I need help choosing an amp!
Jun 17, 2023 at 8:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Grom

New Head-Fier
Hello, my name is Struan and I’ve been looking into getting into high quality audio. I’ve done quite a bit of research on what to get (mostly just debating whether to get the DT770s or the DT990s) but I’m still undecided on what amp to get. Here’s the rundown:

What I’m Going To Get:
  • DT 990s (likely 80ohm, although I may get the 250ohm depending on what amp I get. Again, subject to change if I’m swayed by the DT770s)
  • The Audio technica AT-LP60XBT. I chose this record player as I heard it was a good starter record player, and I wanted one which wouldn’t damage my records
The Dilemma:

I understand to properly run 80 or 250 (whichever one I get) ohm headphones I need an amp to really get the most out of them.
There was a couple of options I’ve been looking at, including:

• The FiiO E10K
  • The Schiit Fulla
  • The Schiit Magni+
I was just wondering which one of these would be best to get with my headphones? Or maybe none of them at all, maybe there is a better option? I’m under the impression they can all handle 250ohm headphones nonetheless. I was just confused as to which would be best suited for my needs.

Thank you for reading my post, I would be incredibly grateful for any help yous could give me!

Jun 17, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #2 of 19
Last edited:
Jun 17, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #3 of 19
The Topping a30 Pro is Double the price of those mentioned, but will power 600 ohms to almost half-a-watt, even on with a single-ended connection:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Topping-Headphone-Amplifier-Balanced-Earphone/dp/B093PZFHWS/

Also if you get this amp, then you should consider the DT880 600 ohm as a great all-rounder for all genres:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyerdynamic-DT-880-600-OHM/dp/B07H4ZNRK1/
Would 600 ohms be a bit excessive?? I’m not sure how much difference there is between 250 ohm headphones and 600 ohm headphones quality wise. I’ll definitely consider the DT880s, I mostly listen to classic rock so are they good for that genre?

Jun 17, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #4 of 19
If they still have European versions available, look into the Nitsch x Schiit Piety. It has a warm sound that will help tame the infamous Beyer treble.
The Piety is a limited run amp made by a single person, so if it's out of stock you may want to drop them an email and see if more are on the way or not.

I have both it and a Magni and the Piety is def worth the extra few dollars/quid/pounds. I'd stick to the 250 ohm version of the Beyer for any amp at this price point.

Also regarding the DT770/880/990 and classic rock, the DT series doesnt have the greatest midrange, which is where guitars and vocals live. The DT770 has strong bass and lots of treble and is a closed back. The DT990 is similar but open back, and finally the 880 is quiet neutral with very little bass slam.
I listen to a lot of rock and I do not find the DT series to be very good for rock.

I'd suggest looking into the Sennheiser HD650, a Grado or Alessandro headphone or maybe the Meze 99 classics.

The HD650/6xx is the safest bet and will scale with better gear. Nice mids and a little extra helping of midbass slam. A bit more relaxed sounding

The Grados have excellent forward mids and is very good for rock music, with nice aggresive attack but they are on-ear as opposed to over ear, so comfort might be an issue and there are some upper midrange spikes that you may or may not like.

Meze 99 Classics are a fun sounding headphone with huge midbass slam, which at times can step on the mids some.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #5 of 19
I did not use them with those specific headphones, but when I had a Fulla it could easily power my 150 ohm Sennheiser 58x, I think they should handle the 250 ohm Beyers fine. My Magni 3+ easily handles 6xx at 300ohms with no trouble.

Both setups sounded good to me, I didn't really notice a major difference in either one.

Jun 17, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #6 of 19
If you want just a little more treble sparkle from your music, then get the 250 ohm version of the DT880. Otherwise, the DT880 600 ohm version will be a better all-rounder with the A30 Pro.

Jun 18, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #7 of 19
Hello, my name is Struan and I’ve been looking into getting into high quality audio. I’ve done quite a bit of research on what to get (mostly just debating whether to get the DT770s or the DT990s) but I’m still undecided on what amp to get. Here’s the rundown:

What I’m Going To Get:
  • DT 990s (likely 80ohm, although I may get the 250ohm depending on what amp I get. Again, subject to change if I’m swayed by the DT770s)
  • The Audio technica AT-LP60XBT. I chose this record player as I heard it was a good starter record player, and I wanted one which wouldn’t damage my records
The Dilemma:

I understand to properly run 80 or 250 (whichever one I get) ohm headphones I need an amp to really get the most out of them.
There was a couple of options I’ve been looking at, including:

• The FiiO E10K
  • The Schiit Fulla
  • The Schiit Magni+
I was just wondering which one of these would be best to get with my headphones? Or maybe none of them at all, maybe there is a better option? I’m under the impression they can all handle 250ohm headphones nonetheless. I was just confused as to which would be best suited for my needs.

Thank you for reading my post, I would be incredibly grateful for any help yous could give me!
the Schiit Fulla and the Fiio E10K are both, DAC/Amps, and i don't think have analog inputs to bipass the dac, whereas the Magni+ is only an amp - it won't have digital inputs, so it depends on if you want digital or analog in

if you want Digital in, then go the E10k for sure, for one thing, the Fulla is tuned for gaming, so it won't sound very neutral, for another, the E10k has digital and Line out, aswell as a headphone output. this means that it can be used as a Hifi DAC, or a USB to coaxial converter, should you need these features for future application.

the Schiit Magni+ is a good amp for an analog source, but there are more options out there.

Jun 21, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #8 of 19
Some you can't go wrong with for the price from best down.
Topping L30ii
JDS Atom + version
Schiit Magni Heresy
SMSL SP200 ($140 at Apos)
Drop THX One

They're all good, available, just depends on pricing in your area. The 250 ohm Beyerdynamic do take a push to drive if you equalize and have pre-volume war recordings.

Jun 21, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #9 of 19
If they still have European versions available, look into the Nitsch x Schiit Piety. It has a warm sound that will help tame the infamous Beyer treble.
The Piety is a limited run amp made by a single person, so if it's out of stock you may want to drop them an email and see if more are on the way or not.

I have both it and a Magni and the Piety is def worth the extra few dollars/quid/pounds. I'd stick to the 250 ohm version of the Beyer for any amp at this price point.

Also regarding the DT770/880/990 and classic rock, the DT series doesnt have the greatest midrange, which is where guitars and vocals live. The DT770 has strong bass and lots of treble and is a closed back. The DT990 is similar but open back, and finally the 880 is quiet neutral with very little bass slam.
I listen to a lot of rock and I do not find the DT series to be very good for rock.

I'd suggest looking into the Sennheiser HD650, a Grado or Alessandro headphone or maybe the Meze 99 classics.

The HD650/6xx is the safest bet and will scale with better gear. Nice mids and a little extra helping of midbass slam. A bit more relaxed sounding

The Grados have excellent forward mids and is very good for rock music, with nice aggresive attack but they are on-ear as opposed to over ear, so comfort might be an issue and there are some upper midrange spikes that you may or may not like.

Meze 99 Classics are a fun sounding headphone with huge midbass slam, which at times can step on the mids some.
After your comment I’ve decided to get the sennheiser Hd650s instead, but what sort of amp would they be good with? I’m also not sure if the type of amp has an effect on the record player

Jun 21, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #10 of 19
After your comment I’ve decided to get the sennheiser Hd650s instead, but what sort of amp would they be good with? I’m also not sure if the type of amp has an effect on the record player
IMO, and some will disagree, while others will wholeheartedly agree, all high impedance headphones like the HD6xx/HD650 sound their best out of a good OTL amp.
If you have DIY skills build yourself a Bottlehead Crack. If not go to Etsy and buy a pre-built one. Thank me later. :)

Jun 21, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #11 of 19
IMO, and some will disagree, while others will wholeheartedly agree, all high impedance headphones like the HD6xx/HD650 sound their best out of a good OTL amp.
If you have DIY skills build yourself a Bottlehead Crack. If not go to Etsy and buy a pre-built one** Thank me later. :)
** James C at HeadAmp Builder (an Etsy purveyor) does exquisite work!

Jun 21, 2023 at 10:20 PM Post #12 of 19
If you have DIY skills build yourself a Bottlehead Crack. If not go to Etsy and buy a pre-built one. Thank me later. :)
Another lover of the 6xx and OTL amp here. Mine is on a Xduoo TA-26, wonderful combination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back