I'm considering a Beyerdynamic Full Sized Headphone, but which model???
May 29, 2009 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

AnAnalogSpirit

500+ Head-Fier
Hi Everyone,

To be truthful I <3 my IEMs, BUT there are times when I want a less "invasive" experience. Also I read about Moon Audio's NEW Variable Cable Mod for the Beyerdynamic DT990, DT880, and DT770 models, whereby you can have them custom designed at beyerdynamic MANUFAKTUR*-*MANUFAKTUR Build Your Own and have them sent directly to Moon Audio for recabling!!! I have a Black Dragon Interconnect and love what it did for my Sound Quality: It's just full and BIG and different than my Silver iBasso CB01 Interconnect. That got me interested in Cable Qualities, etc...

I have a variety of musical palettes, or moods for listening: sometimes in the mood to listen to the bass, sometimes the mids, sometimes the analytics of the treble. I like bass hum rather than punch, and "bass-ey treble" rather than "sharp treble"... Mids I prefer to be full and detailed.

So here we get to the meat of the issue, I've read about the Beyerdynamics a bit, and compared to the other fullsize cans, whereby I have firsthand experience with Sony (tepid response from me; preferred the factory fresh stuff over the broken in stuff, the V6 over the newer-fangled DJ expensive stuff) Sennheiser 650 (HATED it!!!) and Grado SR60 (bored by it, but keep it as a "reference" along with my etymotic ER*4-P) I'm looking for this new Experience.

So folks, I submit to you with the above requirements and preferences which ones do you think are best suited? Why? Detailed descriptions welcome!! :-D

I will be using it with a COWON O2PMP, or my Auzen X-Meridian which has the Texas Instruments Burr-Brown OPA627AU OP-AMPs on all 4 channels.

I have only portable amps, for now, and wonder what would be an appropriate amp to get... with this Headphone I don't mind a Home Only system. I know the Headphones come in 32ohm, 250ohm, and 600ohm flavours, and want to know which ones give the ultimate in fidelity, and what it takes to drive them?

Any reccomendations for Yours Truly?? Don't be shy...

As you can see I have maxed out my IEM collection pretty much: I think the Victor HP-FX500's will be the last pair I NEED to buy unless I get a pair of Atrios or UE's at some point... but alas I'd rather go for a bit DIFFERENT listening Experience.

Looking forward to hearing your opinions and reccomendations!

May 29, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #2 of 21
I think you should have a closer look at DT880.They're said to be more neutral then 770 and 990.If you really want to enjoy some differant kind of "aspect" or Freq. , they should suit you better espacially if you want full and detailed mid.770 and 990 aren't renowed to shine in this part of the spectrum.For impedance , there is thread going on right now about differance between 250 and 600 ohms beyers, u should a look.Usually Most people agree to say that 600 ohms bring a more refined sound with smoother high etc .....Anyway
Good luck finding the right pair !!!

May 29, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #3 of 21
the dt880 has a very smooth sound, easy and non fatiguing. zero harshness. (i have the 2003 version) ez to drive for a 250 ohm can- my fiio e5 can drive it decently. of course my 'real' amps do better.
for less $$ consider the dt660. much more detail than the dt880 but if u dont like in-your-face highs and mids it may not be for you. both have about the same bass. the dt660 is very ez to drive

May 29, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #4 of 21
My favorites on the current beyer consumer models are the DT880/250 ohm and DT990/600 ohm. The DT990 has a little stronger bass and more high treble sparkle than the DT880. The DT880 puts the vocals somewhat more forward in the mix than the DT990/600.

If possible, you should also experiment with the output impedance of the amplifier driving the beyers. I prefer their sound when fed from a higher impedance.

May 29, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #5 of 21
The DT880/250 2005 is my current favourite headphone. They do require a bit of power to sound at their best, but I find their sound well balanced, detailed, more mid-treble focussed than bass focussed, but bass is still very present when the music requires it and has plenty of impact. Some headfiers have called them boring, sibilant, bass heavy and bass light, lacking detail and with recessed mids, and I haven't got a clue what they are talking about. First rate headphone with exciting, neutralish sound, very adaptable/suited to different genres, with good soundstage and in my opinion amongst the best $300-$400 headphones.

May 30, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #6 of 21
Electronica. Strong empahsis on Electro, Electro Bass, Dance Punk, Techno, House, Garage, Industrial, Synthpop, plain old regular Pop from the radio, <--- in about that order... Also lots of "Mash-Up" music.

Heavy Empasis on synthesizer music, Electro, Techno.

Which flavour of Beyerdynamic 'can is best suited for those styles.

Oh, and from some reads on head-fi, I'm considering getting an Audio-gd Compass with the OPA-Earth OP-AMP Module to drive them.

I am accustomed to using the HeadRoom CosmicTraveler Amp via the Wall-Wart. I didn't really care for it. I want something blacker and more exciting and suited toward Electronic Music, which from what I read, the OPA-Earth module _is_.

Thoughts??

May 30, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pibborando:
No, and I believe that's part of the appeal (was for me). They're very neutral and detailed but at the same time smooooth with totally non-fatiguing highs.

What would you liken the highlight rendition to if comparing the treble and midtone and bass rendition to if comparing with a black and white photograph's rendition? Sorry if this is a confusing request, Its just that I kinda "imagine" music as a luminance map with bass as the blacks, treble as the highlights, and mids the grey tones comprising a high-, neutral-, or low-key "image". OH, and don't forget to mention which OHM version you're referring to, if amped/unamped, blahblah...

Grados, for instance the SR60, which I own, sound soft and neutral-key to me, with lots of grey, like a #2 filter grade on variable contrast black and white photo paper. Dull and disappointing. No punch. Too soft, feathery. No sparkle. But then I had for my first high-fi IEM the etymotic ER*4-S...

My top IEM is the Victor HP-FX500 which is really smooth, rounded, and range-ey... full of bass as well, and well layered.

Below them, are the next tier of equal-level IEM to my Ear. For treble-oriented sound rendition: the Phonak Audeo PFE w/ grey filters & Shure Olive foam tips/sleeves. For mid-oriented sound rendition: the Sleek Audio SA-6 with the ++ treble tips, and a modified (cut open) bass + port. For bass-oriented sound rendition: the JVC HA-FX300R (modified with Speaker Diaphragm Fabric to replace the filter material). Those are all on the same quality and rendition "plane" to my Ear, however just "Different" in rendition. Amped and UnAmped.

I would put the Grado SR60 at the Bottom of MY barrel of "fish" (meaning headphones in my collection) The v-moda bass freq is a more effective at the style I think of when I hear people describe the "Grado Sound". Sorry if that bothers some folks, it IS my perception, and I am a recovering Speaker Whore. (I have listened to loudspeakers too close at concerts in the past) but I have exceptional hearing despite this.

With this in mind, I'm mostly curious about how you (and any of the other articulate readers) would describe the Beyerdynamic DT880 treble highs and mids in extensive, articulate detail...

I've had it suggested to look into the DT880 for myself as my first SERIOUS big can. I'm considering getting the Manufaktur custom build sent to Moon Audio for the Detachable Cable Mod recabling, and a set of the 'Dragons. I'm extremely "moody" with regard to my preference for rendition.

I find myself switching between my 3 portable headphone amps: the iBasso T4, the FiiO E5, and the *giggle* Boostaroo Revolution 4-channel (which isn't as terrible as I'd have expected) for different "sounds" and between the 2 interconnects I own, an iBasso CB01 Flat Silver Interconnect, and a Moon Audio Black Dragon Interconnect, and even running a pair or trio of amps in daisy chain to colour the sound of my IEMs.

I'm still developing my palette and Ear. However I know I've found what I'm looking for with IEMs, and sometimes am looking for a more relaxed type of listening (i.e. non-insertive, regular 'Can type of headphone listening) and I am also interested in hearing what 5 Hz to 35 kHz sounds like... especially the 5 Hz "floor" with a lot of layering and lots of presence in the mids with seperation galore, and well modeled "bass-ey" treble; if there is such a thing.

Here's the Permalink to the "Which Beyerdynamic 'Phone is right for ME thread"

I'm considering a Beyerdynamic Full Sized Headphone, but which model???

HAVE FUN! and thanks for reading / replying!!

May 30, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by FLACvest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Electronica. Strong empahsis on Electro, Electro Bass, Dance Punk, Techno, House, Garage, Industrial, Synthpop, plain old regular Pop from the radio, <--- in about that order... Also lots of "Mash-Up" music.

Heavy Empasis on synthesizer music, Electro, Techno.

FWIR, sound to me like some DT770 - 600 ohms.Just look for the best amplification for it and IMO these should suit you well. If i could'n audition, it would be my choice for those genre.

Jun 15, 2009 at 10:59 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rakooon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIR, sound to me like some DT770 - 600 ohms.Just look for the best amplification for it and IMO these should suit you well. If i could'n audition, it would be my choice for those genre.

Thank You Rakooon! Cute handle! yes I do see that this model has a "Bass Reflex" component in the design, and that the Beyerdynamics are known for being well, bass-ey, which makes them suitable for Moi, so although I like open sound in speakers and in my IEM, I even modified a pair of v-moda bass-freq by coring out the port area on the rear shell to be "open" and love absolutely love the sound from them... I think you hit the nail on the head, and maybe I will have to go with this model.

The beauty of the Dragon Series, is that, accordin to Drew, they have interchangable cables, so they in essence have interchangable HEADPHONES too! Yeah, you can get the whole DTxxx series if you can afford them and then EQ your music not just with the cables but with the phones. Pretty cool if you ask me.

Now if only I can find a place in the South Bay (SF Bay Area) that carries the Beyerdynamic DTxxx series headphones to try out... that's the catch. Play a little "Doctor" from Orbital's 'The Altogether' (Disc One) release via FLAC on my COWON O2PMP with the iBasso T4 amp in pre-amp mode for the FiiO E5 (since I don't have an audio-gd compass or other 600 ohm capable amp yet).

In Other news, my neighbor plans on kicking down a Stereo Receiver to Moi, since he never used it, so Lucky Me it is New Old stock!! Pioneer I think! so maybe that will werk out well!

Anyway, I JUST WANTED TO THANK EVERYONE who responded to my "Quest for Beyerdynamism" thread!!! Too Sweet of all y'all.

Jun 15, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #10 of 21
I vote for the DT880/600 from Moon-Audio stock cable tbh.
$319.

DT880/600 is better than the DT880 '03 and is the best DT880 version out there tbh.
When I buy the HP-FX500 (most likely tomorrow, no point buying it now due to bank clearance times) and you buy the DT880/600 = we can have our own little club! :p

My impression of DT880/600 vs. DT880 '03 here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bey...thread-429371/

Underappriciated due to lack of supply of these beauties tbh. If you are going to buy a Beyerdynamic and have a decent amp, then get the DT880/600!

Jun 15, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rakooon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Agreed. I think you should give the 770/600 a try. I've owned the DT770/80, DT990/250 and finally had a 770/250 for a while, sold it, and then regretted selling before it went out to the buyer! For the genres you mentioned, some of which are close to what I listen to, the 770/250 or 600 won't fail you imo. The 990/250 I had for a while had decent bass, but the highs/sibilance got to me. I suppose a recable or the 600ohm version might help it, but it was far more to a degree than the 770/250 which just had a tab bit more treble. Make sure to get Maufaktur leather pads; improves the bass and brings up the comfort level as well.

Haven't heard the '05 880s yet; by all accounts it sounds interesting esp. the 600ohm--which I've been considering as a future alternative to try out. But I fear I've been spoiled silly by the 770s bass and my K601s cater to my 'open' headphone listening needs quite well.

Jun 20, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by brn80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed. I think you should give the 770/600 a try. I've owned the DT770/80, DT990/250 and finally had a 770/250 for a while, sold it, and then regretted selling before it went out to the buyer! For the genres you mentioned, some of which are close to what I listen to, the 770/250 or 600 won't fail you imo. The 990/250 I had for a while had decent bass, but the highs/sibilance got to me. I suppose a recable or the 600ohm version might help it, but it was far more to a degree than the 770/250 which just had a tab bit more treble. Make sure to get Maufaktur leather pads; improves the bass and brings up the comfort level as well.

Haven't heard the '05 880s yet; by all accounts it sounds interesting esp. the 600ohm--which I've been considering as a future alternative to try out. But I fear I've been spoiled silly by the 770s bass and my K601s cater to my 'open' headphone listening needs quite well.

@brn80: How was the dT770/250 ohm??? I ask cuz I would then be able to use them with an iBasso D10 Cobra which I would like to pick up... then all my IEM and the Cans would all be cohesive. Otherwise its going to be a triple setup and lots and lots of cash... with portable rigs.. medium rig... and a tube amp...... i dunno if i can do all that within the next 2 to 3 yrs.

Jun 20, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #13 of 21
For sure MANUFAKTUR is the way to go, direct from the beyer german site (larger range of color choices if you care), the u.s. site (pay in dollars instead of euros), or from moon-audio, officially recognized by beyer USA (I personally verified this with execs at beyer).

Drew does great re-cable jobs, as does Larry at headphile. Drew has re-cabled a number of my phones, but my 770/600 and 880/600 both from the german beyer MANUFAKTUR site were done by Larry. I am sure you would be happy with either -- Drew has the direct deal, with Larry you take delivery yourself and re-ship.

Go balanced if you can drive them this way. Makes a difference IMO. You wind up with some of the finest dynamic HPs possible. Amazing SQ with a strong balanced amp that can handle the 600 ohms.

I use the 770/600 when I want the isolation of a closed phone, otherwise I choose the 880/600. I have never attempted to A/B them, but what a great idea -- we will do this at the NJ Meet July 25. You probably don't want to wait that long, but I will make it very scientific, using the QES 600-ohm dual HP amp with level matching.

Sorry I can't do it earlier -- this next month is a disaster for me timewise.

With the QES both (balanced) HPs are being driven at the same time with identical amps, but each has its own attenuator so we can match levels. The tester can quickly switch between phones right during the same musical passage. And it was designed for 600 ohms. ( see QES HPBA2TC ).

Will report -- but you can't go wrong with either of these great HPs!

Jun 20, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #14 of 21
DT880/600Ohm is probably the only worthy model in Beyerdynamic lineup. Manufaktur is the way to go, Beyer has some serious QC issues with regular 600Ohm.

Nov 16, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #15 of 21
I've seen a lot of talk about the 250 and 600 ohms versions... but has anyone had any experience with the 32 ohms beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium cans?

Looking to purchase a pair, but I'm not sure whether I should pick up the 32 version, which seem to be more pricier than a 250.

Any experiences with the 32 ohms?

On a side note, when and if I purchase these, I'll be 90% of the time driving them with a decent sound card via my PC. I'm not looking for iPod use at all really.... So shall I still proceed with a 32 version? Not to mention I currently do NOT have an amp, but may be looking to get one some time down the road.

Thanks fellas,
Greeink

Users who are viewing this thread

Back