How much are you prepared to pay for good sounding headphones?

Maximum $

• >$200

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • >$400

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • >$800

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • >$1500

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • $1500+

Votes: 27 43.5%

• Total voters
Mar 7, 2024 at 3:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

drummerman1

100+ Head-Fier
What is the maximum you are prepared to pay for a headphone only and what accessories and packaging would you expect?

Mar 7, 2024 at 4:32 AM Post #2 of 20
Leaving headphone quality aside ...

Personally, I would expect a headphone costing $400 or more to come with a hardcase and 2 different cable lengths. I think Meze/Drop spoiled us there and set a presedent. There are probably others

Add a balanced option and second set of pads for $800>

Add better made cables and a variety of pads $1500>

Packaging should be of sustainable origin but still reflect the different tiers, getting more elaborate as you move up. You eat with your eyes and probably listen too. Pride of ownership is important.

My 2 c's

Mar 7, 2024 at 7:03 AM Post #3 of 20
Took the plunge on a zmf verite closed earlier this year. Before that, the lcd2 were the most expensive cans I had. Now I'm saving up for an atrium closed. If my house burned down tomorrow, I'd probably still buy another verite closed. Just can't go back I guess.

Mar 7, 2024 at 9:00 AM Post #4 of 20
I have a few pairs whose MSRP is above $1,500. Some I bought new, some I bought used for less than that.

At a higher price point I expect excellent sound, excellent build quality, and a solid accessory package.

ZMF is probably top of the game there, coming with two sets of pads, two cables, and a nice travel case, plus of course the handmade beauty of each pair.

Audeze is good too with their excellent case, quality stock cable, and balanced to SE adapter they come with (at least in the case of my LCD-5).

My Fostex TH909 came with two very nice cables, balanced and unbalanced, and a stand, but no nice case.

DCA and Beeyerdynamic at least used to include a nice hard case, not sure if they do anymore.

Mar 7, 2024 at 10:09 AM Post #5 of 20
I voted up to $400 but I’d be be prepared to go to up to £500 (Scottish resident), when you have AKG 371 nailing sound quality for under £200 I can’t see the point of spending much more, perhaps for build quality/accessories but multi ££££ headphones are little more than Veblen goods.

Mar 7, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #6 of 20
I guess the answer to this question really depends on one's view towards their use of money. On the one hand spending $1500+ seems to be a large sum of money when majority of the world thinks $500 Airpods Max are already top of the line, but on the other hand if this is your hobby spending $1500+ is nothing compare to watches and cars...

For me, I did vote for the $1500+ option, as I do have a few that is in that range, but if I can only keep one pair and need to sold everything else it would probably be my K702 65th Anniversary that would stay. Nonetheless, nothing beats having a collection, and I'm glad I'm one of those that can appreciate what the extra cost that ultra high end headphones offers.

Mar 7, 2024 at 10:18 AM Post #7 of 20
I voted the $400 mark, and that's about right for me. I'd rathre have three $400 headphones than one $1,200 headphone. My experience is that you're chasing a tiny amount of detail and I just don't need it - I'm happier to have more different kinds of headphones for different listening. I also tend to wear and use my headphones so they don't stay pristine, and I don't resell them.

I do own a couple of more expensive cans, but they're special. The K1K's come to mind.

I know people love cases, but I never know what to do with them and don't use them. All I'd expect is a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter, or the other way around. The rest is just stuff I feel like I have to keep.
e

Mar 7, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #8 of 20
What is the maximum you are prepared to pay for a headphone only and what accessories and packaging would you expect?
Depends.

A headphone that translates to sounding like Im in the recording studio or at the live acoustic performance then I would pay thousands.

A headphone that sounds not wholly “better” but mostly just different from a Grado 325x, then some hundreds max.

No headphone can do it all afaik. Some are better at some things than others. A $2500 ZMF may be worse in some ways than a $25 Porta Pro.

I agree with @Lou Erickson about multi headphones for different niches of sound and use case.

Packaging and accessories would I expect? A headband and cable. I like packaging of reasonable size and ease that I can use for storage.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #10 of 20
Go big go once, 1500 is cheap

Mar 7, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #11 of 20
bought a used pair of Phi for an incredible price. if those somehow broke or were lost i'd cry as i pulled the 4k out of my wallet and shelled out for another abyss if i couldn't find another used one.

I thought I knew what good headphones were; i own several ZMFs, a couple Sennys, an LCD-2C (Fazor), OG Clear, DT770, etc. I jumped into the hobby and i know what i like.

diana from abyss was pretty much a 'yea in your dreams' headphone. i just happened upon a listing on HeadFi at the right time from a really good person offering a crazy price and lucked out big time.

i never considered selling my collection before but frankly i never want to listen to another pair than the Phi so - what's the point in keeping the others?

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 11:47 PM Post #14 of 20
It's all about how a phone translates to my preference. I have under 200 phone that I equally adore as my 2000 phone. I do cap myself at no more than 2k.
There are absolutely some headphones that punch way above their weight. The HD6XX for $200 has been one of the best values in headphones since it was released, and it’s one that can just keep getting better as you improve your chain.

Mar 7, 2024 at 11:49 PM Post #15 of 20
There are a solid handful of headphones I'd love to own in the $1500-$2500 range, but I also know myself well enough to know that if I had the money, I'd chicken out. Ultimately, I know I'd rather have two very good pairs instead of one stellar set. I jump around between my headphones often and get bored quickly enough that I just can't justify shelling out more than $800-$1000. Used market, closeouts, and open box sales are my go-tos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back