I own a Magni and Modi Schiit stack, Tube/DAC recommendation for HD8XX?
Jan 21, 2023 at 10:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

moco64

New Head-Fier
In 2020, I bought a HD6XX and a Schiit Modi/Magni Stack to power them, at the time about 200$ for both.

A while later I purchased an HD8XX on sale, I'm thinking my old stack might be too underpowered and I have some time to save up for a decent tube amp to power them, and I've heard that tubes are best to power a headset like these.

Are HD8XXs considered high end cans?

If so what would be best to drive them?

Should I upgrade my DAC as well? any recommendations for that?

Jan 21, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #2 of 5
Are HD8XXs considered high end cans?
Yes. Theyve been around for ages, but still highly regarded. There is better out these days, but the HD800 is still quite good as long as you're not into bass.
Should I upgrade my DAC as well? any recommendations for that?
Budget?
I bought a HD6XX
both the HD800/8xx and HD6xx are high impedance headphones and both would benefit from a nice tube amp.
This thread pertains to ZMF headphones, which are also high impedance headphones. Most, if not all amps in this thread will work great with your headphones as well.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-un-official-amp-thread-for-zmf-headphones.965309/

Jan 22, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #3 of 5
In that ZMF thread, does the 'get what you pay for' rule apply? Let's say I had around a 400$ budget, what should I look at?

thanks, does anyone else have any other recommendations?

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #4 of 5
Let's say I had around a 400$ budget, what should I look at?
Unfortunately when considering a tube amp, one must factor in the cost of the actual tubes as well, which can be quite pricey. Most tube amps come with tubes to get you started, but most often they do not sound very good and should be replaced ASAP.

For 400.00, I'd be looking at Bottlehead Crack if you have some basic soldering skills, otherwise a Darkvoice 336 is your next best option.

I would be looking long and hard at the classified section for a 2nd hand amp as you can save serious cash that way.
In that ZMF thread, does the 'get what you pay for' rule apply?
It not only applies in that thread, but across the entire hobby as well. However just because you buy the most expensive you can afford doesn't necessarily mean that the system synergy will align. Synergy within your system is the most important thing IMHO and the only way to find out is to try it.

For example your HD8xx sounds quite different than your 6xx. Tubes that sound spectacular one of those headphones won't necessarily sound great on the other, and vice/versa. Perhaps you get a R2R DAC that warms up your 8xx quite nicely, but makes your 6xx sound like a heavy wet blanket. I could go on and on, but you get the idea.

Finally you need to understand that the law of diminishing returns is quite strong in this hobby. A 500.00 headphone might get you to about 80-90% of what a 3000.00 headphone gets you. Whether that extra cash is worth an extra 10-15% is entirely up to who you ask.

Jan 22, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #5 of 5
My two cents.
Can't really see a good reason for replacing the Modi (DAC), at least for now.
Mass (Massdrop) has the Darkvoice OTL tube headphone amplifier for $260.
eBay has some used Schiit Valhalla tube amps.
If your into soldering, Bottlehead crack (w/speedball) tube amp.

The 300-Ohm Sennheiser HD600/HD650/HD6XX seem to like tube amps (per talk on Head-Fi).
HD8XX is also 300-Ohm, so maybe a tube amp will make them more "fun" sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back