In temporary mourning
Jul 25, 2001 at 4:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16
Now this is customer service (especially when I didn't even buy the unit in question -- I won it). I received an e-mail today from Danny (HeadRoom's chief designer, and the cat who led the latest redesign and update of the HeadRoom amp line) to let me know that if I sent my beloved pre-production 2001-model Max back, he'd upgrade the modules and make the necessary tweaks to get it to the state of the actual production units. If I said in any of my posts at HeadWize that the Max I received was the exact same as the units that would eventually be shipping, I apparently misspoke, as sometime between the creation of my pre-production unit and the final development of the actual production units, improvements were made. That Danny contacted me unsolicited to let me know this -- and to offer the upgrade if I sent it back -- was very cool, especially considering that, again, I didn't pay a penny for this amp.

The Max I had was, prior to shipping it off, a very key part of a headphone hi-fi rig that has provided me with some of the best musical reproduction I've ever heard. To think that these changes will likely make it better is beyond imagination. I'll report back with any improvements/changes I hear upon its return.

In the meantime, I'm in a state of temporary mourning over the temporary loss of my Max. But, if all works out as planned, it's all for the better!

In its place in my home system now is a cmoy/Hansen/Apheared-type portable amp built by Head-Fi member/moderator JMT for me. Some of the recordings I listen to benefit big-time from crossfeed, so I pop in the Total Airhead for those recordings. With these two fine portable amps, I'll survive. But I'll still be waiting on pins and needles for the return of my Max, as I've heard nothing else like it.

Jul 25, 2001 at 4:54 PM Post #2 of 16
Hmm...I hate to play devil's advocate but is this some sort of subliminal adverstising?

Sorry...it just hit me the wrong way I suppose, since you run/maintain this site.

*shuts up*

- pearle

Jul 25, 2001 at 5:09 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by pearle
Hmm...I hate to play devil's advocate but is this some sort of subliminal adverstising?

Sorry...it just hit me the wrong way I suppose, since you run/maintain this site.

*shuts up*

- pearle

Why don't you make yourself clearer, pearle? Because what I posted is what it is -- not a subliminal ad. I won a 2001-model Max. It sounds fantastic (ask other Max owners if they like theirs). It was a pre-production unit. I was contacted by Danny with the offer to return it to get it upgraded to full production status. He said I'll likely think it better upon its return (improved imaging and presence versus the pre-production modules and settings I had). I sent it back to take advantage of this offer (who wouldn't?). I now miss my amp.

For your information, HeadRoom has not put a penny into Head-Fi. And any ads that are run, now or in the future, will be fully understood to be ads. And if and when they do become sponsors, then it will be clearly posted that they are sponsors. And if and when they (or any other company) do sponsor the site, I won't withhold praise when it's due, just as I wouldn't withhold criticism when it's due.

I've posted here and on HeadWize a lot in the last several months. I don't think I've said or done anything that should call my honesty or integrity into question (and if anyone thinks so, let's talk about it here in this thread). I mention over and over again that I love the Denon DCM-370. The Sony MDR-V6's. The Sony MDR-7506's. The Sony SCD-C333ES. The Tara Labs RSC Reference Gen 2 interconnects. And many other pieces of equipment. None of what I've posted now, nothing I've posted in the past, and nothing I'll post in the future -- will be for the purpose of subliminally advertising anything or anyone.

Jul 25, 2001 at 5:13 PM Post #4 of 16
I apologize for my statements and I guess I was, in fact, out of line for questioning your integrity in this manner.

Hope you get your amp back soon!

Again, I apologize,

- pearle

Jul 25, 2001 at 5:24 PM Post #5 of 16
Well, I think that the plan on Headroom's part was to out them in a good light for the rest of us, which is good after that whole Jan bit.

But for the record, Jude won the Max in a very hard headphone naming contest, cause he's a freak
wink.gif
for all you newbies. Headroom didn't just give it to him so that he could kiss their asses, if that's what you think.

Jul 25, 2001 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 16
Actually...I've been catching on to the freak part....the RCA plugs...Sorbothane feet and what not...hmmm...
wink.gif

The scary part is that I'm sure I'll eventually end up being just as bad.....

- pearle

Jul 25, 2001 at 5:39 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
Well, I think that the plan on Headroom's part was to out them in a good light for the rest of us, which is good after that whole Jan bit.

Actually, I don't think there was any master plan at work here, guys. If you must know, I've been e-mailing Danny, asking him some questions over the last couple of weeks, so we've been communicating privately. He made some improvements to the amps since he made my pre-production unit, and mentioned in one of his e-mail replies to me that he would get my unit to production status if I wanted (again, this was unsolicited -- I didn't ask for this). He described the changes he has made since, and described how the changes/adjustments would affect the sonic qualities of my unit. Based on what he described, I took him up on it.

Simple as that.

As KR stated, if Danny's actions constitute good PR, so be it. But I don't think it was Danny's intention at all. Danny and I have never discussed anything at all business related. Always purely technical in nature.

Jul 25, 2001 at 6:09 PM Post #8 of 16
Now that I think about it, is there even any other amp that would compare to the max?

I know theres the orpheus and electrostatics, but I'm talking within a reasonable price range here...

Jul 25, 2001 at 6:33 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

jude said...

... Simple as that. ...

Sheesh, there's not always a hidden meaning behind what somebody says. jude has done nothing wrong, give him a break.

Quote:

massappeal85 said...

Now that I think about it, is there even any other amp that would compare to the max? I know theres the orpheus and electrostatics, but I'm talking within a reasonable price range here...

Depends on your musical preference. The Sugden Headmaster is supposedly a very transparent solid-state amp. On the tube side, you've got the Earmax Pro, MicroZotl, and a little higher are some Cary headphone amps.

Jul 25, 2001 at 8:25 PM Post #10 of 16
I don't think its subliminal advertizing on Jude's part, but it's definitely smart marketing from Headroom's point of view. Jude is very important to them no doubt.

Jul 25, 2001 at 8:43 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
I don't think its subliminal advertizing on Jude's part, but it's definitely smart marketing from Headroom's point of view. Jude is very important to them no doubt.

Oy.....you guys.....

This was between me and Danny. Period. I get the impression that Danny simply takes pride in his work and doesn't want something out there with his name on it that is somehow sub-standard (the production unit they recently started shipping is the standard). As far as marketing, I don't think Tyll even knows how to market subtly. Again, Danny and I have been e-mailing back and forth, just two geeks talking tech, not business.

Nevertheless, I am going to review my 2001-model Max, and it's probably better that I review what's actually shipping, rather than a one-off that sounds different than what can actually be bought.

And I don't think I'm any more important to HeadRoom than any other potential customer for them in this community.

Jul 25, 2001 at 9:12 PM Post #13 of 16
I've gotta cheer this thread up by being COMPLETELY off topic for a second...

Jude... You're slipping mate... Shouldn't you be 500+ by now??

lol
smily_headphones1.gif

Peace and tranquility to all... live fast, die young, and love headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 26, 2001 at 2:36 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Hey KR, do the tubes come with the cool glove? I bet that's great for the back-handed smacks.

Only if I buy them. Oh btw, that tube company has nothing to do with me, I just thought it was funny that there was a Hi-Fi company named KR!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back