Introducing the the SMSL H300 Headphone Amplifier
Jun 7, 2023 at 10:05 PM Post #17 of 40
Looks like a HO200 Heretic/Heresy. L70 has more power on 32 ohms, but I might buy it to stack with my D300, 10W on 16ohms can floor several high efficiency speakers lol

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2023 at 2:16 AM Post #20 of 40
Is it just a rendering picture or a real one?
All real.. my own design including knobs.. CNC'ed in China out of one solid aluminium block

Jun 16, 2023 at 3:39 AM Post #23 of 40
I agree, it's a huge step backward. I'm currently testing an SP200 with the volume wheel wrapped with matte black vinyl wrap which looks factory and coats the slippery grooves to make it really nice. Also it's located away from all the jacks which is how all amplifiers should be designed. That wheel is ok if your fingers are the size of an elf and you never use the 6.5mm jack, otherwise epic fail.

Jun 30, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #25 of 40
I just got this (along with its paired DAC, the D300) to replace my old Topping A90D-D90SE stack, which is somewhat of a downgrade in terms of measured performance and build quality. It is mainly triggered by my A90D suddenly dying and having little budget for a replacement, plus now that I'm back working in office, I barely had time to use my home setup. The D300 having a Rohm DAC is also something different than what I have in the past.

The H300 is largely neutral, very similar to my A90D based on my memory. Most of colouration from D300 is passed through unaltered by H300, especially when I A/B it with my D90SE using H300. The volume pot of the H300 is usable with good balance. I admit it could be better, but those who own Schiit amps would find it quite familiar tbh.

Overally, I'm pretty satisfied with my new stack.

Jun 30, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #26 of 40
I'm glad that Inscythe is satisfied with a small knob. My SMSL SH-6 has a good-size knob with ribbing, so it's not like all SMSL products have a small knob.

Who has the biggest knob on average? JDS Labs?

Jun 30, 2023 at 10:30 PM Post #27 of 40
I'm glad that Inscythe is satisfied with a small knob. My SMSL SH-6 has a good-size knob with ribbing, so it's not like all SMSL products have a small knob.

I'm commenting more about the potentiometer inside of it, especially coming from an excellent R2R relay volume control of A90D. It has good resistance and very little play. However, I honestly would also prefer it to have a larger knob.

Jun 30, 2023 at 10:41 PM Post #28 of 40

Violectric V281/V220. Really big knobs. I know that sounds like a smutty joke, but in reality, it means the volume pot is almost as big as a desk clock ... it's readable. Easy to see how far you're turning it up or down.

I have the V281, would happily pick up a V220.

Jun 30, 2023 at 10:42 PM Post #29 of 40
I just got this (along with its paired DAC, the D300) to replace my old Topping A90D-D90SE stack, which is somewhat of a downgrade in terms of measured performance and build quality. It is mainly triggered by my A90D suddenly dying and having little budget for a replacement, plus now that I'm back working in office, I barely had time to use my home setup. The D300 having a Rohm DAC is also something different than what I have in the past.

The H300 is largely neutral, very similar to my A90D based on my memory. Most of colouration from D300 is passed through unaltered by H300, especially when I A/B it with my D90SE using H300. The volume pot of the H300 is usable with good balance. I admit it could be better, but those who own Schiit amps would find it quite familiar tbh.

Overally, I'm pretty satisfied with my new stack.

So the sound is similar to A90D, able to compare your experiences with the H300 more? I also have a D300 at home so I might get it during year end sales.

Jun 30, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #30 of 40
Violectric V281/V220. Really big knobs. I know that sounds like a smutty joke, but in reality, it means the volume pot is almost as big as a desk clock ... it's readable. Easy to see how far you're turning it up or down.

I have the V281, would happily pick up a V220.

Hmm. Apparently the knob is so big that there are problems with the shaft, and you have to play around with the shaft a bit to get the knob nice and firm.

About the loose knob.
The shaft from the potentiometer is made of steel while the massive knob is made from aluminum.
Unfortunately this mix of materials sometime causes a loose knob.
Normally a 1,5 mm allen key is supplied with the unit to fix the knob.
To come out of this trouble we could use a smaller knob or one with a plastic insert - but we don´t want to :wink:

Best regards, Fried Reim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back