I will not pay $1k for phantom improvements
Dec 7, 2022 at 1:27 AM Post #2 of 14
Hi earmonger,

I’ve had similar thoughts about this, and have thought about this for some time, as our hearing and senses will not be the same in picking out the slightest details and nuances in sounds like our younger selves did when we age more and get older over time.

As for new releases and ‘upgrades’ in technology, changes come and go making one new release after the other obsolete. I feel this ongoing pattern reaches a point where the latest ‘top of the line’ tech of its time are just little differences in presenting sound and feel with a different take/approach to musicality and performance aspects.

And, by the time something more ‘innovative’ comes along with a ‘fully functional’ neural link microchip thread that supposedly brings us a step closer to ‘audio nirvana,’ I think having to get neurosurgery done for a chip thread to be implanted into parts of the brain is taking it a little too far into the extremes and hits the limit for me.

Dec 7, 2022 at 1:41 AM Post #3 of 14
As for new releases and ‘upgrades’ in technology, changes come and go making one new release after the other obsolete.
I'll have to disagree with this point within this hobby.

Just because there's something new coming in, it doesn't make your old gear obsolete. If you bought your gear and stayed with it for so long, it's for a reason and that reason doesn't vanish away just because there's something new. That gear will still sound good.

Dec 7, 2022 at 1:49 AM Post #4 of 14
Hi earmonger,

I’ve had similar thoughts about this, and have thought about this for some time, as our hearing and senses will not be the same in picking out the slightest details and nuances in sounds like our younger selves did when we age more and get older over time.

As for new releases and ‘upgrades’ in technology, changes come and go making one new release after the other obsolete. I feel this ongoing pattern reaches a point where the latest ‘top of the line’ tech of its time are just little differences in presenting sound and feel with a different take/approach to musicality and performance aspects.

And, by the time something more ‘innovative’ comes along with a ‘fully functional’ neural link microchip thread that supposedly brings us a step closer to ‘audio nirvana,’ I think having to get neurosurgery done for a chip thread to be implanted into parts of the brain is taking it a little too far into the extremes and hits the limit for me.
….and if that chip thread were programmed for 24/7 Captain & Tennille….😳🤢….

Dec 7, 2022 at 1:57 AM Post #5 of 14
I'll have to disagree with this point within this hobby.

Just because there's something new coming in, it doesn't make your old gear obsolete. If you bought your gear and stayed with it for so long, it's for a reason and that reason doesn't vanish away just because there's something new. That gear will still sound good.
Hello arijitroy2,

As tech progresses with time, I think there will be a reaching point for some where some of us will let go of our ‘old’ gear that we’ve grown fond of and have been sentimentally attached to, and move on with the ‘new’ and get the most use and enjoyment out of it until something more significant of an all-around improvement is worthy of being a replacement.

Either way, this can go both ways, depending on the things we prioritize and where we are in different life situations, as we all enjoy the experience of this hobby in little different ways, which makes it all worthwhile and meaningful to share our thoughts and experience with others through a well-minded & diverse community like this and other forums. =)

Dec 7, 2022 at 6:30 AM Post #6 of 14
Just added a fiber optic media converter + LPS on my network. For $220 total, it was worth the sonic upgrade.
Kept always an open mind. And test things myself.

But yes perceptual and monetary apparatus has limits. But in this hobby, we all know that this claim is just temporary until the next itch.

Dec 7, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #7 of 14
I paid $1700 for a sennheiser headphone and $900 for a dac/amp because it has features that other models didn't have. These are not so much Phantoms but actual use cases that applies to my listening needs.

Dec 8, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #8 of 14
I see so much here about upgrades, tech innovations, woodgrains and configurations.

Sorry, but the perceptual apparatus has limits.
... and what sale market doesn't have all that? (Substitute woodgrain for look and aesthetics.) Heck, even the grocery store operates this way.

Hi earmonger,

Older yes, but better ...

With experience comes better judgment in quality and a better ability to pick it out. Yeah, I can't hear the same high frequency as a youngster or even my wife can, but neither can judge the performance of an amplifier or a pair of headphones like I can. That doesn't go away with a few frequency bands. I know what I like and can hear it. I also know what I don't like and can often hear it immediately.

Dec 8, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #10 of 14
Newer and better will never be caught, but it’s fun chasing… 🏃‍♂️

Dec 9, 2022 at 6:05 AM Post #11 of 14
I see so much here about upgrades, tech innovations, woodgrains and configurations.

Yes, but critical listening is also a skill which can be learned and improved upon. Whether any given change is audible, or an improvement, is up to the individual listener. As is the decision as to whether any perceived improvement is worth the price of admission.

It’s like the old timer on the first tee urging you to hit when the group in front of you is still only 200 yards out. Simply because he can’t reach them, he can’t even fathom that anyone one else can. Anyone who plays golf knows exactly what I’m talking about. One should always be cognizant of the fact that their own limitations, perceptual or otherwise, do not necessarily apply to the next guy.

YMMV, just my $.03, etc., ad nauseum.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 8:25 AM Post #12 of 14
Newer and better will never be caught, but it’s fun chasing… 🏃‍♂️
It's the core purpose of marketing - create the need/wow factor, and then claim to satisfy it with the shiny new answer.

Comes from the sales force, magazines, friends, our need to be admired for our tastes.

Marketing is primarily focused on the young, and young middle aged because they are in the questing phase and have money to spend. Older folks are generally ignored by mass media - but, the cognoscenti for wine, audio, scotch, travel, etc. do keep getting messaged.

I have come to the conclusion that headphones over $1500 are strictly not worth it - with used HEX v2, Senn 800, new Arya SE available for somewhat less and the near peer for those the HE-6 SE at the ridiculous price on Adorama.

Dec 9, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #13 of 14

Ok!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back