Ibasso PB5 the next dedicated portable Amplifier
Feb 8, 2024 at 6:00 AM Post #241 of 483
The insane part is that there's still volume headroom if you increase your 320 Max to gain 3 or 4, though breaking the rules.

... by pushing allowable voltage input too high :wink: But, while I always preach about "no double amping", I found a few very pleasant pair up surprises driving PB5 from PO (instead of LO) of D16 :)

Feb 8, 2024 at 6:08 AM Post #242 of 483
... by pushing allowable voltage input too high :wink: But, while I always preach about "no double amping", I found a few very pleasant pair up surprises driving PB5 from PO (instead of LO) of D16 :)
Whats your recommended PO setting from D16 into PB5?

Feb 8, 2024 at 10:38 AM Post #244 of 483
Whats your recommended PO setting from D16 into PB5?

Nothing is set in stone, so try whatever works better for you and with your iems/headphones. I use iems only and usualy start with dac and amp in high gain. Dac digital volume around 90, and stepped atten analog volume down to zero (DC Elite deja vu, no volume wheel marker on D16 or PB5 either :wink:). Then, raise up analog volume half way, 12 steps or so. If I need more, I can push digital volume higher, closer to the max. If I'm dealing with sensitive iems, I will drop amp gain to Low. And so on.

With a dual volume control (digital DAC volume, analog AMP volume) and high/low gain of DAC and AMP, you have a lot of room for adjustment to cover everything from sensitive IEMs to more demanding headphones.

New iBasso family, looks sharp in green :)

1707406704478.png

Feb 8, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #245 of 483
Guys, just found that passage about PB5 in the iBasso description - does that mean PB5 can stay connected to charger constantly without need to worry?

Attachments

• IMG_8002.jpeg
    IMG_8002.jpeg
    145.6 KB · Views: 0
Feb 8, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #246 of 483
Well there is one worry. You have a tube life of 30,000 hours or 3.4 years of continuous use.

Feb 8, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #248 of 483
Well there is one worry. You have a tube life of 30,000 hours or 3.4 years of continuous use.
Well I wouldn't keep it switched on continously.
The question rather is if it can be treated like an AC powered device.
So keep in wall charger, switch on, listen, switch off but keep connected to charger all the time

Feb 8, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #249 of 483
Well I wouldn't keep it switched on continously.
The question rather is if it can be treated like an AC powered device.
So keep in wall charger, switch on, listen, switch off but keep connected to charger all the time
It shuts off when it doesn’t need a charge so I’m going to say yes.

Feb 8, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #250 of 483
It shuts off when it doesn’t need a charge so I’m going to say yes.
I find this an important and great convenience feature

Feb 9, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #251 of 483
I don't usually make comments about the virtues of a product or how good it is but I will make an exception here.

The Hifiman HE1000 V2 (Non Stealth) have a reputation for being quite difficult to drive and can be quite picky on the chain you use.

Well, the PB5 is awesome! It completely smashes the ball out of the park with the HEKV2'S. Huge soundstage, massive Bass impact and it is goes toe to toe with my Burson Soloist 3XP.

We are not talking moderate volume levels here. This is full beast mode and PB5 is loving it. And this is a portable device!

IBasso have made something very special with the PB5! 🙏

Attachments

• 20240209_201014~2.jpg
    20240209_201014~2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Feb 9, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #252 of 483
I don't usually make comments about the virtues of a product or how good it is but I will make an exception here.

The Hifiman HE1000 V2 (Non Stealth) have a reputation for being quite difficult to drive and can be quite picky on the chain you use.

Well, the PB5 is awesome! It completely smashes the ball out of the park with the HEKV2'S. Huge soundstage, massive Bass impact and it is goes toe to toe with my Burson Soloist 3XP.

We are not talking moderate volume levels here. This is full beast mode and PB5 is loving it. And this is a portable device!

High Gain on both units?

Feb 9, 2024 at 3:41 PM Post #253 of 483
Feb 9, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #254 of 483

Is the bass “massive” or is it textured as well? Natural?
Thanks

Feb 9, 2024 at 7:13 PM Post #255 of 483
I tried PB5 with N8ii last week. I was really surprise with this pairing. I can't remember how C9 sound, but the resolution of N8ii and the warmth of Pb5 really went well.

Two points as major negative:

1) PB5 is not properly isolated. I was using my T8iE and charging pb5 at the same time, and I got shocked. This means you cannot listen and charge at the same time if you are using a metallic iem.
The shock was where the MMCX was hitting my ear. It is an electrical shock, faint, but you feel it.

2) Slight sound of tube noise at times were heard when inserting 4.4mm plug and/or when placing the PB5 on table.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back