iFi audio GO blu - Super small. Super light. Super Sound.
Jan 31, 2022 at 6:06 AM Post #1,067 of 1,594
Isn't that similar to the iFi iMatch 4.4?
IEMatch has a voltage bypass circuit inside, which allows for low output impedance (and important if you want to maintain the FR curve as close to original as possible). Adding just resistor inline will make a normal impedance adapter, not an IEMatch. The difference is where/how you solder the resistor.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 6:40 AM Post #1,068 of 1,594
Thanks, I'm assuming the WIRED connection is the slightly better one?

Well, sound quality is always a question of how you define it. Often it is difficult to say if something sounds "better" or just "different". But in this case I think most people would agree the wired connection sounds better. To my ears it sounds slightly more extended in the highs and (maybe as a result of that) generally a tad more transparent and wide.

Jan 31, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #1,069 of 1,594
question, Is there a noticeable difference in sound quality when you use the GO Blu as a WIRED PC DAC/AMP vs Wireless LDAC?
Keep in mind that the DSP of encoding and decoding LDAC can play a role in audio quality, same goes for any CODEC really. With BT, the audio is encoded on the source device then decoded on the host. When using wired, the decoding is done on the source device then sent to the host where any processing done after that is going to be minimal.

Feb 3, 2022 at 6:50 AM Post #1,070 of 1,594
Thanks, I'm assuming the WIRED connection is the slightly better one?
It's not so simple as whether it's better or not, because it depends on what you connected it to. I just posted my review where I talk about it.

Feb 4, 2022 at 1:37 AM Post #1,072 of 1,594
I needed good efficient closed-back cans for a travel-friendly audiophile set up. After auditioning a few, I decided on the Focal Radiance. It was the right tuning for me, versus the rest of Focal’s mid-forward offerings. I was prepared to get myself an iFi Gryphon and did not realize that my iFi Blu Go (which I use for an IEM) does a good job driving these already! I couldn’t think of a better closed-back pairing with the Blu Go. Now I wonder if I even still need a Gryphon.

875A7A64-766C-47AA-859B-CDCB150B89A3.jpeg

Feb 4, 2022 at 5:21 AM Post #1,073 of 1,594
I needed good efficient closed-back cans for a travel-friendly audiophile set up. After auditioning a few, I decided on the Focal Radiance. It was the right tuning for me, versus the rest of Focal’s mid-forward offerings. I was prepared to get myself an iFi Gryphon and did not realize that my iFi Blu Go (which I use for an IEM) does a good job driving these already! I couldn’t think of a better closed-back pairing with the Blu Go. Now I wonder if I even still need a Gryphon.

Great choice! I went for the Celestee and I love it... Thinking about selling the iDSD Signature and grabbing a Gryphon, i don't need that much power on the go.

Feb 4, 2022 at 6:46 AM Post #1,074 of 1,594

Buy a balanced cable instead, the pentaconn out is much more muscular

Feb 4, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #1,075 of 1,594
Buy a balanced cable instead, the pentaconn out is much more muscular
Oh absolutely. I just ordered a Meze 99 balanced upgrade cable for it. I look forward to it!

Feb 6, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #1,076 of 1,594
I also bought the ifi go blue. Initial listening impressions are very good. I decided to update first so I had that behind me. But boy o boy, what an irritating way to update this device. So not user friendly and with old Skool apk installing what went far from great. But in the end I managed to update the device, at least I thought so... I can't hear music through the iems anymore. Bluetooth connection is there but the device will not turn off and the buttons don't react at all. Light stays green when connected and otherwise blinks red/ green.
Long story short, after the update it's not working anymore. I have regrets that i tried the update. Someone an idea how to fix this?

Edit: I followed exactly the tutorial on the including word document. Don't do this ! You are installing the wrong firmware for another device then. Be sure to install the ifi Blu go V 3.5 update.

To the people from Ifi audio: come on, this is just lazy/ stupid. It already isn't the most convenient method to update but if you make this stupid faults in your tutorial this will happen ....

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 5:43 AM Post #1,077 of 1,594
Photo Review: Miter case for Gryphon and GO blu - dress your iFi in genuine Tuscan leather

It's not often that I gush about covers and cases, but ever since I learned about a small South Korean company called Miter, that's all changed.

My first experience of a Miter product was a purpose-made 'DAP Case', which as the name suggests, houses a DAP and IEMs in a neat folding box that's well made, sturdy and fashionable too. Aside from the quality workmanship, it had nifty features I hadn't seen before, like a slider that lifts and holds the DAP upright during use, and clever lids for the various compartments that doubled as work surfaces.

So when Joey (the friendly and highly responsive spokesperson for the company) mentioned they were making custom covers for new portble devices, my interest was piqued. First up was a custom cover for a pair of Sony WF-1000XM4 IEMs I recently acquired. I shouldn't have been surprised, but given Miter's penchant for leather, the resulting case was nothing short of special - made from Consorio Vera Pelle Italiana (genuine vegetable dyed leather from the famous tanneries in Tuscany, Italy).

Naturally I asked Joey about other cases they were making, and when he said they had an iFi GO blu and Gryphon in for measurements, I held back my delighted squeal so as not to sound overenthusiastic. The GO blu case arrived first, in December, the Gryphon a few days ago. To say these are probably the most stylish covers I've seen on any audio device would be underselling them, so I'll just show you:

MiterGryphon1.jpg

As you can see, this is not your average thin leather jobbie made in a mass production sweatshop. The leather is thick, supple, expertly stitched, and finished with a soft, almost pearlescent dye that exudes luxury.

The GO blu case features a sturdy loop made of tanned leather, and comes with a leather strap to wear around your neck. You can remove it (as I have with mine), and use a carbiner instead, or if you're into DIY, attach a small clip to the back of the case. I prefer not to use a clip with mine, since I mostly keep it in a pocket or on a desk, so the lack of a permanently attached clip is a bonus.

Despite the diminutive size, the generous leather doesn't block any of the GO blu's functionality. Miter has cleverly embossed a groove above the XBass/XSpace button below the volume dial, and another above the power button on the opposite side. There's also a small pinhole cutout on the bottom of the case for the power LED, and plenty of room to insert the USB-C cable. I like how the volume dial sits neatly in the die-cut partition on the side of the case, and the thickness of the leather makes it protrude less, preventing accidental turning.

MiterGryphon6.jpg

Gryphon's case is even more intricately cut, although it doesn't need any grooves for hidden side buttons. Instead, there are slight indents in the leather, on the back and on the underside, to accommodate the power LED and IEMatch switch respectively. There's also a seamless cutout for the OLED screen on top of the case, with full access to all the inputs, outputs and volume dial on the front and rear.

MiterGryphon3.jpg

Miter has also included two sets of clear plastic screen protectors for the OLED screen with the Gryphon case. At first I was confused as to why the protectors came in two different lengths, but then realised that it gives you the option to only cover the illuminated part of the screen (shorter protector) or cover the entire length of the screen, including the silkscreened logo. I personally installed the longer protector, hoping that the bonding agent doesn't lift the logo if I ever need to remove it.

MiterGryphon2.jpg

If blue (or green - the leather cases are available inteo colours) isn't your style, or you prefer you leather more vegan than previously living, Miter gives you the option of PU leather cases in a variety of colours. I received the black version to try out, and can confirm it's every bit as well made and functional as the leather case - albeit slightly thinner and smoother to the touch. It's also cheaper, so better value too. Switching between the two cases is quick and easy, just make sure you don't yank the GO blu by the volume dial when trying to remove it from its case (a gentle nudge with a blunt object from the bottom of the case, pressing on the USB port, will do the trick).

MiterGryphon5.jpg

If @iFi audio was remiss in not making stock cases for GO blu and Gryphon, fear not, because Miter's cases are the real deal. They add flair to two products that aren't lacking in the flair department themselves, while giving you peace of mind that your not-inexpensive portable audio gear is protected from the perils of everyday life inside your pockets and carry bags. If, like me, you have a nose and eye for beautiful genuine leather, or just like the aesthetic without the carnage, Miter literally has you covered.

The Miter iFi cases are a must-buy for any self-respecting GO blu or Gryphon owner, and are readily available from one of your local Amazon retailers (also shipping worldwide). Highly recommended.

GO blu

Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/MITER-Handmade-Pueblo-Leather-Necklace-Blue/dp/B09LD5H986
Amazon US: https://www.amazon.com/MITER-Handmade-Pueblo-Leather-Necklace/dp/B09LD5H986
Amazon Italy: https://www.amazon.it/MITER-Custodia-pelle-cordino-collana/dp/B09LD5H986
Amazon Japan: https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/Handmade-Italian-Pueblo-Leather-Necklace/dp/B09LD5H986

Gryphon

Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/MITER-Gryphon-Handmade-Pueblo-Leather/dp/B09Q69YFR6
Amazon US: https://www.amazon.com/MITER-Gryphon-Handmade-Pueblo-Leather/dp/B09Q69YFR6
Amazon Italy: https://www.amazon.it/MITER-Gryphon-Custodia-Italia-Grifone/dp/B09Q69YFR6
Amazon Japan: https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/MITER-Gryphon-Protector-Handmade-Leather/dp/B09Q69YFR6

MiterGryphon4.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 2:46 AM Post #1,080 of 1,594
Now for the good news. No hiss coupled with my Sony xba N3, that is balanced connection. I like te sound signature, enough power and nice dynamics. Expecially the x-bass function does add something special. Battery life very descent so far.
How do you compare the sound of N3 + Go Blu to N3 + other DAP/dongle/amp etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back