How powerful a vintage Marantz for K-1000?
Jun 26, 2007 at 3:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Lou Erickson

100+ Head-Fier
I'm putting together a system for the living room, and need enough inputs and outputs and things. A phono stage and tuner are also on the wanted list.

A nice, vintage reciever/tuner should do all of this. Since I can't talk my Dad in to parting with his mid-70's Fisher, I'll have to buy my own.
smily_headphones1.gif
Looking about, and listening where I can, I'm leaning towards Marantz. I admit, I also like the wood cases and blue lights. So very stylish.

Someday, I'd also like to have a pair of K-1000's. (After a turntable.) Do I understand right that they can be used off of a really hot headphone jack, or off of speaker outputs?

The Marantz units have a nice pair of second outputs that my mind immediately saw and went, "K-1000!" (My more practical housemates saw them and said, "Kitchen speakers!" but that's a different argument.)

If I were to get one of the Marantz units, how much power should I be looking for to drive the K-1000's well? Can they do it at all? Would one of the more common 2220, 2230 or 2235is units be enough, or sohuld I be on the lookout for the bigger 2275?

I read somewhere on this very forum that K-1000's want 50 watts, and that would be one of the bigger Marantz recievers.

Anyone done this? Any feedback?

I did use search, and a couple of people reported successes, but I'm more curious about how beefy a unit I should be on the lookout for?

Anyone have any input? Please?

Jun 26, 2007 at 1:45 PM Post #2 of 2
I would stay away from the 2275 as a headphone amp.

The 2230 is a good sounding unit along with it's similar integrated amp the Marantz 1060.

Make sure you replace those steel preamp jumpers with decent interconnects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back