How hard would it be to make this type of switchbox?
Feb 26, 2009 at 8:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

HiFi1972

100+ Head-Fier
Hosa 1/4" Audio Signal Selector Switch SLW-333 SLW-333

Can anyone please give me a rough estimate as to how complicated it would be to make something similar to that switchbox (Hosa SLW-333). It's about $100 and pretty much what I need as a source switcher for 3 headphones, but if I could build one myself for about that much, I'd rather take it on as a little DIY project!

Feb 26, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #4 of 14
I would use relays for the audio switching, but that means you need some power (just enough to send voltage from the selector switch to ONE of the relays).

that hosa box seems to be passive and that's 'ok' but eventually switches get noisy with use and time. sealed relays are faster (less noise on closure) and probably a better connection than a general purpose wafer rotary switch.

you would use the same kind of switch but just have that send voltage to one of the relays and have all your ins and outs go thru the relays, close to the panel where the jacks are mounted.

you can find 5v and 12v relays so find a wall wart that has that voltage.

hth

Feb 26, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #5 of 14
You could always pick up one of these from Radio Shack for $21.99. I used to use one before I got my preamp. There was no loss, distortion or other problems. Yeah, I know it's gospel that anything inexpensive/widely available must be garbage, but these are just fine. So is plenty of other stuff lacking in snob appeal.

Feb 26, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #6 of 14
Wasn't there a DIY site outlining how to make one step by step? Something like two inputs and several outputs? I swear i came across it through HF but can't remember what it was called. There were several projects, maybe even an amp?

Feb 26, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that hosa box seems to be passive and that's 'ok' but eventually switches get noisy with use and time. sealed relays are faster (less noise on closure) and probably a better connection than a general purpose wafer rotary switch.

you would use the same kind of switch but just have that send voltage to one of the relays and have all your ins and outs go thru the relays, close to the panel where the jacks are mounted.

you can find 5v and 12v relays so find a wall wart that has that voltage.

hth

The idea of adding power to me makes me think it will affect (degrade) the sound somehow, so a passive design is most important for me. I figure if I build this kind of thing and if the switch eventually gets noisy, I would be able to just replace it. I've only made cables, but have a soldering station and the usual tools (drills, wrenches, multimeter, etc.)

Also, what's a good book for a "left brain" type to learn more about electronics?

Feb 26, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #9 of 14
what I had in mind was just simple low voltage 5v dc that 'hits' one of 4 (say) relays. your selector switch would have 4 outputs and those would go to one end of each of the coils on the relays. the other end of all the relay coils would commonly connect to ground. at this point, you have a way to select '1 of n' via a rotary switch up front and a 'bunch of relays in back'.

that's the start.

then you need the audio side of things. this doesn't 'touch power' so no worries. you have a common input (from some analog source) and you want it to go to '1 of n' outputs. the way you do this is to have all the relays common 'pair' of switch contacts (the center part or 'wiper') all go to the input rca connector pair. the idea is that you send the input signal so the switches of all the relays and only the one that is energized will actually make contact with the output (its output) jack. all the rest are normally-open (N.O.) and so their NO contacts are left unconnected. their N.C. contacts are the ones that go to the local rca output jacks (or TRS) and again, the inputs of the relays all go together to form a 'bus' and the source rca pair would drive that bus.

no schematics - just an english explanation of what you could do
wink.gif

Feb 26, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #10 of 14
The Rat Shack option Uncle Erik suggested is a fine one, Monoprice surely has very affordable options as well.

If you want to DIY one though I can understand, this is certainly a very easy and low risk project to get your feet wet. Relays add complication which IMO I don't really think is all that necessary. A rotary DPST selector switch will do what you need. I would think you could do this for <$20 parts if you're not looking to put it in a fancy enclosure or looking to put some snazzy knob on it (although I know the temptations are hard to resist).

Feb 26, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #11 of 14
its true a regular old switch will work. but they do get noisy over the years.

if this isn't something meant to last a long time and cost and simplicity needs to be low, then sure - do the 'regular switches' route.

but its not much more to control a bank of relays in the back of the box and simplify the wiring inside as well as not needing as many poles ON the selector switch.

sealed relays are a few dollars each. a wall wart is $10, maybe. not a huge investment, really, and it does the job much better than 'regular old switches'
wink.gif

bonus: put the relays in relay sockets so you can even fix things 'down to the port level' if one of them fails later on. again, cost of sockets is really nothing when you are in the DIY mode and you are only building one of these boxes.

Feb 26, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #12 of 14
Found it!

Its mb3k.com ... except it seems to be offline at the moment for a new site. Seem to get some headwize links off google too so might be worth checking there as well.

Feb 26, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #13 of 14
For simplicity's sake, coupled with the fact that I don't think the OP may necessarily be ready to deal with working relays in to the design, just getting basic ideas down with a rotary selector will work fine. He can always build a nicer selector with relays later should he choose to.

Feb 26, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by csroc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think the OP may necessarily be ready to deal with working relays in to the design, just getting basic ideas down with a rotary selector will work fine. He can always build a nicer selector with relays later should he choose to.

Bingo! Thanks, and I really do appreciate what linuxworks said (I will have to come back to this post waaay later, after I'm more comfortable with electronics) but as I said earlier, all I've done so far is solder and assemble cables, so this will be a good first project! For the most part, you guys have given me some good tips to get started on, so thanks (I can already see how this DIY thing can be addictive!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back