Ibasso Discrete portable DAC with R2R D16
Feb 29, 2024 at 8:22 AM Post #361 of 496
Thx!
That means Ibasso DAPs are running Coax different from any other desktop coax gear I own like Ifi Zen Stream or Eversolo DMP-A6.
If someone wants to max out Coax sample rate he d have to buy an Ibasso DAP as source.
With USB anyway no problem

Feb 29, 2024 at 10:02 AM Post #363 of 496
As promised, here is my combined D16/PB5 review. It's a long read, lots of info to cover! Enjoy the read :)
Many thanks, very good and objective review. Thank you for testing out iPhone to D16, not all of us have unlimited funds to buy an expensive DAP as well as D16/PB5 and your comments seem to point out that the result is pretty good with a simple iPhone.

If you have some info (or maybe a followup on your review), it would be great to have your opinion on the sound signature of the DAC in the D16 versus others 1bit, R2R or chip based, N7, RS8... Thanks again, we are lucky to have you in our community.

Feb 29, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #364 of 496
I am surprised to learn that you didn’t prefer the USB C out on the DX260 over some DAPs in your review given that this is Ibasso best implementation yet of the USB C digital out. To my ears, the USB C out on the DX260 is better sounding than that of the DX240, 320X edition, and Sony ZX707 and DX300ti. I asked Paul this very question and he responded below.

I don't know exactly which chip was implemented, but many DAP manufacturers use a dedicated XMOS U-series chips for USB to digital conversion before processing the digital input going into D/A. That could be the reason you hear a difference using various DAPs as a digital source. I didn't test every DAP I have, just a few mentioned in the review, and relative to those while using iBasso high quality usb-c IC cable and a selection of IEMs under test (Jewel, Amber Pearl, RN6), I didn't hear too much different. But I did hear the pair up with my Samsung Galaxy S22 to be slightly inferior, and also noted that using Coax with DX260 yielded better sound results to my ears vs USB-C connection with DX260. Just sharing what I'm hearing :)

Many thanks, very good and objective review. Thank you for testing out iPhone to D16, not all of us have unlimited funds to buy an expensive DAP as well as D16/PB5 and your comments seem to point out that the result is pretty good with a simple iPhone.

If you have some info (or maybe a followup on your review), it would be great to have your opinion on the sound signature of the DAC in the D16 versus others 1bit, R2R or chip based, N7, RS8... Thanks again, we are lucky to have you in our community.

You can end up driving yourself crazy, with dozens of more comparisons, testing many more DAPs, separate LO comparisons in addition to PO comparisons. Too much to cover, and every review takes a few weeks to complete, especially since it's not my full time job. And I already have a lot more in queue to get to. But I will keep this request in mind! :)

Amazing reviews with many comparisons. Thank you !

It is interesting about double amping and the hissing. This exposes more of why hissing was an issues in the first place. It has something more to do with LDR. When you are raising voltages/current from a mere small 3.5V battery pack, something will have to give. Especially when you are taking it and yet amplifying it once more, aka, double amping.

Not sure if you have any sensitive IEMs, Vince. Get something like Andromeda or Solaris for testing :wink: When you have multiple dozens of average sensitivity IEMs that work OK with a source, and then a few hybrid IEMs with high sensitivity and a particular internal crossover design where even at a lower listening volume the waterfall hissing could be as loud as the music, sometimes I have a hard time blaming the source and have to point the finger at IEMs :) There is a lot of work behind finding a perfect pair up match/synergy between the source and your earphones/headphones :D That what makes this hobby so interesting!

Feb 29, 2024 at 11:54 AM Post #365 of 496
I don't know exactly which chip was implemented, but many DAP manufacturers use a dedicated XMOS U-series chips for USB to digital conversion before processing the digital input going into D/A. That could be the reason you hear a difference using various DAPs as a digital source. I didn't test every DAP I have, just a few mentioned in the review, and relative to those while using iBasso high quality usb-c IC cable and a selection of IEMs under test (Jewel, Amber Pearl, RN6), I didn't hear too much different. But I did hear the pair up with my Samsung Galaxy S22 to be slightly inferior, and also noted that using Coax with DX260 yielded better sound results to my ears vs USB-C connection with DX260. Just sharing what I'm hearing :)
Thanks. I believe that the DX260 usb C out is likely the best implementation out of any Ibasso DAPs. I actually prefer a direct DSD out from USB C output compared to the DSD DOP on the coaxial output on the DX260 with the coaxial out sounding less focus and a little softer around the edge despite having slightly blacker background.

Feb 29, 2024 at 12:33 PM Post #366 of 496
Thanks. I believe that the DX260 usb C out is likely the best implementation out of any Ibasso DAPs. I actually prefer a direct DSD out from USB C output compared to the DSD DOP on the coaxial output on the DX260 with the coaxial out sounding less focus and a little softer around the edge despite having slightly blacker background.
Especially DSD! Because this is the advantages of USB as an interfaces.

DSD can not be tampered with unless converted to DOP. Therefore, listening to DSD is best with USB C into the D16. Using Coax, the source such as 320Max have to convert to DOP/PCM first in comparison.

Finally, we found an optimal solution to squeeze every last details from USB as an interface :)!

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #367 of 496
The DX260 for some reason does do an excellent job with the USB C out to the D16. I have a custom USB C to C and a custom coax and they both sound great.

Alex, regarding your review, very thorough as always but I don't agree with some of your conclusions. IMO, the PB5 is to a greater degree, different from the C9. The top end of the PB5 has more life to it and extends better. The acoustical space is better portrayed, in a natural way, on the PB5. I think for one, the stepped attenuator helps and obviously, a different approach to the amplifier topology. The timbre is natural and what I really listen for is both violin and piano and the PB5 is able to do this. Having played the violin helps in hearing the nuances of the instrument.

The D16, for me, outclasses anything I have heard. So very natural and analog in its presentation. I have used it with my A-10 Thunderbolt II stat amp and the Voce or HE90 headphones and the sound is out of this world. Layered, timbre, impact, bass, everything is there. The combination of the D16 and PB5 are also excellent. I can compare it to my Cayin 300BII amp and of course they sound different but musically, and surprisingly, the PB5 gets to the heart of the music better than any type of portable or semi portable I have heard. I am lucky to have a friend with all the top equipment and much of what you have mentioned to compare to.

I feel the D16 and PB5 separate from the field more than what I get a sense of from your review. They are statement pieces that while not cheap, are much less expensive than a lot of top products on the market and IMO, get you further into the music and to the essence of the sound.

Feb 29, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #368 of 496
As promised, here is my combined D16/PB5 review. It's a long read, lots of info to cover! Enjoy the read :)

ibasso-d16-pb5-64.jpg

SmartSelect_20240229-094849_Chrome.jpg

Like the band is surrounding you and behind you, just like actual studio settings.

This is exactly how I felt when listening to the combo using Emp2, Utopia, Stellia, HE1000SE, Liric....such a 3D holographic like....

Head vocal usually in front.
Most drums are back a little bit.
Piano and other instruments usually on the side and a little back.

With speakers then it reverse.....

My other hp stack still not produces this much 3D vs. D16/PB5 combo......

Very good observation about the surrounding. I thought I am that crazy with my brain.....

Feb 29, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #369 of 496
I'm glad to see more reviews indicate that the built in amp on the D16 is worthy, and not just an afterthought.

I do have a question about the volume control though; I'm a little confused on how it works. Does it allow for very fine adjustment? Because my complaint about some of these amps is that the volume intervals are too large and I can't find the exact volume level that I want without it either being too quiet or too loud.

Feb 29, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #370 of 496
I'm glad to see more reviews indicate that the built in amp on the D16 is worthy, and not just an afterthought.

I do have a question about the volume control though; I'm a little confused on how it works. Does it allow for very fine adjustment? Because my complaint about some of these amps is that the volume intervals are too large and I can't find the exact volume level that I want without it either being too quiet or too loud.
Besides the analogue stepped volume you have fine grained digital volume to fine adjust.
So as written before find a good analogue volume step you like to listen to first with digital volume set to some higher threshold like 90 and from there you can regulate personal volume on different tracks digitally without any loss of comfort

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #371 of 496
The DX260 for some reason does do an excellent job with the USB C out to the D16. I have a custom USB C to C and a custom coax and they both sound great.

Alex, regarding your review, very thorough as always but I don't agree with some of your conclusions. IMO, the PB5 is to a greater degree, different from the C9. The top end of the PB5 has more life to it and extends better. The acoustical space is better portrayed, in a natural way, on the PB5. I think for one, the stepped attenuator helps and obviously, a different approach to the amplifier topology. The timbre is natural and what I really listen for is both violin and piano and the PB5 is able to do this. Having played the violin helps in hearing the nuances of the instrument.

The D16, for me, outclasses anything I have heard. So very natural and analog in its presentation. I have used it with my A-10 Thunderbolt II stat amp and the Voce or HE90 headphones and the sound is out of this world. Layered, timbre, impact, bass, everything is there. The combination of the D16 and PB5 are also excellent. I can compare it to my Cayin 300BII amp and of course they sound different but musically, and surprisingly, the PB5 gets to the heart of the music better than any type of portable or semi portable I have heard. I am lucky to have a friend with all the top equipment and much of what you have mentioned to compare to.

I feel the D16 and PB5 separate from the field more than what I get a sense of from your review. They are statement pieces that while not cheap, are much less expensive than a lot of top products on the market and IMO, get you further into the music and to the essence of the sound.

I agreed with everything here. Except, subjectively speaking, the PB5 is warmer than other systems which I deem more neutral including the D16 by itself

Feb 29, 2024 at 2:13 PM Post #372 of 496
I agreed with everything here. Except, subjectively speaking, the PB5 is warmer than other systems which I deem more neutral including the D16 by itself
Yes, the PB5 is somewhat warmer but very analog. But I never said it wasn't warm. :^)

Feb 29, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #373 of 496
Same here on the USB out on the DX260. It outperforms the DX320 X, 240, DX300ti, SONY zX507, and 707 for me. Still have no chance to test against the DX320Max. Have you done the comparison between the DX320max vs the DX260 USB C out?

Feb 29, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #374 of 496
Same here on the USB out on the DX260. It outperforms the DX320 X, 240, DX300ti, SONY zX507, and 707 for me. Still have no chance to test against the DX320Max. Have you done the comparison between the DX320max vs the DX260 USB C out?
Not head on. To really direct it, the A-10 with the HE90 would be what I would use.

Feb 29, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #375 of 496

John, I can only describe what I hear with a gear I'm using (95% high end iems) in my usual neutral review style I have been writing for the last 10 years. It's one data point, the same as what you are describing being another data point. Your description offers a different personal sound perspective based on your vast collection of full size headphones. PB5 is a power beast and added into a sound chain will offer a different performance paired up with some of your headphones in comparison to hybrid IEMs. The truth is I have D16 connected now to DX260 through coax and I have been using it non-stop with my IEMs and can't get enough of it. PB5 will be permanently attached to DX320Max to smooth out its more revealing reference tuning :) Both are great pieces of equipment!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back