Introducing HIFIMAN AUDIVINA--New Closed-Back Planar Headphones!
Feb 23, 2023 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 119
Introducing HIFIMAN AUDIVINA
A Closed-Back Headphone Designed for Studio Pros and Hobbyists
2023.2.23 Audivina.jpg

The new AUDIVINA is a closed-back planar headphone that relies on HIFIMAN’s Stealth Magnets to enable sound waves to pass through the magnets without generating interference. The advanced magnet design is acoustically transparent, dramatically reducing reflections that degrade the integrity of the sound waves, yielding only pure sonic output that is
accurate.

“When we first developed Stealth Magnets, I knew the design holds tremendous value for the pro audio market,” said Dr. Fang Bian, President, and CEO, HIFIMAN Electronics. “The complete lack of interference guarantees accurate reproduction, so crucial when recording and mixing music. Of course, audiophiles will appreciate listening to music on AUDIVINA for exactly the same reason.”

AUDIVINA features a resonance chamber inspired by the acoustical architecture of the Beyreuth Festival Theater in Germany, famous for multi-stage attenuation that contributes to the listener hearing a wide, detailed soundstage in a small, enclosed space. Sound takes a circuitous route through the chamber, creating a wide soundstage beyond what is typically associated with similarly priced products.

AUDIVINA’s ergonomic headband is constructed of high-precision CNC (computer numerical control) metal that is hand-polished for the ideal combination of comfort and durability. The cable socket is designed to ensure contact resistance remains low with no audible effect on the signal path. Earpads are manufactured from eco-friendly, silky leatherette material. Sonics and comfort are maximized for hours-long listening sessions.

Specifications:
Frequency response: 5Hz-55kHz
Impedance: 20Ω
Sensitivity: 97dB
Weight: 470 grams/16.57 ounces.

Accessories:
Single-end 3.5mm cable (1.5m) *1
XLR balanced cable (3m) *1
Single-end 6.35mm cable (3m) *1

AUDIVINA will be available in March at a suggested retail price of $1,999.

Where to purchase:
HIFIMAN online store: http://store.hifiman.com/
HIFIMAN's authorized dealers: https://hifiman.com/dealers#

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Feb 24, 2023 at 4:06 AM Post #3 of 119
They seem to be getting better at closed backs, reviews of the Sundara closed weren't that great though. Had up to the Arya, at that price will have to see some trusted reviews though.

Feb 24, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #4 of 119
Looking great. I was saving for HE-R10P but now I might look at this as it's much cheaper.

I'm loving Svanar.
I'm in the same boat, saving for R10P, but if this turns out to be good, I might go for this instead of R10P ... price is definitely much more appealing.

Feb 25, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #5 of 119
Looks nice. Wonder how it compares to the R7 and Arya Stealth.

Feb 26, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #7 of 119
Honestly I’m starting to get a bit overwhelmed with options. I’m a big HFM fan, and I already own the HEKse, the Arya Stealth and Edition XS. And for the past two months I’ve had my eye glued to the new HEK V2 Stealth—but now I wake up to this new distraction in a similar price point. I’ve never seen a headphone manufacturer flood the market with four figure flagships like this—we now have the Susvara, the HEK, the HEKV2 Stealth, the HEKse, the R10P and D, the Shangri La Sr. and Jr, the Arya Stealth and now this.

I do see the market justification for this Audivina—their oval pad line is very popular (and to my ears, preferred over their round pad line by a wide margin), and this is their first foray into a closed back with that configuration. From all I’ve read about the R10P, its performance is not justified by its cost (which is my view on the Susvara—I auditioned it beside the newer HEKse and original HEK V2, and both of these less costly oval pad flagships impressed me immeasurably over the now seven year old $6,000 Susvara, particularly in terms of bass performance and sensitivity).

I’m certainly hopeful that the Audivina will follow a similar pattern. To me the intervening years of innovation should allow us access to the pinnacle of performance at progressively lower costs.

Either way, for me closed back headphones are all about the bass. We’ll have to see how well this Audivina’s new driver innovation handles soundstage—only the Dan Clark Stealth has convinced me thus far that a closed back configuration can achieve a near-open back proscenium.

But the whole principle of HFM’s Stealth Magnet and window shade grilles is to offer the least amount of mechanical obstruction possible to the movement of air—and if I’m going to accept enclosing all that technology behind a block of wood, then I want some serious low end punch, fullness and warmth in return.

I think that to date, the greatest product HFM has yet brought to market is the HEKV2. Crinacle ranks it third from the top of all time (behind Stax’s electrostatic flagship and the Susvara) and I can clearly see why. It manages to provide the ultimate in comfort, soundstage, an unbelievably exciting and physical bass slam and absolutely fatigue-free tuning right out of the box.

The HEKse bests it in detail retrieval, but at the expense of all of these qualities—it would have been perfect if it just wasn’t so damn bright. I’ve wondered myriad times whether I made the wrong choice. That’s why I’ve been so excited to hear the V2’s Stealth version—I have had hopes that it’ll bring the V2’s detail retrieval close enough to the HEKse to put my quest for the ultimate end game headphone to rest.

I don’t know what to make of this Audivina quite yet, but at first glance it is tempting as a new oval pad option with the potential to be a new authority on both planar bass slam and fun factor that have eluded me for so long as a fan of primarily rock genres. If it is going to entice me away from the HEKV2 Stealth (which already outperforms most closed backs in bass response and quality), we’ll first have to see if they managed to get the tuning right this time. If any of you out there manage to get your hands on one, I’m eager to hear your impressions!

Feb 27, 2023 at 1:38 AM Post #8 of 119
I’ll do my best to grab a listen here shortly! I’m curious too

IMG-1869.jpg

Comfortable, a little fun, and overall an excellent listen! With strong but not overbearing bass, good clarity, and sparkle. Listened to a little Eva Cassidy and really loved how well-layered the presentation was & how precisely it presented the acoustics of the room that beautiful record was recorded in!

Great pairing with our GS-X Mini & the iFi ZENdac Signature v2.

Mar 3, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #9 of 119
I wonder how it compares with the Sundara closed.

No, seriously.

Mar 4, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #10 of 119
I tried these at CanJam so take this for what it's worth. I thought that they were impressive in most areas, but with one glaring weakness. The bass, imaging, and soundstage was excellent. It's a fun tuning which I liked. The one area I personally found an issue with is that it's too hot in the treble regions.

Mar 4, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #11 of 119
Mar 4, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #13 of 119
Mar 4, 2023 at 9:24 PM Post #14 of 119
I would go with the DCA Stealth not because it is perfect but, because it achieves tremendous amount of detail without being bright, and it is what I perceive to be my personal issue with the headphones in question. To me seems like treble is upped to increase the perception of detail. My preference would be a cross between the DCA Stealth and the Susvara. Susvaras leaning more to the brighter side for me, but not annoyingly so, and the DCA Stealth leaning towards the darker side, but with no apparent loss in detail.

Mar 5, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #15 of 119
I'm glad that Hifiman is coming out with more closed-backs, but the closed-back Sundara's underwhelming reception tells me that smacking wooden cups on a planar headphone, raising the price, and doing little else with it doesn't make for a particularly compelling product. :frowning2: (I recognize this is not being billed as a "closed-back Arya" or whatever, so it will be interesting to see what is different about it).

Unfortunately as someone who's treble sensitive (but does like the Sundara and the Edition XS) I doubt this will be for me, but I'll be keeping an eye on it and will be interested to see the reviews.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back