IEM recommendation
Aug 30, 2014 at 1:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Pensel

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm deciding between the Final Design Audio Heaven II (88 dollars from Amazon) or JVC HA-FXT90 (73 dollars) or Ostry KC06 (57 dollars)... Can you guys give a comparison?

Initially I wanted to get the Ostry KC06 because people are saying it performs really good for the price but if I can top up a little more I can get a lot better? Good clarity is a must.(or is the word transparency? Sorry I'm new to the audiophile world).

Listen to a lot of anime, piano songs, ballads, and most of the other genres except rap/hip hop and heavy metal/rock. Great vocals is a huge bonus!

Dislike the highs being too "sharp" ? Or ear piercing sharp (dunno what's the word for that)

Would be nice if the earphones are really "fun" to listen too. I dunno how to put it into words, but basically the songs feel really "lively". For example, a pianist playing a song with full of emotions and finesse vs a layman playing the piano technically perfectly but missing the soul and emotion.

Source: Phone or laptop with cheapo sound card

Budget is up to 73 dollars actually but if the FDA Heaven II is so damn awesome, then I guess I'll just top up a bit lol

Dec 10, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 2
I just happened upon your thread. It may be too late, but here goes... I cannot compare with two of the models you mention, but I have the JVC HA FXT90s. Actually three pair of the JVCs. I love them, obviously. That said, the JVCs are very clear, but very forward. From the description of your tastes and preferences, they may be too "sharp" for you.

I would recommend you try out the Brainwavz S0. $25 from MP4nation: http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-s0-iem-earphones-free-fedex-2-day-to-select-destination

The S0s are very well-rounded earphones. There is a mild bass emphasis with a fair amount of impact. Mids are full bodied and fairly articulate, but very slightly recessed. Highs are well extended and present, never harsh. They handle all genres well, but complex classical passages can get a bit congested. As one reviewer mentioned regarding the S0, they sound best when you aren't paying attention to them. That can be a complement. They don't always demand your attention. As a comparison, the JVC demands your attention. This is not always best, as when you are trying to listen to music as a background while writing, etc. The S0 scales very well with volume. The earphone retains its pleasant signature at low volume to high volume. Some head/ear phones need to be medium to high volume to show what they are capable of. The S0 can be driven by about any music source iPhone, iPod, Android phone, etc. I hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back