I love minidisc - is that weird?
Jan 9, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #228 of 243
I still have many MD players and recorders.  They are not being used obviously but at one point in time (7-8 years back), MD was my go-to device for portable listening.  In fact, I would have not able to graduate college unless I have them as it relaxed me while studying for tests.  I switched to iRiver IHP-140 due to convenience but not for sound quality.  Thanks to Sony NW-X1060, I was able to officially retired my MD collections as it was nearly as good sound wise while offering more convenience factors.  Now I have the NW-ZX2 and NW-1Z so it will hard to go back to MD even based on sound quality on.

Jan 11, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #230 of 243
Just pulled my discs out of storage. Apparently I have 80 sealed blanks.

You have a treasure, sir! 
I have some 100 recorded disks and just 5 or 6 sealed blanks... 

Still use my MDs to record from vinyl LPs when the record is too valuable to handle on a daily basis... 

Feb 1, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #231 of 243
Willing to sell those sealed blanks?

Mar 5, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #233 of 243
I assume optical gives you WAV. Which is better quality. or if you want to convert to some other format in the future. If all you want is 320 then its more convenient to go straight to 320. I wonder is sonic stage good enough mp3 encoder these days. 

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #235 of 243
Is it better to record via optical cable onto a minidisc or burn straight with sonic stage with 320kbps MP3?

Recording trough optical will let you to record in SP (best quality possible) but if you record trough Sonicstage you will record only in LP2 (becouse the SP Recording in Sonicstage is a false SP recording, is a real LP2 recording converted then to SP). If possible, always optical from a CD player (not from MP3).

Mar 7, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #237 of 243
Hello,
I remember back in 97 or 98, I was excited to get my Sony MD portable player. I started to record songs from the radio and borrowing CDs from friends and my own CD collection to record them on blank minidiscs. It was amazing how it was a small little disc inside a protected case all in one and how it could be RW! After, I invested in a home MD Player! Than I started to make artwork for blank cases where at the time a special brand would sell the blank minidisc with a different opening case. Every few days I remember, i was going to the corner store copy machine and minitureized the CD artwork so it would fit in my minidisc case. It was like a new hobby, I was in a geek minidisc mode for a few years. My collection started to grow... more than 250!
After, i moved abroad for 17 years and MP3 started. At first MP3 was fun, downloading on whatever software for free, than iPods, iPhone, smart devices and all! Well today, it feels that we really killed the music industry. I think back than we had the best artists and who eventually already died... What! Right? Michael Jackson, Whitney, 2 PAC, George Michael, Prince!(awesome artists) But we still have some great ones!
Minidiscs was a great new listening device, at least that made me discover music cuz it was better than tapes and better than big portable CD players. MD was the sh**!
Anyways, I came back not too long ago to my home town and I discovered all my MD collection and I almost cried. I think when you have the actual hard copy in your hand with the artwork, just like LPs it's just priceless and you enjoy more the album listening one song at a time.
One thing I didn't know is that we can put MP3s on a minidisc, not that I want to go there and try but ... It might have been cool to have minidisc video... just a thought:wink:
So back to my collection, and since I'm back in MD world I think I'm going to go back at it and woodworking is my other hobby! Building a little wooden tower would be ideal! I really wanted to share some of a few artwork cases pix and I'll be back with some more ideas! Keep the MD alive!

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #238 of 243
Thank You my friend. Optical it shall be. I have a few 90s eurodance discs that I would like to get is he best of.

I know it kinda late to go back to minidisc but I just love the form factor and loading cassettes back and forth.
Recording trough optical will let you to record in SP (best quality possible) but if you record trough Sonicstage you will record only in LP2 (becouse the SP Recording in Sonicstage is a false SP recording, is a real LP2 recording converted then to SP). If possible, always optical from a CD player (not from MP3).

Mar 9, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #239 of 243
Does anyone use a portable minidisc recorder as a DAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back