Introducing the Audeze MM-500!
Mar 27, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #421 of 476
Did someone experience this:

IMG20230325112024.jpg

I was just using them ~5-6hrs per day since October, they never fell, never stretched. Clamp was never to hard on my head as other people say. I actually don't know when this started to happen it could be a month ago but I noticed just by accident.

Disappointed when I consider the price of the headphones even though I love the sound from them.

I understand I can order a replacement or send them back for fixing but I guess this will happen again soon.
Please contact support@audeze.com so we can assist you.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Mar 27, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #422 of 476
Yea, I like to use portable gear, so the power might be an issue - without eq it looks like 0.1w-1w should be plenty (110-120dB), which is doable with portable amps from either Topping, chord or iFi, but if I add another 10dB to that as headroom for the EQ, its suddenly 10w, which is a problem... With how much seemed in need of "fixing" in terms of tuning, I'm definitely going to need the 10dB extra.
I use a chord Hugo 2, have considered downsizing to the Mojo 2 but I still haven’t gotten around to comparing it with the Hugo. Nonetheless… while I can always get them loud enough it’s sometimes surprisingly high up on the volume knob when running EQ in tandem with specific tracks/albums.

As far as the bass presentation, I guess refined would be the nice word for it - but if its not enjoyable to listen to, no amount of semantics is going to make those 5000€ seem any more reasonable :p

I mean.. it’s kind of genre-dependant but if you listen to music that relies on the beat to be engaging (like most commercial music) then the tuning is not as fun as other options. For jazz, classical, live recordings, some types of metal/rock. Then the sheer neutrality “speed” and extension of the lcd-5/mm500 will be more of an asset.

Hopefully I get a chance to try them again, but with EQ. Or find a cheap MM500 as a middle point.

Honestly what I would do (and what I did) is look to the used market or try to find one b-stock and then you can just sell if it turns out it isn’t your thing.

I actually love my LCD-5. It ticks almost all of my “good headphone” boxes. It’s literally all I use now. I just wish it was somehow capable of delivering a little more bass impact at times.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #423 of 476
I use a chord Hugo 2, have considered downsizing to the Mojo 2 but I still haven’t gotten around to comparing it with the Hugo. Nonetheless… while I can always get them loud enough it’s sometimes surprisingly high up on the volume knob when running EQ in tandem with specific tracks/albums.

I mean.. it’s kind of genre-dependant but if you listen to music that relies on the beat to be engaging (like most commercial music) then the tuning is not as fun as other options. For jazz, classical, live recordings, some types of metal/rock. Then the sheer neutrality “speed” and extension of the lcd-5/mm500 will be more of an asset.

Honestly what I would do (and what I did) is look to the used market or try to find one b-stock and then you can just sell if it turns out it isn’t your thing.

I actually love my LCD-5. It ticks almost all of my “good headphone” boxes. It’s literally all I use now. I just wish it was somehow capable of delivering a little more bass impact at times.
For jazz and classical I found the tonality unimpressive but listenable, for metal it was sort grating, lacking body/heft, and electronic just kinda didn’t work. that said bass and soundstage are the main things I’m uncertain if I can fix EQ wise. Comfort/fit and detail seemed to be the main assets.
id generally agree with the buy cheap and try tactic, I’ve just been burned on Audezes a lot in the past - do we know if warranty is good/transferable on current models?

Mar 28, 2023 at 6:21 AM Post #424 of 476
For jazz and classical I found the tonality unimpressive but listenable, for metal it was sort grating, lacking body/heft, and electronic just kinda didn’t work. that said bass and soundstage are the main things I’m uncertain if I can fix EQ wise. Comfort/fit and detail seemed to be the main assets.
id generally agree with the buy cheap and try tactic, I’ve just been burned on Audezes a lot in the past - do we know if warranty is good/transferable on current models?

Warranty is still transferable!

Mar 28, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #425 of 476
Warranty is still transferable!
That’s good then - I’ve only heard the two in a demo at a dealer (with my own music, via the big DCS stack) and I gotta say it want immediately clear to me how big the differences were sonically (couldn’t really ab quickly), just that the 500 might have sounded a smidge less honky, but the 5 might be more detailed - though no clue if that was due to the even honkier sound.
I prefer the build and obviously price, if the MM500 so would be nice to be able to settle for that, but not if it’s significantly worse.

In terms of the snug fit etc they reminded me a lot of my HE400 with some aftermarket leather pads I got, which I love - so if after EQ they are like an upgrade to that, it’d be great.

Though the HE400 is better at bass weight than Audezes I’ve had, and lighter - but the 500 and 5 are getting close in weight by being a bit smaller I think.

Mar 31, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #426 of 476
A lower model, Audeze MM-100 is coming, apparently:

https://twitter.com/MaxSettingsYT/status/1641544823369785347

FsfwT-vWAAA7jAq.jpeg

Mar 31, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #428 of 476
Now the real question is whether the MM100 will be tuned like the Maxwell, or like MM500/LCD5
Probably closer to the Maxwell, IMO. It shares the headband looks like with the Maxwell. Also, only one side headphone cable.

May 5, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #430 of 476
can i ask please about the mm500, are the mids shouty like most reviewers say, I want to buy an audeze headphone, I heard the lcd5 and it was good, but I wonder that peak around 3Khz shout that be a concern. I love vocals and I do not want a headphone that is shouty

I heard the lcd xc and I liked it alot, so I am debating which one to get

May 5, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #431 of 476
can i ask please about the mm500, are the mids shouty like most reviewers say, I want to buy an audeze headphone, I heard the lcd5 and it was good, but I wonder that peak around 3Khz shout that be a concern. I love vocals and I do not want a headphone that is shouty

The mids felt a -little- shotty to me at first but after some break in they definitely have settled in and averaged out more. I couldn’t imagine using a different headphone now. They just walk a perfect line between clinical and entertaining for me. I am boost the low end by 3db with a shelf via the sonar works mm-500 profile. This also lets the mids set better relatively.

May 5, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #432 of 476

MM500 is marginally less shouty than LCD-5 but sounds fairly similar. To me they're both very shouty. And these were demo units, so assuming you care about "burn in" then that was done.

May 5, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #433 of 476
I can also agree that they are are pronounced around 3kHz but I had no problems with that, I wouldn't call it shouty, it is probably personal preference. I also like to add low shelf to about 4db under 80Hz which pronounces the already great sub-bass. For electronic music I find them phenomenal, I am affraid to throw money on more expensive headphones because I don't see what more enjoyment the new headphones can give me. For example I got Atriums for jazz funk and other "organic" music, but if I did blind test I would think that Atriums should cost 500$ not 2500$, when compared to mm500

May 5, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #434 of 476

My take..
Hi
I`ve first listened to the MM500 at the SoCal CanJam trough many ,mainly (Expensive ..like 30K!!) dac/amps,and without it
I was really hooked on how expressive and clear (main attribute I was looking for)
The MM500 doesn’t `t need too much but I settled which a liquid gold by Cavalli and kept the Audeze cables
Yes it peaks at a certain point (I guess that’s the nature of a very revealing headset)
So I wandered if a aftermarket cable would help
I got the GUCraftsman 16 strand 7N single crystal copper silver cable from Amazon and gave it a try
Top to bottom more chill (Intimate) and fuller sound mainly at the edge of the envelope
I’ve reached the sound signature of the MM500 I tried at the Can Jam
Mission accomplished
Still very revealing and clear
I think these cans are made to run in a professional grade studio equipment where cables and amps are not a factor
There’s magic in them,but you have to dig it out!
Stef

May 5, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #435 of 476

Not shouty at all in my book but comparing to a closed headphone is apples and oranges. These are my favorite headphones on my LTA MZ3 and are on my head more often than my Utopia, HD800s, or GS3000e. I chose them over the LCD-5 (and other Audeze models) after a long listen at Canjam and have not regretted the purchase. I listen to a lot of Jazz (Bass, Percussion, Live Venue), female vocal, and 70's tracks and can listen for hours without fatigue. I did not try the closed version but against the LCD-X there was a clear superiority in detail and balance that pushed me to the MM-500. I recall the clarity very apparent when comparing the two with Bill Evans' "Gloria's Step" gave the best ambiance in this live recording.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back