iFi audio ZEN DAC - EISA Award Winner 'Best Value DAC 2020-21!
Oct 21, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #31 of 1,162
That's too bad :frowning2:
If it's USB powered, it could be more portable. I hope they'll make a smaller 4.4mm balanced USB-powered DAC soon. or dual 3.5mm balanced would be great too.
They have xDSD - portable balanced DAC / amp:wink:

Oct 21, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #32 of 1,162
is this unit USB powered???
Wow! I can't wait to use 4.4mm output with my laptop!
That's too bad :frowning2:
If it's USB powered, it could be more portable. I hope they'll make a smaller 4.4mm balanced USB-powered DAC soon. or dual 3.5mm balanced would be great too.
I thought it was confirmed to be working over USB, the barrel port is to override power input from USB to external source...
USB = perfectly fine for powering it.

This superb hi-res USB DAC/headphone amp delivers a level of specification and performance that punches above its super-affordable price tag.
Compact enough to use as a USB DAC/amp on your work desk with your much-loved headphones.
Stylish enough to use in your home system as a USB DAC. Just add your favourite active speakers or amp.

@iFi audio can you confirm?

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #40 of 1,162
Standard DC barrel connection.

I thought it was confirmed to be working over USB, the barrel port is to override power input from USB to external source...
USB = perfectly fine for powering it.

It IS USB-powered! Briefly auditioned it at ZMFestivus couple weeks ago... Only cable going in was USB from a laptop!!
I have asked the iFi guys there whether it is battery powered, and they told me: No battery! USB powered :)

Oct 21, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #41 of 1,162
@iFi audio Please make a smaller USB powered DAC with dual 3.5mm balanced outputs!
I think Sony PHA-3 is too expensive for that...

In my opinion, dual 3.5mm balanced output has the most amount of power and clarity. It beats 2.5mm balanced easily.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #42 of 1,162
In my opinion, dual 3.5mm balanced output has the most amount of power and clarity. It beats 2.5mm balanced easily.

The choice of connectors, may it be 2.5mm TRRS, 4.4mm TRRRS, 3.5mm TRRS or dual 3.5mm TRS, has nothing to do with how much power any device can pump out, It is the headphone driving stage that determines the level of power (among other factors) at the end. You can easily make a 2.5mm TRRS outputs more power than any other connectors as long as you put a very powerful circuit behind it. Besides, dual 3.5mm TRS is a dead standard that even Sony has abandoned for 4.4mm TRRRS.

Oct 21, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #43 of 1,162
That's not true. Check Pono player's dual 3.5mm output. It's still way better than anything I've heard so far. I think it's about time to see more affordable and portable dual 3.5mm balanced USB DACs.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #44 of 1,162
That's not true. Check Pono player's dual 3.5mm output. It's still way better than anything I've heard so far. I think it's about time to see more affordable and portable dual 3.5mm balanced USB DACs.

You still missed the idea by a mile. Physical connector doesn't determine how much power the output is. It is the hardware behind the connector - all the resistors, capacitors and opamps alike, that determine how much power there is.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2019 at 12:50 AM Post #45 of 1,162
You still missed the idea by a mile. Physical connector doesn't determine how much power the output is. It is the hardware behind the connector - all the resistors, capacitors and opamps alike, that determine how much power there is.

Regardless, I haven't heard anything more powerful than Pono's dual 3.5mm balanced. I've listened to all kinds of DACs and DAPs including DX100, Sony ZX1, PHA-2, Onkyo DP-S10, LG V30, Antelope Zodiac DAC, Apogee Groove, Roland UM 10, etc. They don't sound any better than Pono's dual 3.5mm balanced output. If someone can implement that powerful dual 3.5mm balanced into a portable, USB-powered DAC, I'm buying it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back