I got mugged at the Portland HeadRoom tour...
Jul 18, 2002 at 2:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

kwkarth

Electronics guys... we have our plusses and minuses. With advent of digital everything, we're being phased out
Well, it happened...

There I was, minding my own business, hanging out at the Marriot by Jantzen Beach and I got mugged by this guy and his accomplice from Bozeman Montanna.

The mug says "HeadRoom" on it.

It was a great opportunity to meet lots of folks, not the least of whom were Todd Sr. and Todd Jr. of HeadRoom fame.

There was a good turn out of folks and more than a few who came because they saw the add in Stereophile.

Talk about opportunities...
Where else except in Bozeman MT itself, would you get the opportunity to listen to so many headphones and headamps? It was awesome!

Unfortunately, the Blockhead sounded better than my Max, which means of course that the Max is not the Max, the Blockhead is.
biggrin.gif

I really wasn't sure how anything could sound better than the Max until I heard the Blockhead. More open, better depth, better foundation, very impressive. Another standout of the show for me was the Wheatfield HA-2 with the upgraded tubes. Man! what a sweet sound! Detailed, solid, nice imaging.

The K-1000s driven by the V-20 were the best I've ever heard the K-1000s sound. Wow, what an amp!!

The big "O" sure looked beautiful, but sonically, with the material we listened to, during that short time, I felt it was bested in a number of ways by the Max, Blockhead, and HA-2, all driving HD-600s with upgraded cables. The Holmes - Powell was a sonic letdown and the Omega was ok, but overall I still preferred my three aformentioned favorites.

I had my first opportunity to listen to the Clou and Equinox replacement cables for the HD-600. Turns out, all the replacement cables sound like a sonic improvement to me over the stock cable. Overall, I still think I like the sonics of the Cardas the best as it seemd to improve the midrange the most to my ears and the upper mids are where the stock 600s were most deficient. The Equinox cable is the best looking to my eyes and the Cardas the best sounding to my ears.

Being the inveterate tinkerer and engineer type, the packaging of the whole tour itself fascinated me. Very cool the way all the display cases went together and into the trailer.

Back to the mugging... Being the coffee connisuer that I am, I was really most interested in the mug after all. The HeadRoom mug absolutely seems to have improved the depth of my coffee drinking experience. It is in fact 0.2" deeper than my stock coffee mug. This increased depth adds measurably to my morning coffee drinking enjoyment and for this I am thankful.

Thanks Todd Sr., thanks Todd Jr., thanks Tyll, thanks to all the folks back in Bozeman for taking the time, effort, and expense to make this tour possible, it was worth it!!

Cheers and happy listening!
smily_headphones1.gif

Kevin

Jul 18, 2002 at 4:46 PM Post #2 of 14
I feel your pain, kwkarth. I got mugged twice at that meet, by two guys with the same name.
frown.gif

I was very pleased with this meet. I ws able to do a lot more critical listening this time around than I was able to last time, and I learned a lot more. I also met a lot of cool people! I really enjoyed the blockhead with the cardas-equipped HD600s: those cables and that amp make the HD600 sound better than perhaps any amplifier in the world (it wouldn't be a suprise, would it?). Yet the Wheatfield HA-2 also did an incredible job, sometimes equalling the performance of the blockhead to my ears! I'm astounded that such a (relatively) cheap amplifier can sound so good. That was the one with the upgraded tubes, by the way.

The Orpheus was of course very good, however it did not impress me in the same way the HA-2 and the blockhead did. It sounded great, but lacked dynamics and was very laid back. It had an extremely gentle sound. This works with some music but certainly not all of it, and I think that generally I would prefer the blockhead or the HA-2 to the Big O.

I listened to the ER6s for a while and was quite pleased with their sound. they also struck me as being more comfortable than the ER4Ss, but still not as comfortable as my EX70s. Without a doubt a good buy for portable listening!

I found it very difficult to discern the differences between the equinox and the cardas HD600 cables at the meet. They sounded extremely similar, though I think the cardas filled the upper midrange gap a bit better than the equinox did (but at the same time the equinox might sound better, I don't want to rule it out. I'd need to do some more critical listening). The equinox was certainly the better looking of the two, however in all honestly I don't find the cardas to be an ugly cable. I just think the equinox looks a whole lot sweeter.
smily_headphones1.gif
I preferred both the cardas and the equinox to either clou cable, by the way.

That's probably all I really have to say this time around...

Jul 18, 2002 at 5:46 PM Post #3 of 14
kwkarth
HI: I would sugest that next time you go to one of those shows to bring a couble of body guards with you then you might not get muged. Or maby possible that all of you will get muged.LOL
PS
I know that you can afford some body guards because I saw your house WOW in pic. that you posted pretending to show some cans but who looked at the cans. I looked at that piano and high celling and high windows. It must be nice to live well but I bet you earned it so you deserve it but very nice home.

Jul 18, 2002 at 5:51 PM Post #4 of 14
Lol...wanna sell me your max after you upgrade kwkarth?

Also...did you guys try any under 400$ amps? Which was the best?

Jul 18, 2002 at 6:01 PM Post #5 of 14
forget it tim, if he upgrades I'm first in line!
wink.gif

by the way, I did listen to some sub-$400 amps and I liked the Little a lot. I wasn't able to A/B it with the creek OBH-11SE but I have a feeling the Little is better (and the Little also has crossfeed and all that cool stuff). I should have listened to the ASL MG head OTL too, but unfortunately I missed it.

ltucci, which pictures were these? I've been to his house and it's not like that...

Jul 19, 2002 at 5:07 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
So, kwarth, when's that 3K making its way to headroom?
wink.gif

Maybe when the house and the two cars are paid off, or when the stock market goes up...whichever comes first!
wink.gif

Jul 19, 2002 at 1:31 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by MooGoesTheCow

...and the cops...

i know all about the "business on the side"
wink.gif

what business would that be??

Jul 19, 2002 at 2:11 PM Post #12 of 14
kwkarth
This is the FBI. About the side business. Are you paying taxes on it and how legal is it? WOW nothing like a friend to rat on you LOL.

Jul 19, 2002 at 2:28 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Old Pa
Kevin: Just how much does the Blockhead/HD600/Cardas combo cost expressed in monthly Social Security checks? Could you get into that combo faster if you gave up coffee? Sold the grandkids?
biggrin.gif

Hmmm... Now there's an idea!!!
wink.gif
Not the coffee one...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back