iFi audio iDSD Signature - The saga continues!
Apr 3, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #2,162 of 2,172
Hey everyone! I just received my micro iDSD Signature Finale and am looking to update the firmware. However, when I go to the download hub and select the micro iDSD Signature the serial number does not start with the expected range. Thus no firmware update is suggested. Am I looking in the wrong place? Any pointers?

Apr 3, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #2,163 of 2,172
Hey everyone! I just received my micro iDSD Signature Finale and am looking to update the firmware. However, when I go to the download hub and select the micro iDSD Signature the serial number does not start with the expected range. Thus no firmware update is suggested. Am I looking in the wrong place? Any pointers?
I asked ifi support about this when I got my Finale. They said you can use the Signature firmware download. If you need a serial number use this. This is what they gave me. 2014912345

Apr 3, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #2,164 of 2,172
I asked ifi support about this when I got my Finale. They said you can use the Signature firmware download. If you need a serial number use this. This is what they gave me. 2014912345
I also have a Finale, didn't know there was a firmware to update, how do you find out version that is installed? Is there a readme with the changes included in the firmware? Thanks.

Apr 3, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #2,166 of 2,172
I believe it comes with the latest GTO firmware. But if you want to try it with the other flavors of the firmware you have the option. Some people prefer the older firmware options since they can sound more organic depending on your headphones and preference.

I'm not sure about windows, but if you're on a mac you can go to "System Settings" under the Mac icon where it shows you the hardware specs, select "USB" and you should see the ifi and the version of the firmware. I can take screens shots when I get home.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 7:34 PM Post #2,167 of 2,172
One of the reasons I was thinking there would be firmware updates is because using UAPP and playing MQA tracks I get the blue light on which indicates DSD 256, which is not correct… so I wasn’t sure if it is properly detecting MQA. Whether that’s important in the grand scheme of things is debatable, but it indicates a possible problem and there may be others that can be addressed.

@iFi audio thanks - looking forward to what you hear back! I also filed a ticket and I will share here any response.

@mblain - thank you!! Did you employ this workaround successfully?

Apr 3, 2024 at 11:08 PM Post #2,168 of 2,172
@mblain - thank you!! Did you employ this workaround successfully?
I was successful in downloading the firmware and implementing that firmware with the directions I gave you.

Also, regarding the blue light. If the Finale is the same as the Diablo now, the blue light indicates MQA studio now. I would check but I no longer have the finale myself.

Double check that and try various MQA files.

Attachments

• IMG_6330.jpeg
    IMG_6330.jpeg
    187 KB · Views: 0
Apr 3, 2024 at 11:48 PM Post #2,169 of 2,172
I was successful in downloading the firmware and implementing that firmware with the directions I gave you.

Also, regarding the blue light. If the Finale is the same as the Diablo now, the blue light indicates MQA studio now. I would check but I no longer have the finale myself.

If you could check the version number you have, that would be great!

Mine reports:
Device info - Revision v7.40
Driver info- v 3.20.0 (I use Windows so this might not match yours)

Apr 3, 2024 at 11:52 PM Post #2,170 of 2,172

I should also note that the color coding you included definitely match what I see, so it is just the included card in the box that appears out of date. Thank you!!

Apr 4, 2024 at 12:01 AM Post #2,171 of 2,172
I don’t have my Finale anymore, but I did run firmware 7.4c. Yours looks like it’s running 7.4. See the difference with the attached photo of the read me file. Also look through the idsd signature thread for more info on the differences.

The finale has the newer XMOS, the same one in the Diablo that allows for full MQA decoding unlike the OG signature which could only do the first fold.

I assumed the color coding would be the same as the Diablo. Glad that’s the case.

Attachments

• IMG_6331.jpeg
    IMG_6331.jpeg
    244.4 KB · Views: 0
Apr 6, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #2,172 of 2,172
@iFi audio, I was considering getting a Signature Finale to use as a transportable option but I don't want to deal with battery anxiety. Is there any chance that there will be a firmware fix for the Signature that would bring USB power like how the Micro BL works?

I love my Micro BLs and still use a couple for the office, travel bag, and one for bouncing around home. I own a Signature but don't use it because the inability to power and connect with one cable. The side charging port is inconvenient and stupid. If that's the only thing that really got lost and cannot be recovered because it is a hardware factor, I'll be disappointed; I only miss the analog input for when working with power-hungry headphones with weak output outboard music gear or electronic instruments, but I need power and digital input every time I use the device so it would be baffling to not have the ability. I'm probably never going to get a Diablo because it is missing XBass and 3D and only has the power boost. If the Signature can't be fixed for single cable power and input I guess I've got to hope that if there is a next generation it has true balanced 4.4mm, Xbass and 3D, single cable power+data, and drops the MQA tax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back