Icon Audio HP8/MP 3
Mar 17, 2024 at 5:52 AM Post #1,366 of 1,504
One of my WE6SN7 Plus has random static noise, try to buy a replacement. Found one on AliExpress but the Ia current is 9mA. Mine is 12mA. Would like to know if any issues mixed use of 9mA and 12mA in HP8, I don't have much knowledge about tubes. Any comment is welcome. :beerchug:

6SN7 PAPER.jpg
WE6SN7 PLUS.jpg

Mar 17, 2024 at 7:46 AM Post #1,367 of 1,504
One of my WE6SN7 Plus has random static noise, try to buy a replacement. Found one on AliExpress but the Ia current is 9mA. Mine is 12mA. Would like to know if any issues mixed use of 9mA and 12mA in HP8, I don't have much knowledge about tubes. Any comment is welcome. :beerchug:

6SN7 PAPER.jpgWE6SN7 PLUS.jpg
I personally wouldn't get two tubes that aren't matched for gain and emissions. But, that is me. Breaking the amp with tube rolling is like the only way you will circumvent the warranty. Plus Aliexpress takes for freaking ever.

Never seen a pair of Western Electric 6SN7s. What year were those made?

Mar 17, 2024 at 8:32 AM Post #1,368 of 1,504
I personally wouldn't get two tubes that aren't matched for gain and emissions. But, that is me. Breaking the amp with tube rolling is like the only way you will circumvent the warranty. Plus Aliexpress takes for freaking ever.

Never seen a pair of Western Electric 6SN7s. What year were those made?
They are new production from Shuguang in the recent years, bought it in used market. I only have few tubes to compare with, Shuguang CV181z and Psvane 6SN7 UK HiFi, WE6SN7 plus are better in soundstage, resolution, lower noise floor, they are better for classical. Thanks for your comment.

Mar 17, 2024 at 9:56 AM Post #1,369 of 1,504
The 6SN7 tube itself was introduced in 1939. RCA & Sylvania were original competitors over this tube. Western Electric, to my knowledge, did not make the 6SN7 during the 'tube period'.

Mar 17, 2024 at 5:48 PM Post #1,370 of 1,504
Many thanks to both @geoffalter11 and @Jay Smith for your helpful replies - much appreciated!

I exchanged a couple of emails with Icon Audio and - I have to say, despite my love for their products - I found it disappointing that they point blank refused to tell me what the output impedance(s) are on the HP8. They choose not to publish that spec in the manual or on the website (for whatever reason, I won't speculate). That said, when they send review samples (not of the HP8, unfortunately) of their amplifiers to Hifi News the magazine does its own measurements and publishes them as part of the review. This was useful, for example, when I decided to buy an Icon Audio Stereo 30SE for my speaker system. Not sure why Icon Audio feel the need to be so secretive when a customer asks a reasonable question about a product already purchased - particularly when it concerns component matching. Oh well...
What output impedance measurements have you seen referenced in reviews for the HP8, if you happen to recall?

Equally baffling and frustrating that Icon would refuse to answer the question altogether, but I find it fairly difficult to find these numbers for a lot of tube amps for whatever reason…

Mar 17, 2024 at 6:11 PM Post #1,371 of 1,504
The 6SN7 tube itself was introduced in 1939. RCA & Sylvania were original competitors over this tube. Western Electric, to my knowledge, did not make the 6SN7 during the 'tube period'.
I think the WE prefix on the Shuguang tube is causing confusion.

Mar 17, 2024 at 10:58 PM Post #1,372 of 1,504
I think the WE prefix on the Shuguang tube is causing confusion.
Just ask David if the difference will cause a problem with the amp. He will answer that question for sure...

Mar 18, 2024 at 9:29 PM Post #1,373 of 1,504
Ken-Rad VT-231 pair + Telefunken ECC801S:
IMG_7556.jpeg
🥲🤪

Mar 19, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #1,374 of 1,504
Well, unsurprisingly, after (only) a couple of days and impatiently throwing 5 headphones in the mix, it’s hard for me to clearly pick a winner (even if just “per HP”) amongst my new amps… but, what I can easily say is that the HP8 is working perfectly with my GH2 and HD820! Great bass and great overall texture. Not sure if I prefer the E3 with the HP8 or EQd on one of the Violectrics…

Mar 20, 2024 at 5:37 PM Post #1,375 of 1,504
Oh, yeah!
IMG_2916.jpeg

Mar 20, 2024 at 6:11 PM Post #1,376 of 1,504
Oh, yeah!
IMG_2916.jpeg
The CV455 is probably the best of the 12AT7s I've tried on this amp (over a dozen). A wonderful tube.

It was also transformational in my Woo WA3.

First heard about the CV455 from @jonathan c, who does know his tubes...

Mar 20, 2024 at 8:25 PM Post #1,378 of 1,504
Thermionic products may Brimarize:)
It is a great tube... David is actually toying with the idea of making the 12AT7 the spec tube because NOS versions are so much cheaper and the amp has so much power and gain that the 12AT7 is helpful to the entire experience.

I truly wish the CV181s he provides, especially the ceramics were more balanced because they sound fantastic in the amp. I just hate looking at a tube that is crooked in my amp.

Same thing with my Aficionado. My Aficionado also takes the 5R4GY for the recitifier. I bought this insanely beautiful 1944 wartime brand new 5R4GY from Igolioto on eBay and it seats funny in the Aficionado and was crooked. It sounded so different in the amp than the GZ-34. More syrupy and just a smidge more slag creating this wonderful decay as the Aficionado is a seriously fast amp. But, I hated looking at the tube crooked in my amp so I traded it for another GZ-34. In the ECAF the rectifier tube makes the biggest difference to the sound of the amp. More than the big 2A3 DHTs.

This amp has Cinemag transformers with Tertiary windings which makes this amp so fast and clean.

Mar 20, 2024 at 8:47 PM Post #1,379 of 1,504
It is a great tube... David is actually toying with the idea of making the 12AT7 the spec tube because NOS versions are so much cheaper and the amp has so much power and gain that the 12AT7 is helpful to the entire experience.

I truly wish the CV181s he provides, especially the ceramics were more balanced because they sound fantastic in the amp. I just hate looking at a tube that is crooked in my amp.

Same thing with my Aficionado. My Aficionado also takes the 5R4GY for the recitifier. I bought this insanely beautiful 1944 wartime brand new 5R4GY from Igolioto on eBay and it seats funny in the Aficionado and was crooked. It sounded so different in the amp than the GZ-34. More syrupy and just a smidge more slag creating this wonderful decay as the Aficionado is a seriously fast amp. But, I hated looking at the tube crooked in my amp so I traded it for another GZ-34. In the ECAF the rectifier tube makes the biggest difference to the sound of the amp. More than the big 2A3 DHTs.

This amp has Cinemag transformers with Tertiary windings which makes this amp so fast and clean.
I didn't finish my thought... So, my thought is around tube rolling in SET amps. Does it make a huge difference versus an OTL? I don't own an OTL so I can't speak to that, but I wonder. Because I hear way bigger differences with tube rolling on my ECAF than I ever did on the HP8. I heard differences, but not so big that I felt sonically it was changing the amp. More flavor. Like the difference between which red wine I use when I braise shortribs. Both delicious and tender, just a different flavor on my palate.

How much difference does the transformer make to the sound? All the designers of SET amps I've talked to tell me the transformer and caps are 90% plus of the sound of an SET amp. I have no answers, only questions. Hoping to spark some thoughts from others on this topic.

Mar 20, 2024 at 8:49 PM Post #1,380 of 1,504
My ECAF is also an SET amp, but has a rectifier power supply which makes a big difference in the sound. I definitely have learned that I love the sound of a rectifier tube and external power supply.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back