IEM 4,4 mm connection
Apr 3, 2024 at 10:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

helloh3adfi

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey, Got a question about 2-Pin to 4,4 mm Pentaconn IEM cables. Recently I got a new one and of course I checked it with a DMM.
There R- of 2-Pin IEM connector is not only connected to R-, but also connected to Pentaconn ground. That isn't done right. However I heard the ground doesn't matter anyway when using Pentaconn balanced, does it? So is it safe to use my IEM with this new cable or should I resolder? Using portable amps like iBasso DC-Elite and Xduoo XD05Pro.

Apr 8, 2024 at 9:32 AM Post #2 of 4
Hey, Got a question about 2-Pin to 4,4 mm Pentaconn IEM cables. Recently I got a new one and of course I checked it with a DMM.
There R- of 2-Pin IEM connector is not only connected to R-, but also connected to Pentaconn ground. That isn't done right. However I heard the ground doesn't matter anyway when using Pentaconn balanced, does it? So is it safe to use my IEM with this new cable or should I resolder? Using portable amps like iBasso DC-Elite and Xduoo XD05Pro.
I can’t really answer your question. But, yes stuff like Sony DAPs don’t use the TRRRS ground with 4.4mm plugs. I have gotten a miss wired cable which even changing the 2 pin polarity didn’t fix the issue, it sounded like the music was farther away and under water almost. Yet the miss wiring didn’t hurt my 1Z or 1A, and I was mailed a replacement cable. Hope this helps.
5B9EB0F0-F6BF-41E4-80B9-4492362F96DE.jpeg

Apr 16, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #3 of 4

While the ground isn’t used in headphone cable application, only interconnects, the problem you encountered will connect the R - to the ground of the amplifier as well as the IEM which cannot be a good thing.

I would certainly correct that.

It is possibly as simple as a little dag of solder touching the R - and the body of the 4.4mm plug effectively grounding it given that the R - and the body of the plug are beside each other and close. Likely a simple fix if you can get the plug open without damage.

IMG_0392.jpeg

Apr 16, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #4 of 4
While the ground isn’t used in headphone cable application, only interconnects, the problem you encountered will connect the R - to the ground of the amplifier as well as the IEM which cannot be a good thing.

I would certainly correct that.

It is possibly as simple as a little dag of solder touching the R - and the body of the 4.4mm plug effectively grounding it given that the R - and the body of the plug are beside each other and close. Likely a simple fix if you can get the plug open without damage.
Good thing I didn't use the cable. Got it refunded so everything is alright. :smile_phones:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back