I2S source availability?
Feb 7, 2022 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

dermott

100+ Head-Fier
If I2S is the best connection to date and many DACs have this input on them, why is it not offered on most streamers/servers/sources yet? Seems silly to pay ~1K on a DDC, adding another component to a chain. more cables and......wait......is someone just trying to get my money? But seriously, why is I2S output not a thing yet?

Feb 7, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #2 of 4
If I2S is the best connection to date and many DACs have this input on them, why is it not offered on most streamers/servers/sources yet? Seems silly to pay ~1K on a DDC, adding another component to a chain. more cables and......wait......is someone just trying to get my money? But seriously, why is I2S output not a thing yet?
IIS was not designed for this purpose and when it was adopted, there wasn't any consensus on the pinout. Not all gear is interchangable, so it's risky to choose this or that pinout for the new device you want to sell millions/thousands/hundreds of. There are some configurable ones but I'm not sure they work in all possible combinations.

Anway, DDC is about a lot more than IIS, and you don't have to want IIS specifically to see the value in a DDC.

Feb 7, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #3 of 4
IIS was not designed for this purpose and when it was adopted, there wasn't any consensus on the pinout. Not all gear is interchangable, so it's risky to choose this or that pinout for the new device you want to sell millions/thousands/hundreds of. There are some configurable ones but I'm not sure they work in all possible combinations.

Anway, DDC is about a lot more than IIS, and you don't have to want IIS specifically to see the value in a DDC.
Got it - kinda like a format war. So it may be a while before the dust settles (or maybe never) on what is the universal pin configuration will be when it becomes standardized? I get it that there are other benefits of DDCs (mainly isolation?) to clean up the signal, especially USB.

Feb 7, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #4 of 4
Got it - kinda like a format war. So it may be a while before the dust settles (or maybe never) on what is the universal pin configuration will be when it becomes standardized? I get it that there are other benefits of DDCs (mainly isolation?) to clean up the signal, especially USB.
Well yeah but not only that. For instance I have a bunch of pro gear that has AES input but no way to send a signal via USB. So I bought a DDC that does the format conversion. The box runs USB off the PC and talks to my gear via AES. They're so useful..the more stuff you get the more you care about interoperability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back