iBasso SR1 semi open Headphone. Limited production.
Mar 22, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #1,021 of 1,046
If you did not do any mod, yes classic, jazz are not for SR1.
Bloat bass, bleeding to mids (or any other word) destroy the musicality.
Problems can be solved by mods
From what I remember, I perceived a problem with the timbre, which I noticed right away with a piano piece. But no mod necessary because lucky for me, that's where my a800 comes in. The two pairs complement each other perfectly - the a800's weakness is rock (at least compared to the SR1), but it's great for classical & jazz.

Mar 24, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #1,022 of 1,046
From what I remember, I perceived a problem with the timbre, which I noticed right away with a piano piece. But no mod necessary because lucky for me, that's where my a800 comes in. The two pairs complement each other perfectly - the a800's weakness is rock (at least compared to the SR1), but it's great for classical & jazz.
Yup, piano! 1000% true.
I punch pin holes after unbox one day.
Piano sound lead me to do that.
Then, piano become ok.
My sp1000 extend so low. Stock sr1 can not pair with it but Ak120ii, which solid rock beating, does not goes low end, is ok to pair.

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #1,023 of 1,046
So till this day have anyone been able to compare the SR1 vs the TH610?
When I heard the Th610 I was very impressed how natural and different the sound presentation is. I never heard biocellulose drivers before. I see Sr1 is newer model then th610 but do they sound similar?

Aug 9, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #1,024 of 1,046
Screenshot_20210808-211132_Chrome.png

Still loving SR1 moded. I grap 2 set of PT1 pad for replacing and spare.

Aug 27, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #1,025 of 1,046
Have a gently used pair of these with the PT-1 pads due in tomorrow.They will break in on my Burson Conductor3P until my new McIntosh MHA-100 is delivered..Anyone still have these in their stable?

Aug 28, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #1,026 of 1,046
Can anyone point me to a high quality replacement head band?

Aug 30, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #1,027 of 1,046
Received a pair of these yesterday early.Not quite as pristine as led to believe a compromise was reached & I called them mine..In reality ONLY the headband has issues,like a rat chewed on them in 2 places & the edges are fraying along the front..I plugged them into a very small solar/battery/hand crank emergency radio/light I keep bedside..Now this thing is about 5 inches long by maybe 3 inches square with a speaker about 2.5" & yet has an AWARD winning sound.Not loud,just beautifly voiced for just about any kind of music having been tuned for listening to human voice(LOVE Sangean radios)..
As I sat on the bedside I couldn't resist slipping them on & within just a moment I was drawn into listening.I simply couldn't believe what I was hearing.It was so wonderfully organic,having a natural warmth I associate with hi end speakers using kevlar or carbon fibre & superb Danish silk dome tweeters..Bass was a touch loose but had excellent tone,I figure the estimated 50mw.power driving them was the culprit.Treble also seemed shaded or closed in..
Well I lasted about 10 minutes,flipping between classic rock stations & the blues program on NPR before the overwhelming desire to hear these with a serious source had me headed for the living room..
The Burson Conductor3P was well warmed up & as the cable is only 5' long the hugely under appreciated Pangea/Cardas 15' extension cable was called to duty..
With a few small breaks the listening session lasted 5 more hours,until I simply couldn't keep my eyes open any longer..As Sunday progressed I found I was looking forward to the 9pm.quiet time mandate & couldn't wait to get back to listening with them.Another hours long session confirmed everything I heard the night before & by the time I started writing this I am 100% head over heels gobsmaked at these headphones..So much so that I have already bought another pair,new in box,to stash away as they are limited to 500 pair..
There are professional reviews available..I can only add this.I owned the Senn 800S driven by the same Burson.Also the Audeze LCD-2C & F & still have my Sundara,which I consider a benchmark of neutrality under $1000.00 & EVERY pair has always left a mechanical feeling while listening,ie:I always knew I was listening to headphones.I do not get that association with these cans.These are so superbly balanced they just feel like listening to a really good nearfield desktop stereo..A few good hits or drams & these cans will transport you anywhere in the universe..1000% recommended & you better hurry because they will be sold out very soon!

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #1,028 of 1,046
Can anyone point me to a high quality replacement head band?
Separate headband in layers then cut.
I peel off top layer and keep layer which touch my hair when in use.
Cut it to be a smaller size and shape.

SR1 (mod air flow) and with silver cable is one of my must keep.
It can competitives my hd800s in some tracks where too wide stage of 800s didn't help

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #1,030 of 1,046
^^^I ask the same thing over in the SR-2 thread,consensus was the SR-2 is very close to the SR-1 with the PT-1 pads & a silver cable,slightly more open & a touch brighter.I'm sticking with the SR-1's...

Sep 1, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #1,031 of 1,046
^^^I ask the same thing over in the SR-2 thread,consensus was the SR-2 is very close to the SR-1 with the PT-1 pads & a silver cable,slightly more open & a touch brighter.I'm sticking with the SR-1's...
Yeah brighter is not my thing. I lean to warmer voiced headphones. Love the Focal Radiance. Well so much for the SR2s.

Sep 1, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #1,032 of 1,046
Yeah brighter is not my thing. I lean to warmer voiced headphones. Love the Focal Radiance. Well so much for the SR2s.
I would not call the SR2 bright at all. I would say they are just a tiny bit more resolving but not bright. To my ears they are very natural sounding, very musical.

Sep 1, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #1,033 of 1,046
I would not call the SR2 bright at all. I would say they are just a tiny bit more resolving but not bright. To my ears they are very natural sounding, very musical.
Agreed!ABSOLUTELY ZERO traces of harshness or sibilance.I liken the SR-1 with standard pads & cable to a Class A Single Ended 300B amplifier,lucid & magical midrange with just the slightest touch of lose at the higher frequency extremes.Actually close to how I remember the Senn 650 sounding but better resolution of low level detail & much better bass...
Can't comment on a cable change but the PT-1 pads seem to move the tone towards a Class A Single Ended Pentode,beautifuly voiced EL34 midrange/treble & solid KT88 grip & tone through the bass...

Dec 16, 2023 at 12:25 AM Post #1,034 of 1,046
Destiny?Fate?Shear blind,dumb luck?
A marriage sent from angels...
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG

Dec 16, 2023 at 12:28 AM Post #1,035 of 1,046
Destiny?Fate?Shear blind,dumb luck?
A marriage sent from angels...DSC_0002.JPGDSC_0003.JPG
I use the SR series all the time. Excellent headphones and I will compare them to the best of the best. They are different but no less. Insanely underrated, or possibly just not discovered well enough, or, people just like to spend a lot more money. :^)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back