Introducing the ALO Rx AMP
Oct 22, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #31 of 148
Ken, I've had the amp for a few days now and I am extremely impressed! I've posted my initial impressions here.

Oct 23, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #32 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by KB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have about 25 portables here in my shop, when we were beta testing and tweaking I honestly found the Rx to be deeper more open and have more authority than any of the ones in the collection. The only amp that on par was the SR-71a, of course I guess I am bias
bigsmile_face.gif

ken

I'm really not trying to be difficult, this amp is VERY intriguing, but Ken's statement quoted above is confusing to me. Can I infer the Rx is as good as the SR-71a, or is it "better?" In other words, if I already own an SR-71a, would I be upgrading if I get the Rx?

I'm very tempted to order this amp, would love to hear how it stacks up against, say the Lisa III.

Oct 23, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #33 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeBlues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm very tempted to order this amp, would love to hear how it stacks up against, say the Lisa III.

proteuskim on another thread said the Rx "rivals" the Lisa III:

Quote:

The sound quality rivals the Lisa III although i think the Lisa still has more power. portability wise, the ALO Rx wins. Only amps i had to compare it with were the Lisa III and RSA Hornet M. I will never touch the Hornet M again.

You can read his impressions here.

Oct 24, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #34 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeBlues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really not trying to be difficult, this amp is VERY intriguing, but Ken's statement quoted above is confusing to me. Can I infer the Rx is as good as the SR-71a, or is it "better?" In other words, if I already own an SR-71a, would I be upgrading if I get the Rx?

I do not want to be confusing here or misleading. Ray Samuels is a amp making wizard. His products are the absolute most refined portables, both in sound and physical finish. As a consumer and user of audiophile products like everyone else here I am grateful that Ray has so much stuff for us all to enjoy, the headphone world is super lucky to have his talent in the mix.

Matt and I are very proud and happy with the Rx but do not want to come off as arrogant in anyway. Ray is a portable amp making legend.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Oct 24, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #35 of 148
Ken, thanks again! You know, it ain't braggin' if you can back it up!

Here's the thing, while I thought the SR71 was a very nice amp, to me (using UE11's and an iMod) I thought the SR71 was bettered by both the iQube and the Lisa III. The Lisa III was/is a LOT better, my opinion. (I also like the P-51 at least as much, maybe more.) So, I guess what I'd love to hear is that the Rx is *better* than the SR-71a, not bragging, just reporting the facts!

Oct 30, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #36 of 148
Well if Ken is doesn't want to say I will, the Rx is a breakthrough product and to my ears it takes the portable amp market to a new level. I've owned and LOVED both the Pico and SR71 (the original and my favorite RSA amp) and think they represent the best of what the portable amp world has to offer.

The Rx takes the former best in class sound quality of these amps and raises the bar in my opinion

here are some of my thoughts from a review I just completed

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/r...13-amp-453053/

Oct 30, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #37 of 148
I've had a little time with my new Rx now. 240gb 5.5 iMod, piccolino Black Gate LOD, Rx, JH 13s. I don't have a lot of experience with portable amps, but this sounds way better, immediately, than my iQube (which I really liked). Far more spacious, better instrument separation, better detail, faster, and especially tighter and more tonal bass. I never thought the iQube was veiled, but now I can tell that it is, slightly. I love how the Rx sounds.

It's a very nice object, too. It's not perfect - the endplate with the controls is slightly off-center on mine - but overall it's really nicely built. It's very thin and slightly larger in plan than my iPod; they fit very well together.

Great job, Ken.

Oct 30, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #38 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well if Ken is doesn't want to say I will, the Rx is a breakthrough product and to my ears it takes the portable amp market to a new level. I've owned and LOVED both the Pico and SR71 (the original and my favorite RSA amp) and think they represent the best of what the portable amp world has to offer.

The Rx takes the former best in class sound quality of these amps and raises the bar in my opinion

here are some of my thoughts from a review I just completed

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/r...13-amp-453053/

John,

Thank you so much for taking a listen, again Matt and I are really stoked over everyone's reaction and kind words.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Nov 2, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #39 of 148
We're still getting many questions asking if the Rx amp can drive a particular set of Cans/IEMs/etc, so I posted this video on YouTube of an Rx driving two 4 Ohm 12" subwoofers.

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I'd say it's pretty safe to assume that if the Rx can pound Metallica's Black album on two 12" subwoofers for over 18 hours without needing a recharge, it can pretty much handle any 'phone we throw at it (especially low impedance and multi-way designs).

Matt MacBeth
GR9 Technologies

Nov 2, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #40 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattmacbeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We're still getting many questions asking if the Rx amp can drive a particular set of Cans/IEMs/etc, so I posted this video on YouTube of an Rx driving two 4 Ohm 12" subwoofers.

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I'd say it's pretty safe to assume that if the Rx can pound Metallica's Black album on two 12" subwoofers for over 18 hours without needing a recharge, it can pretty much handle any 'phone we throw at it (especially low impedance and multi-way designs).

Matt MacBeth
GR9 Technologies

Rock'in! it goes to Eleven! I think it will drive my K701
confused_face.gif

Ken

Nov 2, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #41 of 148
haha...that is quite insane a setup Matt...Now I have been contemplating going for a portable rig and with 32ohm audio right around the corner, I have no excuses to not cehck it out.

Ken..I tried looking for store hours but couldn't find it anywhere. What are the store timings like on the weekends?

Nov 3, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #42 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha...that is quite insane a setup Matt...Now I have been contemplating going for a portable rig and with 32ohm audio right around the corner, I have no excuses to not cehck it out.

Ken..I tried looking for store hours but couldn't find it anywhere. What are the store timings like on the weekends?

Hey Sachu

The hours are 11-7 Saturday and 12-5 on Sunday. I have a mini to banana cable ready for the Rx at the store to push some speakers
normal_smile .gif

Ken

Nov 3, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #43 of 148
Just got my Rx... Charging for a few hours first.

Nov 3, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #44 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my Rx... Charging for a few hours first.

Wow that was fast!! Mine has to come over the pacific anyways. I so envy you right now haha.

Nov 3, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #45 of 148
I was impatient, and sprung for overnight shipping!
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back