD 560S and IE 200 are more of a details-head pairs, and I always thought bass is not my kind of passion, but damn the bass in these sony's is just something 😅

P.S. in terms of pure detail and sound quality - My IE 200 definitely win, but the A3 is just such a different approach to music I can't just shake them off now 😅

I would really want to buy them, but the cables are broken :frowning2:
Although the seller offered he could give me a XBA-Z5 cable for free that is prefectly fine so I'm probably going to end up with these beauties in my collection :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back