Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 1, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #3,796 of 18,570
DD7A38FB-DFD7-4D06-85FA-BF823C086252.jpeg

part 2:

MBP Roon > HMS+H2 > naim Uniti Nova > KEF R7

have this setup powered from Audioquest Niagara + Thunder mains

Chromecast to TV to get album artwork from Roon

Dec 1, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #3,797 of 18,570
i have no desire to listen to Utopia. someone buy it from me. E2 is my #1. absolutely amazing in this set up right now.

Could you expand on the ETHER 2 impressions with this setup? Resolution, speed, tonality? Sorry for pushing but I have the ETHER Flow (open and closed) and am very interested in the ETHER 2, and may sell the open Flow.

Thanks!

Dec 2, 2018 at 5:43 AM Post #3,798 of 18,570
There are three basic issues:

1. The source is creating and causing the drop-outs - this happened with an iOS update, and removing the M scaler revealed that it was happening with Dave direct, so nothing to do with the M scaler.

2. Dave has a DDATA detector that requires sync on both data lines, which makes it sensitive and so Dave jumps out of DDATA mode and into single data mode, which forces a mute. All my other DACs post Dave rely on the DDATA mode flag, so they don't do this. The display flashes when this happens. Normally, using BNC 3 and 4 will fix this issue (using the supplied cables). Making sure the cables are attached securely is essential, and check the centre pin for dirt and being bent.

3. SPDIF going out of lock momentarily. This is normally due to poor RF quality cables, so this should never happen with the supplied cables.

If a problem occurs, and using the supplied cables, and its not down to the source, and swapping the BNC inputs doesn't help, then your Dave will need to go back to Chord for a service. Chord have had very few units needing this. Unfortunately the nature of the internet is such that only people having dropouts will report an issue; the vast majority just work fine.
One last request: Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced 2 meter BNC cable that is more robust than the supplied cables for the HUGO MSCALER to reduce any risk of drop-outs due to cable only issues?

Thanks

Dec 2, 2018 at 5:52 AM Post #3,799 of 18,570
Last edited:
Dec 2, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #3,800 of 18,570
One last request: Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced 2 meter BNC cable that is more robust than the supplied cables for the HUGO MSCALER to reduce any risk of drop-outs due to cable only issues?

Thanks
https://uk-rs--online-com.cdn.amppr...uk.rs-online.com/web/p/coaxial-cable/2843821/
I ordered these as the supplied were so bad i could not get a decent connection.
These ones i ordered were only going to be temporary to get me up and going as i do have some being made but i have had a very good results with these cables you can wobble these cables at BNC connections with no loss of sound, i may just keep these and cancel the ones being made.

Dec 2, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #3,802 of 18,570
Those are identical to mine marc. sorry not quite but both are amphenol. nearly identical.
095-850-187M100

095-850-188M050

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #3,804 of 18,570
Does it improve transient response?

Dec 2, 2018 at 8:18 AM Post #3,806 of 18,570
Are you recommending we spray it directly onto the dac connectors?

Dec 2, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #3,809 of 18,570
Ok so I've gotten my MScaler hooked up this morning and I've only been listening to it for about 2 hours but I already have some very early impressions and something interesting is going on that leads me to believe not everything is working as it should and some things are. I am going from PC usb>MScaler>Schiit Gumpy single BNC until I get my TT2.

I thought things were sounding good but listening for the first time of the day I didn't know if the MScaler was helping as I didn't compare it to anything yet. I have to second what Amberlamps has been saying that the sample rate selector doesn't do a damn thing and every single setting from pass through to maximum is identical and I have very good ears and payed close attention cycling through each one over and over. HOWEVER, I took the MScaler out of the equation and just went back to the dac and noticed things might have went down in quality but I wasn't exactly sure so I listened for a while until I decided to add the MScaler back in. This time I can say the MScaler is doing something good after taking it in, out, and back in my system. My very early impressions are much improved separation, more smoother, each part of the music is more detailed. So my question is WHY does the sample rate selector do absolutely nothing from pass through to each other stage up the chain? I can imagine this driving people nuts who think the MScaler is not doing anything for their system.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #3,810 of 18,570
Ok so I've gotten my MScaler hooked up this morning and I've only been listening to it for about 2 hours but I already have some very early impressions and something interesting is going on that leads me to believe not everything is working as it should and some things are. I am going from PC usb>MScaler>Schiit Gumpy single BNC until I get my TT2.

I thought things were sounding good but listening for the first time of the day I didn't know if the MScaler was helping as I didn't compare it to anything yet. I have to second what Amberlamps has been saying that the sample rate selector doesn't do a damn thing and every single setting from pass through to maximum is identical and I have very good ears and payed close attention cycling through each one over and over. HOWEVER, I took the MScaler out of the equation and just went back to the dac and noticed things might have went down in quality but I wasn't exactly sure so I listened for a while until I decided to add the MScaler back in. This time I can say the MScaler is doing something good after taking it in, out, and back in my system. My very early impressions are much improved separation, more smoother, each part of the music is more detailed. So my question is WHY does the sample rate selector do absolutely nothing from pass through to each other stage up the chain? I can imagine this driving people nuts who think the MScaler is not doing anything for their system.

from my experience so far, i think it depends on the recording...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back