I'm Letting Head-Fi Members Pick My Next Set of Headphones
Apr 14, 2009 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 109

jsaliga

Headphoneus Supremus
Step right up ladies and gentlemen and cast your vote. On Wednesday I will order a new set of headphones and you...not me...will decide what they will be.

I'm no rookie when it comes to cans. I have owned several: Grado RS-1, AKG-K701, Sennheiser HD650, and the Beyer DT-880. I have since sold them all off and it's time to get something new. I want to end up with two sets of phones, one closed and another open. This poll will be for the closed cans and it will be followed up with one for the open phones.

Why am I putting such an important decision up to a public vote? Mainly because I have spent all the time I am willing to invest researching these choices, and my findings are that there is no clear winner (there seldom is in the audio world so this did not surprise me). My budget is up to $1,000 but I am not necessarily looking to spend that much money. In short, if I pick the phones then given the undecided nature of my research one pick is as good as any other pick as far as I am concerned. Secondly, I thought it would be fun if you folks got to make the decision for me.

With all that said, please vote for the cans you would want for yourself and don't try to deduce what you think I would want. If I end up not liking what I buy I promise I won't blame you. Given that I found something to recommend every set of cans I have owned so far I think a flat rejection by me of anything in this poll his highly unlikely.

Have fun and thanks for the help.
biggrin.gif

--Jerome

Apr 14, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #2 of 109
DT48.

EDIT:
Where's the poll?

Apr 14, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #5 of 109
I have some W5000's on the way
smily_headphones1.gif
So i can give you my opinion this week or next.

Apr 14, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #6 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ishcabible /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT48.

EDIT:
Where's the poll?

Patience my friend.
smily_headphones1.gif
It took me a minute to enter all the poll choices.

--Jerome

Apr 14, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #7 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Townyj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have some W5000's on the way
smily_headphones1.gif
So i can give you my opinion this week or next.

I hope to have my new headphones by next week.
biggrin.gif
But please do feel free to share your impressions with the community.

--Jerome

Apr 14, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #8 of 109
I picked the DX700, but I really want more people in the DT48 club, but I'm guessing you wouldn't like them, looking at the choices...

Was I really that fast?

Apr 14, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #9 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Patience my friend.
smily_headphones1.gif
It took me a minute to enter all the poll choices.

--Jerome

They are not to everyones taste..Flat and VERY transparent. I voted W5000 for the great 3D imaging and detail.

Apr 14, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #10 of 109
Quote:

I hope to have my new headphones by next week.
biggrin.gif
But please do feel free to share your impressions with the community.

--Jerome

I'll try get my impression's to you this week if they end up arriving.
smily_headphones1.gif
If not them im sure you will end up with a great pair of phone's looking at your current list of choice's.

I'd personally like to try the DX700 and D7000 next if i dont find the W5000 what im after.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #11 of 109
Quote:

Was I really that fast?

Yeah but don't sweat it. I clicked the start new thread button and then was taken to the poll screen and I cut and pasted the choices out of Notepad and clicked submit and there your post was. I thought to myself "Dang, if only the IRS would get tax refunds out that fast."
biggrin.gif

--Jerome

Apr 14, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #12 of 109
Quote:

I picked the DX700, but I really want more people in the DT48 club, but I'm guessing you wouldn't like them, looking at the choices...

Was I really that fast?

You might not like them either. But with only 6 current owners we do need some more.

Apr 14, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #13 of 109
Quote:

Yeah but don't sweat it. I clicked the start new thread button and then was taken to the poll screen and I cut and pasted the choices out of Notepad and clicked submit and there your post was. I thought to myself "Dang, if only the IRS would get tax refunds out that fast."
biggrin.gif

--Jerome

Haha the miracle of the refresh button!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might not like them either. But with only 6 current owners we do need some more.

Here's hoping!

Apr 14, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #14 of 109
And naturally when this poll is over and I have my new phones there will need to be a follow up post to critique the judgment of head-fiers in making their selection.
wink.gif

This poll is getting a great response so far and I am a little surprised by the early vote. It should get interesting.

--Jerome

Apr 14, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #15 of 109
I picked the D7000. I have the D5000 and have been demoing the D7000 both with full markl mods and cabling. The D7000 does everything just a little bit better. Since I'm spending your money, I would definitely go for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back