I have enjoyed, and hated some of these. Now what?
Apr 22, 2024 at 8:59 AM Post #19 of 20
That Hifiman Sundara is great...did you look at Classifieds?
I saw Denon AH-D5200 near yours $250

I am a fan of Sennheiser headphones...
I love mine HD56S open back, I don't have their closed back in that range.
It's worth checking reviews HD569...

Good luck!

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 7:02 PM Post #20 of 20
So I had to get a pair in a hurry and bought a pair of Sennheiser HD25. These are, as you all know, Not over-ear or around-ear phones as I had wished for in the OP. They are however reasonably priced and well renowned as monitor phones for field recording. They are not renowned for comfort though as I've read many reviews stating that they can be like clamp-torture on your head. I must be lucky in this regard because they sit very comfortable over my head and on my ears even after hours of wearing them. In the beginning I had to be careful to place them just right on my ears, especially on my left ear, but now I just snap them on and they sit perfect from the get go. When I got these I was dreading the step into what I expected these to be; flat, correct sounding and stabbing my ears with more high mids and trebble than I really can stand. The HD25 came with a very pleasant surprise in this regard as well. They sound amazing! Detailed, high resolution yet warm. They deliver all the low end I had wished for. I was expecting something in the realm of the Sony 7506, which I kind of hated when I tried them, but the Sennheiser HD 25 is something entirely different to my ears. They've had me listening to my all-time-favourite playlist on repeat, reliving the same old songs I've heard a million times but these the old songs come alive again. Damn! I really only bought these as a temporary pair of cans strictly for monitoring field recordings but I can live with these as my go to for casual listening for a long while before I need to buy something else. I probably will get something else eventually because even if these are great they are not as comfy as a pair of over ear phones. I can go with these for years while looking though. From reading the OP I can understand why these were not recommended to me by anyone. But this is where I landed and happily so. Now you go try them if you don't already have them. They are worth a listen.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back