How do you know when you have reached TOTL?
May 1, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #16 of 44
When I attended a local head fi meet and spent the day listening to crazy expensive totL gear.
Then I came home and listened to my $2k all inclusive system.
And said to myself, what I'm hearing sounds better than anything I heard at the meet.
But tbh, it took 10 years of buying and selling gear to get there.

May 2, 2020 at 1:01 AM Post #17 of 44
I actually had a dream about the current gear that I have, it was about the Yulong A18, D18, and U18 (ok, just the Yulong A18 and D18, it was about a square box in similiar shape and form). I almost picked up some TEAC gear because their gear, at least at the time, was similar in shape and size as my dream, and I thought it would be my TOTL level gear. Two weeks later a posting shows up for the Yulong Stack and I quickly traded my Feliks Audio Elise for it (I'm sensitive to treble and apparently it was too bright for me, though it sounded amazing with the Modi Multibit). Honestly the set has kept me amazed with it's sonic qualities. I still remember when I first heard it and was blown away at how romantic and how it's stage was. It was "like sitting in at an ampitheatre in the back". You can probably find the post where I first posted about it. It has a "tubey quality" to it that kept me satisfied, as I read in post, though I didn't understand how tubey until I got the Euforia a few weeks ago.

Back on topic, I think the point I wanted to push was that it felt like it was destiny that I was able to hear this sound, a sound that I believe is TOTL. Overall I'm looking for that Grandness in sound, and in that gear, I know I can always come back to it and be satisfied. It's so romantic sounding with great extension and all the positives I could ascribe to it.

Anyways, the only reason I'm even going out to get new gear is to experiment with new sound and see what is out there, but I also plan to start a blog.

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 2:26 AM Post #18 of 44
It should be "How do you know when you've reached your End Game system?".

I'd say that you're satisfied every time you listen to music with it.

May 2, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #19 of 44
When I attended a local head fi meet and spent the day listening to crazy expensive totL gear.
Then I came home and listened to my $2k all inclusive system.
And said to myself, what I'm hearing sounds better than anything I heard at the meet.
But tbh, it took 10 years of buying and selling gear to get there.
Thats the dream, personal endgame!

May 2, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #20 of 44
There is no endgame.

You become a collector.

Just look at the vast amounts of thread I posted on the legends. Everyone in the back of their minds wants a piece of these! And once you own them all, you want more and more.

This discussion can lead into a philosophical question, materialistic to minimalist ideology.

99% of people here in this hobby are materialistic, stop kidding yourself if you say you are not ! :p

May 2, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #21 of 44
You have reached TOTL when you have stopped looking for new gear, because you know/think that to get better than what you have is not possible or very expansive and will cost more than you are ready to pay.

May 2, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #22 of 44
I'm just getting back into the hobby. When I was first in it, I felt very much at an end game state but I didn't feel comfortable having such expensive gear that I wasn't using often. I'm getting back in and buying up everything lol, but this is also due to being stuck in the house with covid-19 and I also want to figure out what is my new end game. I'll sell off quite a bit once I've determined that. I'm about 75% through that process. Once I'm done, I'll sell off what I don't need and the focus will mainly be on discovering new music.

I only have one major piece of advice. Thorough research and the ability to read between users' posts on here can GREATLY reduce FOMO. A lot of people have a somewhat ridiculous tie to their direct gear/brands (no offense, I know that's a part of the fun for some) and adds bias to their posts, recommendations, and critiques of product. This can also create FOMO as people at times act like you won't survive unless you upgrade or try something different lol. That plus individual listening preferences creates the need to really do thorough research to understand what might be for you. Everything I've bought over the past two months has sounded nearly, exactly as I thought it would and it's due to sifting through the above. (again, no offense at all to anyone.. just honest transparency)

Also, keep in mind this issue plagues just about every hobby. I see no problem with people wanting to treat it like a collector's hobby, especially when buying and selling makes it more affordable than it actually seems..

May 2, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #23 of 44
There is no such thing as TOTL, it is beyond subjective. There are $200 amps that output plenty of clean power. Clean and steady power is clean and steady power. Enough to drive the load is enough. If you like the sonic signature there are many, many amps that can get you where you need to be. People are sucked in by marketing hype about solid milled aluminum, inert cases, boutique capacitors and exotic internal wiring. Wonderful stuff when you have money to spare/waste, but really, if the power is adequate and clean, that is enough.
Great post. Amen.

May 2, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #24 of 44
It should be "How do you know when you've reached your End Game system?".

I'd say that you're satisfied every time you listen to music with it.

This ^^.

There is no TOTL (Top Of The Line) - because sooner or later someone always releases something more expensive with higher specs (regardless of the fact that you can't actually hear the minute differences). There is personal end-game though, and even that shouldn't stop you wanting to try the odd new tech. But as you journey, you'll find yourself less and less curious - because you'll realise the joy lies in the music and not the gear. When you find that - you know you've arrived.

And some of us do it on what others wouldn't call TOTL - but which we still view as definitely personal end-game.

May 2, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #25 of 44
To me, there will be never be an end game for this hobby as better tech/products will be launched in future which will likely surpass what is considered TOTL at present.

That said, end game will inevitably come when age catches up with each of us at some point and tinnitus/hearing loss starts to ruin the listening pleasure. So enjoy the music and the journey as much as possible while we still can. :)

Last edited:
May 3, 2020 at 4:32 AM Post #26 of 44
This ^^.

There is no TOTL (Top Of The Line) - because sooner or later someone always releases something more expensive with higher specs (regardless of the fact that you can't actually hear the minute differences). There is personal end-game though, and even that shouldn't stop you wanting to try the odd new tech. But as you journey, you'll find yourself less and less curious - because you'll realise the joy lies in the music and not the gear. When you find that - you know you've arrived.

And some of us do it on what others wouldn't call TOTL - but which we still view as definitely personal end-game.

There are of course TOTL (audio) products and we naturally mean now, and not in the future or forever.

TOTL means: The best that money can buy - Top-notch - Being or belonging to the highest or most expensive class.

May 3, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #28 of 44
You reached engame when you stop going on Head-Fi.

Does that also imply that if you have never visit Head-Fi you would have an endgame, whatever that is supposed to mean? :ksc75smile:

May 3, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #30 of 44
There are of course TOTL (audio) products and we naturally mean now, and not in the future or forever.

TOTL means: The best that money can buy - Top-notch - Being or belonging to the highest or most expensive class.

Yes there is TOTL today, but unlikely to still be TOTL a year or two from now. OP ask in thread "How do you know when you have reached TOTL?"

Pretty sure he means how do you know when you've reached your end game. Reaching TOTL does not make sense. Its always changing. But your personal end-game is more likely to be static. I know mine is :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back