Introducing Shanling EC Mini - Transportable CD Player & DAP
Dec 16, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #106 of 164
So after some more experiementing a few more items to note:

1. There are two usb c ports on the back of the unit. One is for the DAC and USB audio out function and the second is a charge port. The DAC/USB Audio out port DOES NOT seem to charge the unit, so if you have this in a permanent setup make sure you're using one cable to keep the unit charged and the second for your DAC/USB Audio out function.

2. If the batteries are completely drained, you can plug in the USB Charge cable and it will still power on the unit. In other words the charge capabilities are higher then the battery drain, which is a good thing.

In terms of sound quality, it sounds really good to me. Does anyone know how to record USB Audio directly into the PC, i.e. plug the device to a USB port on your PC and use Audacity to record the CD to your hard drive? If anyone has information on this please let me know. I will likely post in a separate forum on here more dedicated to that subject as well.

Dec 24, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #107 of 164
I have now had the EC Mini for about 8 weeks. Thank you @Shanling. I am enjoying my CD’s once again. I have bought about 15 more in the last 8 weeks. Some CD’s tell a story and take you on a journey when you listen to the whole album from start to end. When the music is so good and the bass is thumping and you have a glass of your favourite beverage, everything else takes a back seat.

The EC Mini has overtaken my DAP in terms of use and bringing a smile to my face.

Here are a few gripes.
1) When loading the CD, the EC Mini makes a little bit too much noise.
2) Where is my album art? This is a first world problem, but seriously, I would really love to see the album art for the CD I am playing.
3) I would pay $30 more to have an internet connection of some sort to deal with software updates and problem 2 above.

Other than than, I am so happy with the EC Mini.

Dec 25, 2023 at 11:49 PM Post #108 of 164
I have now had the EC Mini for about 8 weeks. Thank you @Shanling. I am enjoying my CD’s once again. I have bought about 15 more in the last 8 weeks. Some CD’s tell a story and take you on a journey when you listen to the whole album from start to end. When the music is so good and the bass is thumping and you have a glass of your favourite beverage, everything else takes a back seat.

The EC Mini has overtaken my DAP in terms of use and bringing a smile to my face.

Here are a few gripes.
2) Where is my album art? This is a first world problem, but seriously, I would really love to see the album art for the CD I am playing.
3) I would pay $30 more to have an internet connection of some sort to deal with software updates and problem 2 above.

How really transportable is it? Can you use it as a carry around cd player? Thanks

Dec 28, 2023 at 5:16 AM Post #110 of 164
I agree, with the addition that you can use it in the car, or in a coffee shop etc. Shanling have included software so that the unit will switch on when the ignition starts.
For wallking or jogging I would go with the M0 or M3 Ultra players.

Dec 28, 2023 at 6:20 AM Post #111 of 164

Here are a few gripes.

Is there any CD player that's not on your computer that downloads cover art automatically? Even my SR35 requires me to upload my cover art or have proper meta tags. If it had wifi and streaming I think it would cost more than an additional $30, but that would be cool.

Dec 28, 2023 at 8:09 AM Post #112 of 164
Is there any CD player that's not on your computer that downloads cover art automatically? Even my SR35 requires me to upload my cover art or have proper meta tags. If it had wifi and streaming I think it would cost more than an additional $30, but that would be cool.
No there isn’t. I use EAC and a paid for external cd information service. It cost me like £7 or something.

Jan 4, 2024 at 5:36 AM Post #113 of 164
When playing music from my SD card, you get the album art. I wish it could do the same when playing CD’s.
IMG_0004.jpeg

Jan 4, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #114 of 164
When playing music from my SD card, you get the album art. I wish it could do the same when playing CD’s.IMG_0004.jpeg
I've been thinking about it, the only way they could do it would be to have a way to connect to the internet, grab the meta tag from the CD, then go to a database to download the cover art. For the SD card album images, I always download my album art for each album. Does the EC Mini put up album art for albums you didn't download the album art to the sd card? If so that's amazing.

Jan 4, 2024 at 8:03 PM Post #115 of 164
I've been thinking about it, the only way they could do it would be to have a way to connect to the internet, grab the meta tag from the CD, then go to a database to download the cover art. For the SD card album images, I always download my album art for each album. Does the EC Mini put up album art for albums you didn't download the album art to the sd card? If so that's amazing.
No, it's using embedded art or jpg in the same folder.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 13, 2024 at 8:20 AM Post #116 of 164
I have been looking for a portable CD player for a long time. In desperation I even bought a no-name Amtok CD player from Amazon, but no - it sounds worse than Spofify on my phone.

So I decided to try the EC Mini. The sound quality is sufficient, both with wired (Sennheiser 599) and wireless (Bose 700) headphones. The menu is a bit cumbersome, but I do not use it too often.

However, there is one very disappointing problem: audible short cracks between almost every track on the CD. This is especially noticeable with classical music.

I've read the entire thread and no one has mentioned this issue yet. So is this common, or is it a problem with my device?

Jan 13, 2024 at 7:16 PM Post #117 of 164
@Shanling

So, gapless CD playback isn't working. The CDs work fine on the ET3, but not the EC mini. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jan 13, 2024 at 7:41 PM Post #119 of 164
I really don't understand why a firmware upgrade won't fix this issue. Why can some players handle it and others can not is the question.
ET3 CD gapless works flawlessly.

Jan 14, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #120 of 164
@Shanling

It looks like the EC Mini reports .wav files to Eddict whereas the ET3 reports unknown format. Is the EC Mini reading the CD differently than the ET3?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back