Introducing Shanling M5 Ultra - High-End MTouch Portable Player at $589
Apr 28, 2024 at 2:46 AM Post #77 of 148
The Cayin doesn't even have a search capability nor a auto shut off 🙄 so many bugs aghhhhh
This is why I have a rule against buying any Chinese DAP's either on pre-order or early release. To much of a crapshoot on how many issues need to be fixed or features to be added. The money companies like Cayin raise from early release orders basically fund the troubleshooting process. They simply don't have the R&D budgets to do all the possible testing before they release the product. So the customer becomes the unwitting beta testers and troubleshooters for the finally ready for prime time product which as you know can take months and multiple firmware updates to finally get there if ever. I already have a full time job, at least for the next few months, I don't need another one that actually costs me money, "Uncompensated Beta Tester".

Apr 29, 2024 at 8:31 PM Post #78 of 148
Like to know how this unit compares sound wise to M6U?

I do wish output were spread more evenly among the three gain levels. Small increment between small and md, enormous disparity from mid to high. Wish mid gain were more in the middle of the three rather than skewed low end

Apr 29, 2024 at 9:22 PM Post #79 of 148
Like to know how this unit compares sound wise to M6U?

I do wish output were spread more evenly among the three gain levels. Small increment between small and md, enormous disparity from mid to high. Wish mid gain were more in the middle of the three rather than skewed low end
I also own the M6U. I'll be getting this as money permits. I have zero need for android. I think it will be an update sound wise. Should be anyways.

Apr 30, 2024 at 11:20 PM Post #80 of 148
This is why I have a rule against buying any Chinese DAP's either on pre-order or early release. To much of a crapshoot on how many issues need to be fixed or features to be added. The money companies like Cayin raise from early release orders basically fund the troubleshooting process. They simply don't have the R&D budgets to do all the possible testing before they release the product. So the customer becomes the unwitting beta testers and troubleshooters for the finally ready for prime time product which as you know can take months and multiple firmware updates to finally get there if ever. I already have a full time job, at least for the next few months, I don't need another one that actually costs me money, "Uncompensated Beta Tester".
Thats how I feel about the N3 Ultra.

On the flip side the M5 Ultra has been a absolutely pleasure to use and listen to.

This software is so much nicer than the M8 version. Absolutely love it.

And this thing is one powerful beast. I thought I switched the gain to high bit it was on low and was actually shocked on how powerful this DAP is!

May 1, 2024 at 12:37 AM Post #81 of 148
Thats how I feel about the N3 Ultra.

On the flip side the M5 Ultra has been a absolutely pleasure to use and listen to.

This software is so much nicer than the M8 version. Absolutely love it.

And this thing is one powerful beast. I thought I switched the gain to high bit it was on low and was actually shocked on how powerful this DAP is!
Yeah I have to say the more I look at it the more I like it. It is simply out of my price range at $800 CDN plus tax. Pity cause I can buy it locally unlike 90% of the other DAP's out there. I can also get the M1S locally and in my price range but hard to choose it over the R4 for close to the same price. For some reason even if I wanted to buy it I can't get the Cayin N3 Ultra on amazon.com which would be cheaper than the M5 Ultra. It won't ship to Canada and no local dealers are offering it. Hoping the R4 will end up on amazon.com.

May 1, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #82 of 148
Hello
I like the m5 ultra and considering to buy it just have some questions. Are play/pause and skip buttons active when in dac mode?

Does it drain the battery of the connected phone or only its own battery while in dac mode?

At the owners of m5 ultra does anyone have m6 ultra to compare? M6 ultra has lower power and bigger screen but android. I mostly listen to local files but also tidal. Tidal would be then from the connected phone or via hotspot while on the go.

When does the tidal playback will be available on the player?
Thanks in advance Jonathan

May 2, 2024 at 1:46 AM Post #83 of 148
I received my M5U yesterday. And I have to say I'm really impressed. The sound is really fantastic, beautifully full and warm with good bass. The sound reminds me a lot of the M8 I owned. The software also works perfectly as it seems. In any case, I didn't notice anything negative during my short test. Personally, I like the sound better than that of my Sony AM 2. I was hoping for such a full, warm sound with real meat on the bone from the Sony. In any case, the ie 600 sounds fantastic with the M5U and listening to music is finally fun again!! I'm going to burn it in for 200 hours now, that was just my first impression straight out of the box. I'm not sure what materials were used for the housing. When I tap on it with my fingernails, it somehow sounds like the back and the top and bottom sides are made of acrylic glass. It doesn't feel quite as high quality to me either. But the workmanship is good. And once it's in the leather case it will definitely feel better. So the sound is absolutely top and is on par with players that play on the flagship Nivaeu. You also have to take the price into account. In terms of sound, there are hardly any in this price range that can keep up.

Attachments

• M5U 1.jpeg
    M5U 1.jpeg
    873 KB · Views: 0
  • M5U 2.jpeg
    M5U 2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • M5U 3.jpeg
    M5U 3.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
May 2, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #84 of 148
Hello
I like the m5 ultra and considering to buy it just have some questions. Are play/pause and skip buttons active when in dac mode?

Does it drain the battery of the connected phone or only its own battery while in dac mode?

At the owners of m5 ultra does anyone have m6 ultra to compare? M6 ultra has lower power and bigger screen but android. I mostly listen to local files but also tidal. Tidal would be then from the connected phone or via hotspot while on the go.

In dac mode the play pause skip buttons don't work, and yes you can toggle a switch in the menu in dac mode to charge or not the dap. I tried my m5 ultra with all devices it has no issues in dac mode usb yet my iPhone 13 pro max some reasons don't work well sometimes it works most time it wont go into usb dac mode. My H5 has no problems so I cant say its my dongles or phone the issue... But with androids 0 problems.

No experience with m6 ultra if compared to H5 I'd say its good step up in sound and has almost flagship like sound! the difference vs h5 is slightly less bass slam but its not much less very similar, overall is like a more balance tuning and sounds more grandiose and well balanced yet so fun and awesome, has same warmth more gentle treble and a way more refined dac.

When you compare it to sony flagship wm1zm2 here the game is different yet so close! sony has more soundstage and expansive sound, very large room like a hall, when m5 ultra is a smaller room like, to me the extensions seems similar not so far apart just with sony you have a larger soundstage perception. m5 ultra also way more fun and warmer and faster, also very detailed more even sharper then sony's...

overall I like the m5 ultra more then my wm1zm2 and that's a personal choice honestly, I'd say sony for super hifi audiophile music and m5 ultra for edm and a very very good all arounder.

Hope that helps :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

May 2, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #85 of 148
Hello

Playback buttons cannot be used in DAC mode.

You can turn off the Charging in DAC mode on firmware V2.0.

M6 Ultra would be warmer sounding compared to M5 Ultra. I would personally say they are about the same sound quality, with the amps affecting how will they match with headphones.

Tidal was added with firmware V2.0.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
May 2, 2024 at 9:15 PM Post #86 of 148
What a pairing I love this DAP!

Attachments

• 20240502_171455.jpg
    20240502_171455.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240502_171724.jpg
    20240502_171724.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240502_164708.jpg
    20240502_164708.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
May 2, 2024 at 10:39 PM Post #88 of 148
So the M5 Ultra at $589 or the Cayin N3 Ultra at $529?

The N3 Ultra with tube amp is a heavily stripped down android DAP with no streaming. The M5 Ultra is a non-android DAP with limited streaming capability. The battery life between the two is close with the M5 Ultra having a small edge. Somehow I feel more confident in the Hiby audio optimized android OS than the Shanling MTouch OS. The N3 Ultra has a more powerful Snapdragon SOC. Having owned 2 Shanling MTouch DAP's I found the OS to be the weakest part of both DAP's. I am hoping Shanling has made some major improvements to the MTouch OS.
Did someone say Tube Amp and Cayin N3?

:L3000:

May 2, 2024 at 11:15 PM Post #89 of 148
So the M5 Ultra at $589 or the Cayin N3 Ultra at $529?

The N3 Ultra with tube amp is a heavily stripped down android DAP with no streaming. The M5 Ultra is a non-android DAP with limited streaming capability. The battery life between the two is close with the M5 Ultra having a small edge. Somehow I feel more confident in the Hiby audio optimized android OS than the Shanling MTouch OS. The N3 Ultra has a more powerful Snapdragon SOC. Having owned 2 Shanling MTouch DAP's I found the OS to be the weakest part of both DAP's. I am hoping Shanling has made some major improvements to the MTouch OS.

Since both are brand new and both releasing about the same time this seems like a good wait until Black Friday comparison with lots of reviews and user opinions to come in the interim I am sure along with some firmware updates.

The N3 Ultra is currently on the top of my list of most desired DAP's so it will take some really good M5 Ultra reviews for it to unseat the N3 Ultra.
Just a FYI the N3 Ultra is as far from warm, analog tubey sound as you can get.
What it is a very resolving, analytical clean and overall a fantastic sounding DAP, Right now the software is a crap show. Feels like Cayin is making the early buyers like me the beta testers.

The M5U feels like it's rated power is hugley under quoted , this thing is powerful. I still haven't determined if it's warmer than my M8 yet.

But pairing this DAP with energetic IEM'S or Headphones will work like magic 🎩

Right now with the NiceHCK Himalaya and the Elysian Acoustical Labs Pilgrim both sound amazing off the M5 U running Tidal and DSD Files.

Anyone worried about the M5 U can rest assured the user experience is fantastic one of the best I have used, over the A&K , Hiby , iBasso, Cayin for sure and a marked improvement over the version on my M8.

Attachments

• 20240502_171455.jpg
    20240502_171455.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
May 3, 2024 at 2:39 AM Post #90 of 148
Just a FYI the N3 Ultra is as far from warm, analog tubey sound as you can get.
What it is a very resolving, analytical clean and overall a fantastic sounding DAP, Right now the software is a crap show. Feels like Cayin is making the early buyers like me the beta testers.

The M5U feels like it's rated power is hugley under quoted , this thing is powerful. I still haven't determined if it's warmer than my M8 yet.

But pairing this DAP with energetic IEM'S or Headphones will work like magic 🎩

Right now with the NiceHCK Himalaya and the Elysian Acoustical Labs Pilgrim both sound amazing off the M5 U running Tidal and DSD Files.

Anyone worried about the M5 U can rest assured the user experience is fantastic one of the best I have used, over the A&K , Hiby , iBasso, Cayin for sure and a marked improvement over the version on my M8.
You are killing me here! I can't really afford the M5 Ultra but to quote the Godfather. "Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in". :rolling_eyes:

Let's see where we stand price wise come Black Friday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back